camber questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camber questions

hey all i have a couple ?s so i am looking to lower my car but i dont want camber wear on my tires what exactly would i need to elimate camber and if anyone has prices on stuff that would be good

thanks alot
    fox
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Don't lower your car too much (affects vertical rollcentre, camber, handling, tyre wear, halfshaft angle / acceleration, etc). Ride height, suspension, swaybars, etc is worked out via formula's. It's best to buy a handling kit if you don't know how to work it out. Or consult someone who deals with racecar suspension setups everyday.

If you have to lower car to racecar height, Ikeya formula lower arms front and rear, Cusco adjustable upper arms rear, adjustable upper arm front to reset vertical roll centre.
    Last edited by Skym; 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

why do you always have to be so pedantic skym

basically, if you lower the car a bit (<1,25") you'll have to go back for an alignment,
      with the stock adjustments, camber and more importantly TOE should be fairly back into spec

if you lower more than 1¼", than you'll also need adjustable upper control arms for the rear, the added adjustment will be needed
      front will have some camber, but wears slower on a RWD cars than a FWD chitvics

if you lower more than 2", than you'll definitly need front adjustable upper control arms on top of that

the easiest way is to go with AMS parts
      AMS is Canada's premier tuner and parts developer/provider for Nissan Z vehicles (300ZX, 350Z, 370Z), Infiniti G vehicles (G35, G37), and the Skyline GTR (R32, R33, R34, and R35 GT-R). AMS also specializes in performance tuning and OEM servicing of all Nissan and Infiniti brand vehicles.

if you really care about epic handling, than as skym said, you'll want to add upgraded swaybars and roll center adjusters, otherwise don't bother
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

With suspension kits they give you alignment specs, ride height, what alignment parts to change, etc. It's like basic settings, parts to work from and fine tune once you understand how changing this setting affects handling, etc. Also you don't need to buy the whole kit with swaybars, etc straight away. Suspension kit, alignment, etc is usually worked out by a suspension expert who works on racecars.
        Last edited by Skym; 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

it will be for daily and little bit of drifting i only wanna lower it a bit to get rid of the wheel gap
          and i planned on getting an alignment anyways so you guy think if i lower it just abit and get an alignment it should be fine

Comment

Yes, no problems. It's when you lower car so tyres nearly touch the arches, is when alignment becomes a problem.

Nismo Stune (Street tune) suspension lowers car 20mm front (5.3 kgm springs x2), 15mm rear (3.9 kgm spring x2) from factory ride height which doesn't affect alignment much. From what I can remember, factory ride height on R32 GTS-T Type-M is 370mm front (4kgm spring x2), 360mm rear (2kgm spring x2) when stock (I wrote it down somewhere). That's measured from middle of wheel to top of arch on level ground.
            Last edited by Skym; 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Well you guys just answered a lot of my questions.

Thanks!
              Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

ok cool so i will just lower it so tires are just in a bit and then get an alignment and i guess if need be then i will grab some adjustable upper controll arms
                what are a decent brand for a good price cant spend lots just bought lots of other things?

Comment

frankieman has it, ams cheapest option, dont go for that ebay super cheap stuff though.
                  Jesse
                  1990 HCR32
                  2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

Yes Ams or Bings are you best bet in Canada as shipping is cheaper and both companies have car that are running the products with positive feedback.
                    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

im not going to low yet so i am just gonna get an alignment and when get little more money then buy some control arms and go lower

Comment

As far as I know, YMS HCR32 runs the combo (Cusco upper arms, Ikeya formula lower arms) that I'm talking about and laps Tsukuba in 1:01 with traffic on racetrack.

Can see them in these photo's -

What the car drives like with them on and a 1:01 laptime -

残念ながらこちらにはページはありません。サイトのURLをご確認いただくか検索をお試しください。

Group-A R32GTR with 550hp at engine, setup for Fuji racetrack runs 1 minute flat around Tsukuba without traffic. YMS HCR32 probably could have run 1 minute flat or under 1 minute without traffic.

Anything that looks chromed I would keep away from for safety reasons. Only use painted arms.
                        Last edited by Skym; 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Hmm interesting topic!

Basically, from what i can SEE, our only real "adjustability" in the rear is through the hicas toe arm. Or, am i missing something? That would simply account for toe, as opposed to camber though, correct? How would they adjust the camber then?

I was always under the impression the upper arms (mostly) would adjust this, and why i'm looking to purchase these front/rear for my lowered car..
                          Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
                          www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
                          Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
                          Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Can adjust camber, toe. There are camber adjusters, but very limited in how much you can adjust them (hence why you need adjustable arms when going past certain ride height). Some after market camber adjusters (Whiteline?) are bushes with pin (goes through centre of bush) that has a slightly off centre hole in middle of bush.

Driftworks adjustable arms are painted -

Last edited by Skym; 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                              Hmm interesting topic!

Basically, from what i can SEE, our only real "adjustability" in the rear is through the hicas toe arm. Or, am i missing something? That would simply account for toe, as opposed to camber though, correct? How would they adjust the camber then?

I was always under the impression the upper arms (mostly) would adjust this, and why i'm looking to purchase these front/rear for my lowered car..
                              the inner bolt on the rear upper control arm has an eccentric washer that allows for minimal adjustment
                              sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Working...
                              X