Horrible Boost Creep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Boost Creep!

So I picked up an uprated turbo off another skyline site which is a fair size larger than factory and it is internally wastegated. The wastegate flap seems to be larger than the stock one. Actuator pressure is 8psi.
    For a dump pipe, I got a cheap ebay divorced dump pipe. The problem I'm having is I will make the 8 pounds then as my revs rise, my boost creeps to over 14 psi! From what I've heard, divorced dump pipes can cause the wastegate flap to foul and not fully open causing boost creep.
    Does this sound like the problem I'm having? Would switching to a bellmouth dump/front pipe fix this?
    I know some people will just say tune around it, but I would much rather have my boost controllable.
    Can anybody shed some light on this?

What are you using for a boost controller?

Comment

Nothing at the moment. The turbo is installed and I'm just going off the actuator pressure. I will be using my Haltech Platinum Pro with a Haltech boost solenoid to control the boost, but only after I can get the boost controllable. I don't really find a point in setting the boost higher when from 8psi it'll creep to 14psi+. As I see it, if I set it to 14-16psi which is it's peak efficiency range, it will probably creep to 20psi+. And with this nice chilly weather, it's creeping more and faster than it was in the summer/fall when it was installed.
      The only reason the Skyline is out is because my Lancer is in for two recalls yesterday and today so I needed a car to get to work outside the city where buses don't run. Today was a fail though, I got stuck on hard packed snow. Too bad I don't have a few dead hookers in the trunk so I could get traction haha!

Comment

You need a boost controller, even a good manual one will work fine. You have reduced the back pressure so you will generate more boost easier. Do you have a adjustable arm on the wastegate you are using ?
        "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

I have a boost controller but what good will that do when I am getting mad boost creep? If I have the controller set to actuator pressure it will be the same as it is now, and if I increase the boost it will more than likely be even worse than it already is. I almost blew my head gasket already due to a spike to about 18 pounds.
          Yes the actuator is adjustable, but it is in the stock position. My old stock turbo had an aftermarket actuator with an adjustable arm and it run fine and held boost perfectly with no spikes or creep ever. With or without a boost controller. When it blew, I swapped it out for an uprated one and since it was already apart I threw the divorced dump pipe in too.

Comment

The boost controller should react fast enough when boost is increasing that it will not let it boost past the set target. Is it creeping in every gear ? My wrx would only do it in 3 and 4 and WOT but the boost controller handled it
            "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

It creeps every gear. I'm starting to think that it's the divorced dump pipe

Comment

If u can, reach down there and remove actuator. Grab the wastegate flap arm and try and move it back and forth to see how much movement you have. Im thinkin it should have at least 90 degrees of movement.

Comment

Working...
                X