Best midrange turbo? RB25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best midrange turbo? RB25

I'm looking to upgrade the turbo on an engine I have sitting on a stand. What's the best turbo for midrange power. I want decent top end but don't want to sacrifice torque, as it's going to be a daily driven street car with mild fuel mods (550cc, 255LPH).

I was debating a GT3076r with the smaller 0.63 a/r. Has anyone had experience with this turbo?

Anyone please chime in with your opinions and suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKS 25/40 (HKS GTRS or Garrett equivalent) -

Short video of a recently purchaced ECR33. Fitted with a lot of parts. HKs turbo, fuel upgrades, aero, suspens, lsd etc. Should be a killer!

Or a similar size Precision turbo.
    Last edited by Skym; 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
      I'm looking to upgrade the turbo on an engine I have sitting on a stand. What's the best turbo for midrange power. I want decent top end but don't want to sacrifice torque, as it's going to be a daily driven street car with mild fuel mods (550cc, 255LPH).

I was debating a GT3076r with the smaller 0.63 a/r. Has anyone had experience with this turbo?

Anyone please chime in with your opinions and suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gt3076r is a good choice
      The .63 at would choke up a little but best for midrange
      Not sure what ar it is on this.car but.good bids

Setting up boost control.. still running around 1bar. Hence wiggles. Not quite right yet

R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
      Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

Skym, what would be a similar sized Garrett turbo to the HKS 25/40? I'm unsure how to compare them both. That looks like a really nice turbo in that vid. Also are they outdated? There's posts from gtr.co.uk from 2008 that say they are outdated lol.

r33_gtst, in the comments the owner says its a 0.82 a/r. Seems like he hits full boost (1 bar) at just under 5000 rpm. That's quite laggy in my opinion but damn does that turbo have a lot of punch!

Comment

Skym, what would be a similar sized Garrett turbo to the HKS 25/40? I'm unsure how to compare them both. That looks like a really nice turbo in that vid. Also are they outdated? There's posts from gtr.co.uk from 2008 that say they are outdated lol.
          There's a thread on GTRC showing the mods on that car and has Apexi FMIC, Nismo exhaust, etc.

HKS GTRS bolt on turbo kit is basically a improved version of a HKS 25/40 turbo (similar specs) -

Or Garrett equivalent, which I think is a GT2871R or GT2876R.
          Last edited by Skym; 01-17-2014, 11:37 PM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I went with a GT3076r .82 a/r. Thanks guys

Comment

r33_gtst, in the comments the owner says its a 0.82 a/r. Seems like he hits full boost (1 bar) at just under 5000 rpm. That's quite laggy in my opinion but damn does that turbo have a lot of punch!

that turbo hits full boost by 3400 rpm
              in the vid he is hummin along at a higher rpm then punches it. doesnt mean thats when it spools by
              spool rate is WOT from a low rpm.
              a t78 greddy turbo is more of a 5k rpm ful lboost turbo
              R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
              Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

or you can also look into a holset setup. very affordable very durable, and can spool upto 40 psi+

Comment

Working...
                X