no power steering/hicas/speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no power steering/hicas/speedo

So i am sure that its my speedo cable that has snapped on me near the transmission end of somewhere else along the line. I cant see any visible damage behind the cluster.

Anyways now the car just randomly started making a putting sound. It reminds me of a lawn mower starting up. The engine is shaking especially around 1500rpm. I have no idea where to start for this, i was just driving along the highway in 5th, was getting up to 3000rpm then out of no where it started running horribly and making a putting sound.

If anyone knows what this could be please let me know asap as i need the car for work mon - fri every week... I will get a video up shortly so you can hear the actual sound.

EDIT: let car sit for 15 minutes, tried to take video of the sound. Cant reproduce the sound.. car was running fine after 15 minutes. Could this issue be tied to the broken speedo?
    Last edited by evolution23; 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM.
    1989 GTR - summer toy
    2011 Ram - winter beater

google it! its been covered many times. Your plastic piece "speedo coller" is spilt and wont be able to read your speedo cable. Its located behind you cluster so you will need to take it out.

The powersteering is acting up becuase your ECU is gonig into limp mode due to speedo. I say take cluster out and replace it, or just glue it back together:P
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

I have a speedo cable in good shale available and ready to ship out if need be. Anyways let me know. I believe this should be the problem as this has happened to me before as well
      Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Pulled cluster, on the white coller on the back of the cluster theres some cracks, i glued and held them together, will try it out tomorrow. I checked every fuse i can find and none are blown, I cant read japanese tho so i have no idea where my power steering or speedo fuse(s) would be. Or is it a relay and not a fuse?

Is there anyway i can check my cable to see if the speedo cable has broken somewhere?
        Last edited by evolution23; 05-26-2011, 01:40 AM.
        1989 GTR - summer toy
        2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

well.. it seems nothing can go right with this car... one thing after another and now its 2 things... updated the thread.. any help is greatly appreciated.. otherwise this car is going to a new home as it is not nearly as reliable as i need...
          1989 GTR - summer toy
          2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

start with what you know is wrong, replace your speedo cable, many of us have had to. it will make your hicas light go away, steering not be heavy, and obviously have your speedo workin again lol. as for the putting sound, who knows really, it could be spark plugs, coils, ignitor.... and the list can go on and on. as for reliability with a car that is 20 years old you cant really expect it to be picture perfect.

Comment

yeah i didnt expect it to be perfect thats for sure, i knew it had a couple flaws to begin with but i need a vehicle mon - fri then i get 2 days off from class and work and pretty much every weekend i have spent fixing something on this car lol.
              1989 GTR - summer toy
              2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Working...
              X