Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have a blown turbo or is my motor just burning oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a blown turbo or is my motor just burning oil?

So my car is running really good it's a rb20det with a rb25 t28 turbo on it and running 14 pounds of boost. It seems to be fine and it dose not smell like burning oil at all when I'm driving it around town like a normal person but when I really stomp on it it and go through a full long gear it pulls good but when I shift and let off of it for a second and than stomp on it again it will blow huge cloud of smoke out the back for a few seconds and then it clears up but I know it's oil it's blue smoke and smells. Could this be turbo seal or something else. I do know the turbo has some shaft play and has had a Bee-R on it for awhile so I'm guessing seal???
    If anybody could chime in that would be great!

Pull your Dump pipe off and have a look.

Comment

Just had this happen and yes I do believe your seal is gone. I would say get a nice steel wheel rebuild done and you'll be rocking at 14 pounds for a long time
      Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Oh really so it's possible to rebuild the stock rb turbos?? Not that it really matters anyways I'm just gonna throw the t25 back on unroll I am ready to buy my turbonetics turbo!

Comment

Oh ok. Won't pull as hard but it will do the job. And yes they are all rebuildable.
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

whats the cost for a Rb25 turbo rebuild? with steel wheel
            A true race legend is someone who doesn't waste there time racing when its not necessary!!.. BUT THEN AGAIN.. Trash TALKING STOPS WHEN THE PEDAL HITS THE METAL...:x

Comment

My buddy had the same issue in his 98 si civic. ewwie. Anyways, on topic. He had the same issue. It was his turbo seals. He'd drive normal, it'd be fine, he'd punch it. He'd blow smoke like a chain smoker.

I hate civics, but damn. Does that thing fly with 19 pounds of boost!
              Originally posted by Robski
              do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

I had be wondering the same I thought about rebuilding a stock rb25 turbo but them again I wanna go external anyways and I'm sure its too much to get I done up with a steel wheel.

Comment

Mine pushes oil all the way up the intake, found about two shot glasses of oil sitting in the "j" pipe, rb25 turbo on the way!
                  1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                  -Bruce Lee

Comment

I had the same problem with my rb25det and oil was all over the, turbo, pipes, intercooler, etc ... After putting a rebuilt turbo, cleaned all the pipes, intercooler, intake(upper, lower) changed gaskets here and there, basically cleaned everything, and changed alot. everything was like new. After all that, same problem!! Did a compression test, bad numbers. when pistons were removed, rings were broken, 4 pistons broke as soon as I touched them. I believe if the rings are broken, oil can go everywhere. Do a compression test just to be on the safe side and not to do the work double.

Comment

Kinda wondered about that too, pulled all the plugs and they all looked fine. I would think that if rings are toast, there should be some telltale signs on the plugs or a misfire of sorts. Gonna do a comp test just to be sure.
                      1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                      -Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                      X