Why is this a continuing issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this a continuing issue?

So, pretty much whats going on here. I bought a 1993 skyline gts-t running a rb20det engine. Bout it last year of december 09.

Ran perfectly fine until bout 3 weeks ago I was driving and my car died on me. Me thinking it just stalled, turned it back on and took off and it stalled again. It wasnt going anywere, I got it towed home.

I brought it into a mechanic shop, the guys saying a cylinder isnt firing. He says the cause is a coil in the engine isnt working or some **** I forget. So, he orders the part thro nissan puts it in my car.
    Cost me bout 400 bucks for everything, figuring my car was okay I set off again driving it. Drove fine for bout 10 minutes, and the problem happened again. Start, take off and stall. fml

I go back to the mechanic and he says he'll take another look at it. So he does, and he says the engines starving it self of air induction. Turns out the air cone/filter was run down to ****. So, he replaced that. I told him to make sure it runs before he gives it back because Its getting sickening payin 100-200 bucks for a tow truck to get me home. So, he lets it sit in his yard for 10 minutes. Runs fine.

Well I thought it was all fixed, me being excited having my car back after a month took off to go pick up a buddy. Again, drove fine for bout 10 minutes. After that, start and stall etc.

So I go back to the mechanic, now he's saying mice ate out my air filter, got into my engine and now theres mouse **** in my engine. Now Im thinking two things....How the **** would this be an issue after having it 6 months, why now? What does that have to do w/ one cylinder not firing? Why the **** did u waste 400g on a coil thats useless if its mouse ****.

So he says, it fixed the issue the coil, but now its not running fine.

Now I talk to a few family members that know a bit bout cars, and some friends w/ more experience. They're saying it sounds like the car is starving itself of fuel. Which makes more sence than mouse ****.

My cars been sitting in my garage 3 weeks now and I WANT to get it on the road while the weather is nice. So heres my few questions for you smart people >.> (Im not to great w/ cars, only 16)

Is this guy full of **** or is this viable arguement that its full of mouse poop?
    What should the fuel pressure be for a rb20det engine w/ a stock pump?
    If neither of those are the issues, what do you think the issue could be?

If you have anything else to add it'd be VERY appreciated. My cars been sitting way to long.

Thanks for your time
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

welcome to the wonders of owning a 20 year old vehicle. follow this thread, start from the beginning and work your way down the list could be any of them.

Comment

dont take it back to him he dont know what hes doing.

replace the Mass Airflow sensor, its the big bulky looking thing right after the filter.
      replace the fuel filter first, its regular preventative maintnence anyways. then if the problem keeps going plumb in a inline feul pressure gauge, after the filter. i beleive the pressure should be around 44psi. if the pressure fluctuates or is very low i would replace the pump.
      check the ecu for codes, google this. there is a good writeup.
      if there is no codes i would replace crank angle sensor and ignitor chip.

if you have spark on that one cylinder i would do a compression test, if its below 110 i would be worried. i think around 100psi it causes the cylinder not to fire.
      but if the compression is good its probably a leaking injector thats causing it to overfuel, which can cause your engine to shut off if your not on the gas constantly.
      Last edited by love_boost; 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

about 10 minutes
        Ignition module can overheat and engine stalls after 10 minutes and can't be started. Wait for another 10 minutes or so (ignition module cools down) and can start engine and drive car again for another 10 minutes before engine stalls. Running on a few cylinders is another symptom of failed ignition module or failed coilpacks.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Question is...how does it run when it IS running?
          Does it seem ok, then just quits, or is it a progressive thing that gets worse...worse...then stalls?

If it's kinda instant, sounds like ignitor, progressive could be fuel pump.
          If it always runs kinda crappy even when running, could be the compression is low in 1 or more cyl.

I PM'd you some info.

Rick
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Low compression shouldn't cause the motor to stall. It will run rough and sound a lot like a very lopy cam - something like a cammed muscle car for instance. I'd have to go with MAF. From what i've seen, however, you'd still be able to haul the car around under 3000 rpm. Try unplugging your maf and going for a short cruise, keeping it under 3000 rpm and see what happens..

Coils would cause misfire, a lot like a missing cylinder, so i wouldn't suggest that..
            I would however look at the igniter pack like someone mentioned, could be heat issues.

Check for codes then let us know what you get..
            Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
            www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
            Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
            Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

kinda sounds like what my car was doing found out i was only running on like 12 psi of fuel needed a new fuel pump
              check to see what your fuel pressure is
              Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
              X