potentially overlooked swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potentially overlooked swap?

i recently found a replacement RB20 for my skyline. looking at the motor itself kinda got me thinking, is there another way to power our cars?

i looked straight at the RB20 after getting it out of the trunk of my sentra and started to think about how easy it was to actually find the motor. took me 30 minutes to find the replacement, but the 'what if i couldnt find one by spring' came to mind. i am considering selling off my motor pretty soon if i can find some more info about swapping in the more common to find KA24DE and how to get it to run nicely. i plan to turbo it anyways, and the extra displacement is always welcome and nice. ease of parts to find for the most part is another reason why i am looking into it.

since an RB20 will go into an S13 with relative ease, can the same be said for the KA24 going into the R32? id imagine it would be almost the same, swapping the front subframe and all that stuff, but is it just that with a bit of wiring?
    whats going to power my skyline come spring?

is this a joke?
    Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Originally posted by RABBIT View Post
      is this a joke?

im dead serious, id swap in a KA for the RB if it was as easy as the RB into the S13.

i can see quite a few advantages to it as well, one being the center of gravity is shifted farther back. another one would be losing 200lbs or so of weight.

Comment

don't do it man..

If you really want to swap swap it with SR20DET Blacktop from S15.

Comment

Originally posted by flipridah17
          don't do it man..

If you really want to swap swap it with SR20DET Blacktop from S15.

that could be another option. the reason why i questioned the KA24 is cause they are in essence a dime a dozen, and theres one around every corner. an RB20 is quite a bit harder to find compared to the KA24, and costs just a bit more. the SR20 on the other hand, costs quite a bit more then either of those motors, but parts are somewhat easy to get ahold of.

Comment

Originally posted by linedriver View Post
            that could be another option. the reason why i questioned the KA24 is cause they are in essence a dime a dozen, and theres one around every corner. an RB20 is quite a bit harder to find compared to the KA24, and costs just a bit more. the SR20 on the other hand, costs quite a bit more then either of those motors, but parts are somewhat easy to get ahold of.
            yeah that's what I noticed too.. But not sure about power gain/loss on that swap.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by flipridah17 View Post
              yeah that's what I noticed too.. But not sure about power gain/loss on that swap.

Good luck and keep us posted.

im just trying to gather some info about the actual swap process. ill custom make some mounts to shift everything back and fourth if i have to, but i dont think its needed. the RB crossmember works nicely on an S13, so i figure a KA corssmember will work nicely on an R32 as well.

as far as power loss goes, off the bat im going to lose around 100whp which should be gained back once it gets a turbo slapped on and tuned. even then, im still shaving easily 100lbs atleast with just the motor alone.

my main concern is the wiring once it all goes in. i still like to keep the amenities intact, so im probably going to have to use the KA AC compressor. not sure what i have to do with the harness before as all the one i have seen so far are hacked up, so i wont know if its a straight swap, or im modifying the RB harness to KA.

Comment

even though i dont condone this wast of time/money/car/engine how about a CA? its got everything you say you want .
                Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

The one thing about the KA that struck me is this. KA + low psi = okay. KA with any relatively decent amount of boost without spending money on it....not so okay.

I always thought rb20's were cheap and relatively easy to find.

BUT, I do ask you this -

Is the trouble of wiring the KA yourself worth the hassle? Yet, even paying someone else? Paying someone to do it alone could be near the cost of a rb20 short block.

Even then, you still need to spend the time swapping the KA crossmember, and then spending your money on a manifold, turbo, lines (weld your oil return to oil pan), management, and the list goes on.

I give you props for perhaps trying something different, everyones going to **** on you for it but whatever.

Comment

SR20DET into R32 has been done quite a few times inside and outside Japan.

On this article about ditching RB20DET, one R32 runs SR20DET + NOS for drifting -

Now, the latest JDM tuning information can be obtained! At last, the very first world portal site dedicated to the JDM car tuning culture is here, JDM Option International.

Same with Supra engine, Nissan L28, RB30, RB25, RB26, RB24 (stroked RB20), VQ35, etc.

Only thing I don't like with 4 cylinder is the hp limit's of stock internals are reached earlier.

In theory cast stock pistons are capable of 100hp per cylinder.

