Jump Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump Start

Did a quick search but in a hurry so I'm gonna post in up hoping for a quick response...

My car's dead (left the lights on with the turbo timer )

I can jump it from the battery terminals fine or are there jump points anywhere else? I remember reading about someone frying their ecu mind you that's because they connected the battery backwards.

Someone mentioned in the thread to use proper jump points. Are there any I should use specifically or just battery?

Thanks in advance.
    DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

If you have a hill near you, I've rolled a standard car ahead a bit then popped the clutch in 2nd, crank the key over and it will give it may crank over. Mind you I did this with civics and corollas when I killed the battery, not a skyline

I've jumped my car with the +/- terminals when I left my lights on, ECU is still fine.
    sigpic
    89 Nissan Skyline GTS-t sports limited sedan
    4 door love.

Comment

We used a battery booster on my car to start it -

DenLors Tools Plus LLC sells quality automotive specialty tools auto shop supplies and car service equipment. Free shipping $199. Automotive mechanic repair tips with how to info and more!

It will blow the fuse on + cable if it gets a surge of power.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

on the dead vehicle: positive on battery, negative to engine ground

on the booster vehicle: positve and negative to battery

dont put negative on positive.

Comment

as long as you dont mix the cables up you wont hurt anything.

the reason why you pick a ground point away from the battery is for safety of a potential explosion, im sure the likelyhood of this happening is slim, but if you pop the hood and get a strong odor of hydrogen (smells like real bad eggs) i would pick a ground point away from the battery. i think Batteries release Hydrogen gas when they are discharged, but usually poping the hood and a breeze takes it away.

Comment

Thats right that batteries can produce hydrogen gas (not 100% sure, but I think this takes place during charge), but it doesn't smell like rotten eggs. Hydrogen has an odorless gas; hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is likely what you smell.

Comment

I jumped it from the battery and it was fine.

I've done it tonnes of times with tonnes of cars, but I read something in another thread like I mentioned. I know the order to connect in and everything just wanted to double check.

I ended up hooking the thing up to a trickle charge for a little bit and then started her up and went for a quick cruise.
              DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

I believe the idea behind using an engine ground while jumpstarting is that your starter has a much better connection to the engine for a ground than it does from the battery. Makes for a much quicker start than going thought the battery.

That said I usually don't care and just use the battery terminals.

Comment

usually at the farm if we need to jump start a tractor for the first time we just hook it up to the starter, but cant do that on our cars obviously or your asking for trouble lol

Comment

Originally posted by mfroese View Post
                    If you have a hill near you, I've rolled a standard car ahead a bit then popped the clutch in 2nd, crank the key over and it will give it may crank over. Mind you I did this with civics and corollas when I killed the battery, not a skyline

I know technically you're not supposed to push start a vehicle anyways...but could you do this with a GT-R (I'm assuming one should pull the fuse when trying this), or would it hurt anything?

Comment

if you jump the car connecting from the battery directly to the other battery you're not just starting the other car, but also charging the battery of said car.
                      It puts added load on the boosting vehicle.
                      By grounding out on the car and not on the battery you are effectively starting the car with the boosting cars battery and eliminating the dead battery from the circuit you're making.
                      Also if the car is not starting due to a bad ground wire or something, this will get it started anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X