Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation/Sputtering as well as Engine light flickering under WOT

HI there guys.
    Ive still been trying to figure out my hesitation problem, recently it has been getting worse.
    The engine light/Cat light ( one with picture of Cat with heat coming up ). That light has been flickering and coming on when i romp on the throttle.
    The hesitation has been getting worse, at times it will run fine, other times it wont let me get past 3000rpm.
    Its like its switching modes, im driving at the same speed and i can feel the car Pick up and actually get faster under the same amount of throttle.
    At first i thought it was the MAF sensor, so i was trying to find one for awhile. Didnt end up finding it and now am second guessing that it is the MAF.
    If anyone has anymore ideas that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by R3217; 09-15-2012, 12:09 PM.

Sounds like maf to me, clean it, or they can be taken apart and soldered, I had the same problem, resoldered and hasnt happened since

Comment

Ive cleaned the MAF many times as well as re soldering it. maybe one of my connections came loose?
      Will the engine light/Cat light flicker if it was the MAF sensor ?

Comment

I'm not to sure about the light, mine didn't come on but I've never seen it on, think someone before me took out the bulb, but I've never checked, it does sound like maf problem, when mine used to do it I'd get out, shake around the maf And it would run fine, could be the connectors too

Comment

In most cases, a flickering check engine light means a misfire is taking place. Sounds like your timing is out to lunch. Try not to romp on it while misfiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
          -Bruce Lee

Comment

So you think the timing is out?

Comment

Timing or something. I know on subies a minor vacuum leak will cause a misfire. Have you checked your plugs and coils too? A misfire, especially a multiple random is hard to diagnose. Make a check list and start eliminating things one by one, coils, plugs, fuel, air, etc. Is your CAS turned all the way to one side? Should be sitting roughly on the middle of the bolt slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM.
              1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
              -Bruce Lee

Comment

Oxygen sensor? It's easy to get at. Unplug it, go for a drive, see if that helps.

Comment

Engine runs too rich? What does your WB show?
                  My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

I would say MAF due to 3000rpm fuel cut rev limiter. Check for MAF error code on ECU.

From what I have experienced on my car, cat / engine check light can flash due to cat temp sensor is not earthed, then earthes when touches chassis (usually the cause and sometimes put cat temp sensor between cat heat sheild, chassis), ECU diagnostic pot / screw on side of ECU is switching between diagnostic, run mode. Or when engine ECU is in diagnostic mode it's flashing a error code on dash.
                    Last edited by Skym; 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Alright guys, i just realized my power steering cuts in and out i guess whenever the car acts up.
                      I read something about a guy having the same issue but nothing was set in stone as to what it was.

Comment

Powersteering weight is controlled by HICAS ECU. Check your alternator, as could be on the way out.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

would that cause the sputtering or is that a whole different thing?

Comment

Hard to say without looking at car. Check alternator (HICAS light might light up on dash due to low power from alternator, unless bulb has been removed), check for MAF error code on ECU. Fuelpump, MAF, ignition system (coilpacks), etc needs power from alternator, battery.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Buddy cleaned the fuel pump for me, still sputtering, noticed that when it its the sputter at 3000rpm where it wont go past, it puffs a bit of black smoke, running rich... so again thinking its the Maf sensor giving to much gas? input?

Comment

Working...
                              X