R32 oem lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 oem lsd

As my RB25 is under construction to be swapped in, I'm planning on getting rid of my Nismo 1.5 Way LSD, as it is a little too aggressive for my liking (Car is 95% daily driver, 5% track car).

I did some research and the R32/R33 GTS-T models came with an optional VLSD. I was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions:

- What would I be looking for, an R32 LSD or R33 (since my RB25 S1 came out of an R33)

- Where can I find one?

- Is the OEM LSD much less aggressive than the Nismo 1.5way?

Thanks guys, appreciate any input.
    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Ill trade you mine. Stock VLSD, non-abs and 5 bolt axles. Not sure if 2 door and 4 door pumpkins are the interchangeable tho.

- It would be easiest to find a R32 gtst VLSD in a pumpkin and swap it in. Just make sure ABS or Non-abs and your half shaft bolt pattern are the same. Shafts can be swapped around but not sure on what swaps where. I believe R33 VLSD was an active LSD and in a different pumpkin than R32.
    - ME. lol. Im sure torontoJDM has one on the floor.
    - Way less aggressive and not predictable, I have to use the car to initiate and not rely on the Stock LSD to get me sideways.

Comment

Thanks for the info, great stuff right there!

I would have given you dibs on a trade but unfortunately the diff is already gone, I should have been more specific.

As for changing simply the inside gears of the pumpkin, would I need to replace anything other than the VLSD? Obviously I'd have to get fluid to Oem spec, but anything else?

Thanks again
      1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Anybody else have any input?
        1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

i just picked up an R32 GTS VLSD man, i truthfully dont think it matters the engine you have. I have a Nismo 2 way, and im the same way its to aggresive for me, and sure its adjustable but rather just swap it and make $600 lol!

Comment

Originally posted by dodger94 View Post
            i just picked up an R32 GTS VLSD man, i truthfully dont think it matters the engine you have. I have a Nismo 2 way, and im the same way its to aggresive for me, and sure its adjustable but rather just swap it and make $600 lol!
            Exactly where I stand. Where did you get the VLSD from?
            1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

I think every VLSD the gts-t has are all worn out and don't even lock anymore.

You might was well just swap in a GTR rear end.
              Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

Get a VLSD from an R32. They're pretty easy to find and not very expensive. They act a lot like open difs after ~70 000km in terms of how they feel. If you want something more aggresive you can always add a shim to the oem vlsd later on. Small shims won't make much of a difference, larger shims will make it act more like a 2way.
                Last edited by A18; 11-01-2011, 10:49 PM.
                Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by C-unit View Post
                  I think every VLSD the gts-t has are all worn out and don't even lock anymore.

You might was well just swap in a GTR rear end.
                  Originally posted by A18 View Post
                  Get a VLSD from an R32. They're pretty easy to find and not very expensive. They act a lot like open difs after ~70 000km in terms of how they feel. If you want something more aggresive you can always add a shim to the oem vlsd later on. Small shims won't make much of a difference, larger shims will make it act more like a 2way.
                  Great info guys..

Looks like I'll do some looking around, but C-Unit is right, there's no real way to tell if it is worn out before purchase. At the end of the day, the car is a street car, I just wanted something decent for if I ever put it on the 1/4 next summer.
                  1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

GTR one is a good upgrade but you need the half shaft and hubs. It is a lot stronger. It locks like an a/m unit yet it OEM quiet. You can probably get one for under 300 with everything. I would say it is the best alternative for street if you are looking for an upgrade beside A/M.

Comment

Hey C-unit, so if a guy were going to pick up a gtr rear end with diff/ hubs/ half shaft would you have to worry about any suspension parts not been able to bolt on. Or basicly a direct swap?

This is the kinda info I have been looking for.
                      Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Thanks C-unit I'll look into the GTR rear. And yes as asked above, any fitting issues or just bolt up ?
                        1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Everything will bolt up! you need to use the GTS-t input flange on the diff since gtr has a different driveshaft. Also you need a GTS-t/S13 diff cover to fit on the subframe. It's all bolt up, no cutting welding..etc

make sure you have the GTR axle and hubs as well because GTSt are different. Thats pretty much it.

It might sounds like alot of stuff but when you are on it's pretty simple.
                          Last edited by C-unit; 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Awesome, exactly what I'm looking for too. Something much less noisy/aggressive for the street.
                            1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Pete-R33
                              My friend, just sold his Nismo 2 way for $600. He picked up a R32 VLSD for $100 and is swapping that in
                              Your "friend" aka trickey1991 ? hahaha

R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Working...
                              X