Is this the signs of a spun bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the signs of a spun bearing?

so im driving my GTS33 get home home and then i realized my oil pressure and here is the pic

this is at idel and you see the needle position,the oil was changed 2k km ago with Castrol Syntec 10w30. so this morning i started the car and oil pressure was over 4 bars. i didnt put a mechanical gauge on yet to check oil pressure yet and i havent drven the car yet as well.

what do you guys think??

Factory gauges are ****. Put aftermarket in and if it's still low then you have a problem

Comment

The sender / sensor needs to be replaced or cleaned. Sometimes the gauge is at fault. Common problem on all Nissan's (I think it was Nissan Patrol, Pathfinder which have the same gauge, sender) that run that gauge, sender setup.

When bearing fails, you'll know about it (can hear knocking sound from engine).
      Last edited by Skym; 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Most of the time, it's the bearings or oil pump.

Put a real gauge on it right now. Less than 15psi at hot idle or less than 45psi at 3000rpm and something is real wrong. (healthy car should be above that - 30psi at idle and 60+psi at 3000) If the numbers are low, change the oil now and see if they come up. If they don't, pull it before it gets real bad - every mile you drive it costs you more money.

There's a a tapped hole in the block right behind the oil filter thing, just above the raised web on the side of the block to put a pressure sender. It's 1/8" BPT though instead of NPT so you'll have to find or make a fitting, or retap a brass one that the gauges come with.
        1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
        2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
        2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

this is the out come with the mechanical gauge

new oil 10W40 oil and filter

started at 3:44 car was ice cold

idel 62 PSI

2000 RPM was 62 psi

So we are looking good here??

at 4:14 HOT

idel 25 psi

2000 rpm 50 psi
          Last edited by celm; 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

that's fine.

Personally I use 5W40, my rb's lovin' it. (didn't wanna start another oil preference thread tho)

Originally posted by celm View Post
            this is the out come with the mechanical gauge

new oil 10W40 oil and filter

started at 3:44 car was ice cold

idel 62 PSI

2000 RPM was 62 psi

So we are looking good here??

at 4:14 HOT

idel 25 psi

2000 rpm 50 psi

Comment

Working...