Oh Sh$& I have low oil pressure!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r33_gtst View Post
    Sure that is some safe oil pressure levels, but that's on a cold start, cruising and idle. RB motors are notorious for oil starvation due to weak oil pump gears (this is why many companies make RB oil pumps and replacement internal gears) and lack of oil supply at high rpm's. This is why an oil pan baffle is needed because oil can't get to the pump due to acceleration, braking, turning, ect. My oil pressure numbers are about the same as yours, efficient for cruising and spirited driving but nowhere near what is needed to rev past recommended rpm's or continuos track lapping.
    This is RB26 related, not RB20. I disagree with the lack of oil supply at higher rpm's, i've yet to see an rb20 die from oil starvation, even up in the 9k range which i'm running now, even with the stock oil orifice and pump, and it's tracked / driven quite hard. As long as your oil levels are higher than the proposed value (to an extent), you'll avoid seal damage and still maintain solid oil pressure without the necessity of a baffle. Of course a baffle would be ideal, but it's not necessary unless the car is solely a track car where it's seeing these conditions 100% of the time.. The RB26's faced more oil issues, simply because like Frank states, the oil pump had a flaw, as well as the drive being chewed to pieces due to horrible engineering, i suppose.
    Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
    www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
    Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Working...
    X