4cyl x 100hp = 400hp

6cyl x 100hp = 600hp

Also shortblocks are alot weaker on SR20DET motors and have to be sleeved (From what I can remember JUN sell a kit for this) when exceding around 400-500hp at engine. RB20DET has a shortblock capable of 500hp+ without cracking or needing to sleeve shortblock.

Not to mention you have to upgrade to 60mm throttlebody from 54mm throttlebody on SR20DET (60mm throttlebody is stock on RB20DET).

If you want a good 4cyl fom Nissan stable, FJ20DET as it has solid lifters in head, 256 duration cams as stock equipment. Saves $$$ on upgrading head.

Or if you want a modern version, SR20DET from Nissan GTi-R, as it has solid lifter, 248 duration cams as stock equipment.

Stock SR20DET ECU can be retuned with Nistune.

Cam specs are here for FJ20DET, SR20DET, RB20DET, etc -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

how about a CA? its got everything you say you want .
                      i havent really see that many CA engines for sale. i go to the local forums, and see a bunch of KA engines going left right and center, and most come with tranny and engines harness' for less then $200, so replacement and cost will not be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Zacho View Post
                        The one thing about the KA that struck me is this. KA + low psi = okay. KA with any relatively decent amount of boost without spending money on it....not so okay.

I always thought rb20's were cheap and relatively easy to find.

BUT, I do ask you this -

Is the trouble of wiring the KA yourself worth the hassle? Yet, even paying someone else? Paying someone to do it alone could be near the cost of a rb20 short block.

Even then, you still need to spend the time swapping the KA crossmember, and then spending your money on a manifold, turbo, lines (weld your oil return to oil pan), management, and the list goes on.

I give you props for perhaps trying something different, everyones going to **** on you for it but whatever.

although the RB20 i bought was cheap, and somewhat easy to find, i dont have the patience to wait for one in the middle of summer if it ever goes on me. it started knocking on me at the end of the season, so i had a ton of time to find what i needed.

although wiring might be a hassle, it only has to be done once, after that, it can be reused over and over again. i might try and tackle it myself, if i cant get it to work, ill pay someone to do it.

the thing with the KA crossmember and it having to be changed out, my motor has to be changed out anyways. i have a hoist at my disposal, so taking the time to swap it out wont be a problem. as far as getting parts to turbo it, i have 90% of the parts needed sitting in my garage that were supposed to be for my other project car, so the only thing i really need is a manifold. the KA can always be prepped for whatever it needs before it goes into the car anyways.

although alot of people are going to **** on me for attempting to do a swap like this, its not like they are spending their money on it. i can do whatever i want with my car anyways.

Comment

is this a joke?
                          he can do it and call it a RB24!?

if you want try it out, they are nice responsive motors under boost, i definatley dont think its the best idea, as someone mentioned already, after everything is done you could have a well on your way RB25.
                          not saying i would do it, when its in a S chassis its sweet but in a skyline haha, im bias though love the RB engines...
                          but if parts availability is what you want...

Comment

Steven,

Remember my first engine swap that I did from an RB20 to an RB25 3 years ago? It was an NA motor and I regret having done it in terms of price. I dont know about the internals of a KA, but on an RB25DE, the pistons did not have oil squirters and an NA motor does not particularly fancy a turbo slammed on to it. I am also sure that the KA would also have a higher compression ratio (more than 9:1) just like its naturally aspirated RB brothers (RB20E/DE and RB25DE, etc..). It is a risky proposition, but yes, a doable one. You go right ahead and experiment with it.

From what I know, the FJ was the motor that formed the basis of the RB26, and as such is a grandfathered version (in a sense) of the RBs. It is a very robust engine and I have seen Datsun 510s running FJs. CA on the other hand is also very strong, but you are losing displacement. Why would you want to go down to 1.8L vs 2.0L that you have right now?

To be honest, I am seeing more and more RB20DETs becoming available with every passing month, and the SR guys waking up to the RB swaps in their cars.

Here in Toronto, you can get a fully running RB20DET for around $1000. KAs might be cheaper, but by the time you get a KA running with all accessories and turbos, wiring, etc., you may very well have spent more than what you would if just got an RB20DET.

Best is to identify and keep a list of RB20 suppliers locally within AB as well as in BC and ON. I will help you with it if you need it.
                            (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
                            SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
                            HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

honestly whatever ka you find coming from a written off 240 was probably the most bagged on motor, I don't see how this could possibly be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X