Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rb20 gtst transmission conversion to rwd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rb20 gtst transmission conversion to rwd?

hi i have an 1992 r32 gts4 rb20 looking to doing a tranny swap to rwd only. i have the switch that already changes it between rwd and awd, but i want to get rid of the front diff. (when i bought the car the person also gave me the rwd transmission) what kind of parts would i need or if it is even worth changing the tranny's? any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

why not just remove the drive shaft from transfer case that goes to the front diff? then its 100% rwd. Alternately you can fit a rwd box, this will need a custom gearbox mount to the chassis, and you will need to change your rear driveshaft for a rwd one. If you want to get rid of the front diff too, then you need to either cut the diff off the sump and alloy wield up the holes, or convert to a steel rwd sump. To convert to the steel rwd sump, you will need to mod the oil pickup.
    Last edited by spinnanz; 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

well im basically looking to make a drift car and want to remove the front diff for less weight and no point in having it if im making it rwd only. but how would i go at cutting the front diff?

Comment

over here we saw them off then wield up the 2 holes on each side where the shaft for the front left wheel goes through the sump. I'd fit a rwd sump and save your 4wd one so you. can return to 4wd if you ever want to

Comment

The location of the pickup is different on rwd, 4wd block. There's photo's on here somewhere of the different location of the pickup on 4wd, rwd blocks. From memory rwd is back more and 4wd is forward more to clear driveshaft, etc in sump. Also from memory the pickup location that is not used on rwd or 4wd block is blocked off during the casting process.

Nismo sold a rwd sump kit (probably still do but not shown in catalogue, so might be a special order item for motorsport use) and there's 2x different bolt patterns on bottom of 4wd block for rwd, 4wd sump.

Ask R.I.P.S, as he makes the custom rwd pickups, custom sumps and can explain the mods to the rwd sump that has to be done for rwd sump to fit -

RIPS Racing specialize in custom engines and making components you can't buy 'off the shelf', all of our products are well tested and made to an extremely high standard
          Last edited by Skym; 09-30-2013, 02:26 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Here's a novel idea...sell the car and buy a GTS-T. Screwing up a perfectly good GTS4 (they are really rare actually) is really.......you know.

You should have thought a bit longer about what you wanted to do with the car before you bought a baby GTR.

Jon.
            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 09-30-2013, 02:23 AM.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

have done a 4wd to rwd conversion on a stagea rs4 motor into a c34 laurel, ill post pics when I get home of how I did it, cost $15

Comment

I still don't quite understand why you'd want to turn a car thats pretty rare in your part of the world into a drift car, when im sure there are plenty of more suitable and easily obtainable cars you could use. in saying that, here is how I converted a 1997 4wd rb25det from an rs4 Stagea into a rwd 1993 Laurel, both of which are common over here (car cost me $1000, engine $750, extras $250).

1, remove the 4wd oil pickup, keep it. you need the 4wd pickup that has a bolt on mount at the mesh pickup end.

2, cut the pipe off the pickup about 10mm BEFORE the mount (towards sump).

3, get a mild steel pipe that is JUST fits in the hole in the engine block that the oil pickup was bolted to, it need to be approx 40mm long. Incidentally the metal pipe that goes from the cam cover vent to the turbo inlet sock fits of you cut the end off, it also has a nice lip on the end.

4, with a smidge of heat resistant silicone around the pipe, press it 5mm into the block, STOP. Now, with a hammer and something pointed but not sharp (filed flat head screw driver etc) make a slight dent approx 3mm deep in one spot on the pipe, on the the side closest to the outside edge of the block. Now tap the pipe down another 5mm until this dent meets the edge of the holde on the block. The little dent is needed so the edge of the of the rwd sump will fit. Most likely the pickup and sump will touch, this isnt a problem as long as the sump lines up with the rwd bolt holes on the bottom of your 4wd block.

5, bolt the end of the pickup back on via the mount (one bolt) fit a heat and oil resistant braided hose between the pipe and pickup, clamp at each end.

It looks a bit rough but 2 years on, 28,000km and many rev limiter bashes later its going strong.
                Last edited by spinnanz; 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Alright thanks for all the info. I should probly take a second guess before I do anything. At least it's good to know now what I'd have to do to be able to do the conversion. As much as I want to turn it into a drift car, yes there are other optional vehicle that are drift able and I will review my options before I do anything to the skyline

Comment

i have a rwd pickup if your interested. i would not trust that hose hack job..
                    Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

Working...
                    X