Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB26 tranny on RB20

Hey guys

did a quick search on google and didnt turn up anything that is relevant to my question... everything i could find was going from a rb26 to rb20 tranny or rb25 tranny

i want to do the opposite. i want to put a rb26 tranny on my rb20...

mine is in good shape, but i want a little bit of a longer gear ratio, and soon ill be putting down more power and need the beefyness of the rb26 tranny.

i know i could quite easily bolt up a rb25 tranny to the rb20, but i dont want to spend a buck load of money on a rb25 tranny, as i know rb26 tranny are a bit cheaper.

anyone have any thoughts or how tos on this?

thanks in advance!
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

RB26 transmission has a transfer case for the AWD in the GTR which allows power to be transferred to the front differential as well as providing drive to the rear. There's no real way to use that style of transmission in a solely RWD car, which is where the need for a purely RWD box comes in to effect. Youd probably have quite the bit of trouble if you did fit it as I'd imagine you'd need the clearances (raised) in the floor pan that the GTRs have to house the transfer case bulk. You need an RB25 transmission if you want something beefier, it's the cheapest option for a reliable transmission that will stand up to some higher power and torque numbers.
    Last edited by ARC240; 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM.
    1992 NISSAN 240SX - RB20DET POWER
    1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

RB26 tranny on RB20

Depending on the floor pan, a GTR tranny should fit no problem. Remember GTS-4's have an RB20 with AWD like the GTR. Basically they are the same car with different motors.
      My old GTS4 had the front diff removed, and the front cv shafts as well as the front propeller shaft. Basically the exact setup you want to run I'm assuming? If so I'd say go for it.
      You will need the cross member and drive shaft as well. If I remember correctly the GTS is a one piece while the GTR/GTS4 is a 2 piece shaft.
      It's been a while so if I'm wrong somebody jump in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM.
      1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
      -Bruce Lee

Comment

ya i obviously plan to remove the AWD aspect and just run RWD... i realize it will be some work to make it work, but i think in the end it will be cheaper to do a rb26 tranny then a rb25... if i say take the bell housing off the rb20 tranny and put on rb26 it should work? no?

Comment

All the bell housings are the same, in the end the 26 will cost you more as you need to weld the front shaft output closed and then wire in the 4wd computer and pull the fuse just to make shure it never tries to engage the 4wd. If you want longer gears put in a GTR rear diff and use a rb25 tranny, an rb25 tranny isnt expensive the ppl selling them are just to stupid to realize that they arnt worth what they are asking for them, its not hard to find one for 250 bucks as opposed to some jerkoff selling it for 5-800$as to where a gtr tranny is acctually worth the 5-800$ depending on km
          TO GRIP OR NOT TO GRIP.... THAT IS THE QUESTION

Comment

RB26 tranny on RB20

It should bolt up no problem I would think. If longer ratios are what u are after, I've read that GTR owners actually put gts4 diffs in to achieve that. You could possibly couple the 26 tranny with a gts4 rear diff, depending on your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
            -Bruce Lee

Comment

well like i said i want to upgrade to something stronger as well, my rb20 will hopefully be putting down 300ish soon and i want to be able to handle that in the tranny and not worry about it grinding and blowing up on me. i could do rb25 if they are that cheap. i was thinking that they were around 700-1000 mark.

Comment

a rb20 tranny will handle 300hp...

Comment

yea but i may be putting down more, i was being conservative saying 300, im going to say more like 350

Comment

it will do up to 400 with shock proof oil

Comment

hmmm, then i need a new one or a better shifter, cuz it grinds occasionally...

my shifter is really loose, so im thinking the bushing at the end of it is done...

Comment

replace the plastic stuff in the shifter put redline shock proof in it your stock tranny will be fine just dont drop the clutch half way into a gear

Comment

I know this thread is old as hell, and I don't mean to resurrect it. But I am having a similar issue. I blew my GTS4 motor, and only had a spare GTST motor lying around. will my GTS4 tranny bolt up to the GTST motor no problems? I noticed the blocks are different between the two. Money is a bit of an issue atm as I just need to have my car back on the road and functioning.

Comment

The trans will bolt to the engine (from memory 2 brackets won't, not a problem). Your problem is that your 4wd sump won't bolt to the rwd engine, unless you use an adaptor plate.

Comment

Working...
                            X