Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Gallery Behind Exhaust Manifold Stud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Gallery Behind Exhaust Manifold Stud?

Hi, I recently purchased a s1 r33 gts-t (longtime dream) that i could finally afford because it wasn't running. I've fixed the issue I had (fuel pump ground) but now that it's running I've noticed a huge oil leak!

I've tracked the source of the leak to the last exhaust manifold stud (the one closest to the windshield). After I run the car and shut it off, oil pours out where the stud is in large quantities. My question is, is there an oil gallery where the stud goes into? or should it be seperate? Do I have a cracked block?

I'm thinking if the stud goes directly to an oil gallery I could just silicone the $H!T out of it and hope for the best. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Either its the valve cover leaking badly or a oil line to the turbo cracked. Remove valve cover. Reseal with gasket maker. If that isn't it then its the oil feed to turbo

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain - Oil on exhaust manifold stud??? - i just recently found oil on the center lower stud/bolt that connects the exhaust manifold to the cyl head. Nothing above it or below it... just the stud coming out of the head is soaked in oil. STRANGE... its like its leaking from the hole where the...

havn't heard of an issue like that on an rb tho, how loose is that stud? can you easily remove it?

I havn't heard of this problem before but if this is in fact the case then long story short

either remove stud, put some high temp sealant and retorque it, or just try retorquing the nut

first 8 post on that forum people tried what I just wrote and it has worked for them
      Last edited by Frankyy; 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

None of the exhaust manifold studs in the cylinder head go into oil passages or anything.
        They are all closed ended so you need to clean the area and recheck where you think it's coming from cause mani studs can't leak unless someone has drilled through the head.
        Favorites
        lucky_cefiro
        you\'re not listening
        entelijint
        stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
        mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
        Originally posted by specialedition
        He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Let the car cool down, clean with brake clean let it leak once more and take a picture possibly?

Seems like the previous owner maybe tried to use a bolt instead of a stud and bottomed out? That's seems highly impossible tho, the threads would strip before that I'm sure

Comment

Okay, Thanks for the help guys.
            I'll try to get out there tomorrow and take a look (if weather permits). I'm almost certain the valve cover isn't leaking. How would the turbo oil line cause a leak out of the stud? And I took wondered how someone could drill right into the gallery without stripping it first. Would high heat sealent be sufficient if that's the case? Could the oil be leaking from just above the mani stud through the gasket? I'm not sure how that much could come out even with a blown ring as it almost seems to pour out at a pretty steady rate even after the engine is shut off.

My other idea could be blown valve stem seals or piston rings causing oil to come out the manifold. I'm not too sure on that though because the engine runs too damn good and there isn't much white smoke out the back (Theres a bit, but that's probably down to the stale gas, cold weather, and oil leaking from around the stud area into the manifold. )

Thanks once again, I'll try to get pics as soon as weather permits.

EDIT: Is there a water drain around the plugs that drains out just above the exhaust manifold? I guess the valve cover could be leaking at the plug and forcing the oil down the drain (if there even is one)
            Last edited by IEatRicers; 03-22-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X