starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problem

on my way home yesterday my r33 suddenly dropped rpms while i was driving and stalled out, i tried restarting it a few times with no luck. thinking its a fuel problem i changed the fuel filter but no luck getting it started. if and when i do have it running, it dies out again right away, if i try driving it once i get it started it backfires and stalls out within a minute. i cant figure out what it is >.<

any suggestions anyone? is it my fuel pump or maybe coilpacks?

Could you possibly have done this after a hard pull? I have seen the Gtr blows intercooler pipes off. But I am having a similar problem and know for a fact it is not the piping so I am going to go to the ignitor after a little fiddling with the plugs
    Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

definately wasnt after a hard pull, i checked all hoses and piping to see if anything came loose. it cranks over but most the time it wont start, if it does it sputters out and stalls again shortly after, thats where im thinking its a fuel problem. do you think the fuel pump would do this?

Comment

Igniter chip my friend

Comment

Make sure you double check the intercooler piping, including the one under the front bumper (you have to remove the front bumper) before you start replacing parts.
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

i double checked the intercooler piping and they are all secure, i pulled the fuel line just past the fuel filter to see if fuel is flowing and it is, so now i assume its ignition. how would i go about testing to see if its my igniter chip or coilpacks or anything else

i was also able to get the car startd, after about 20 seconds it stalled out again, after it stalled tried to restart and wouldnt.
            Last edited by Pegger; 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I doubt it's coilpacks. Chances of them failing all at once is 1 in a million. They usually fail one at a time and cause misfiring.

Usually you replace the ignitor chip with another one if you know someone around your area. You can probably test the resistance on it, however I have never done it so I dont know if it's useful or not.

Comment

Hey bro sounds just like what mine did with the igniter gone good luck

Comment

So if that's the issue how do I fix it?

Comment

Depends on which series of R33 RB25DET.

With Series 1 the igniters are in the ignition module (square looking box) on top of back of engine.

With Series 2 the igniters are inside each coilpack and ignition module is smaller.

Why the igniters are inside each coilpack is due to you can turn each coilpack off via Nissan's Consult (handheld diagnostic computer) when checking for faulty coilpacks. On R32, Series 1 R33 you had to remove coilpack cover and unplug coilpacks one at a time to find faulty coilpacks.

Could be AACV, fuelpump failure, ignition module, CAS, just to name a few.

But those symptoms do sound similar to a failed ignition module. Usually does it after 10 minutes or so of driving and engine can't be started until ignition module cools down.
                    Last edited by Skym; 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I had the same issue, my issue was a coilpack. Check those first bro
                      Originally posted by Robski
                      do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

sweet thx alot guys, got some on order now.. just a bummer having to wait for shipping, ill keep ya posted if that resolves the issue

Comment

I fail to see how a failed coilpack would prevent the car from running....

Unless they all failed, which is HIGHLY unlikely, the car would still start but run rough since it would be misfiring.

Comment

Working...
                          X