Trans-swap: 4WD to RWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans-swap: 4WD to RWD

As title says, I've had about enough with this damn engine and decided by the time I get everything replaced and figured out, I'll have spent well over the 1300 it will cost for a new rb20. So in a couple months i'll be getting an RB20DET that WORKS from JDM Source in Calgary but it comes with the RWD transmission. I have a GTS4, so what kind of annoying **** will I run in to when swapping, and is it even possible? And can the stock 4wd trans take over 400whp? (That's my plan :P)
    91 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET

Should bolt up with no probs, the front half of the tranny is identical. The only real difference I can see is the xfer case bolted on to the rear of the GTS4 trans. My GTS4 currently runs an AWD trans with the front diff and shafts removed, so basically a RWD with an AWD tranny.
    1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
    -Bruce Lee

Comment

So What do I do for front axles? cuz the front diff is a part of the oil pan so i will have two front axles but nowhere for them to go. Don't I need them?
      91 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET

Comment

I think they either swapped my pan or welded it up. Currently my car has no front diff or shafts at all, just the rear shaft to the diff. I haven't had a chance to take a close look, only had this car for a couple months now. I could snap some pics this weekend and post em up for you, maybe it'll help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Bruce Lee

Comment

Sure. And by the looks of your sig we have identical cars :P
          91 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET

Comment

Of your going to do the swap to rwd which I wouldn't personally then you will need a new oil pan eithe a rb20/25 will work. But if you would like I have a perfect working gts4 trans in great condition I'll sell you for 50$ plus shipping. Awd is great and if you want rwd you can always pull the fuse or get an arrears controller. Awd is great especially if you have this as a daily and must winter drive it
            Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Well I'm swapping an rb20 for an rb20 it's just the one i have is 4wd and the one im getting is rwd so im pretty sure it would come with the correct oil pan. If nothing else i'll just transfer the pan and trans but i'd like to lose the extra weight eventually.
              91 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET

Comment

Same cars, same color, lol. I winter drove my 89 GTST with no probs. Just slap a good set of winter rubber and you'll be fine. I plan on driving mine this winter as a RWD. I even drove my Turbo sentra spec v in the snow and it was pushing 310hp at the wheels, and out here in Edmonton we get some heavy snowfall and -30 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                X