TPS wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPS wiring help

Long story really short, I'm swapping an rb25 into an r32 and i'm having trouble trying to start the damn thing. After scratching my head this morning looking at it i noticed the second plug on my tps isn't connected to anything and was having weird tps signals. my question is… does this need to be hooked up and how? its the red green black wires at the left side of the picture. Using rb20 harness

Current setup
    rb25 series 2
    Freddy manifold
    800cc sard injectors /w top feed rail
    q45 throttle body
    s2 coilpacks
    blitz bov
    stock turbo
    gm map + arm air
    Aem series 2 plugnplay full standalone
    aftermarket fpr, fmic, fuel pump + more

Any light shed would be greatly appreciated

What's "weird"? What are you seeing for voltage? Should be .48-.5v.

Comment

on the aem software it shows the voltage is at .05 low and .12 max. The weird part is that when i press on the throttle i get no signal change
      Last edited by BlackMoses; 01-24-2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Is the Q45 TB compatible with that TPS? I'm wondering if it's turning the TPS or the TPS may be faulty.

Comment

When i get home I will check out the sensor take it out and try to turn it myself. if i don't see change in voltage then yeah i think i might have a faulty TPS. ill keep ya updated.

Comment

I know one plug is the idle, WOT contacts (contact pins mounted to circuit board on each end of curved track on circuit board) and the other plug is the 0-5V (curved track on circuit board inside TPS). It looks like you only have one plug connected (WOT, idle contact), which I think is the plug on the side (facing engine) of TPS and would explain the 2x voltages you are seeing (idle, WOT).

The TPS is a electronic version of an accelerator pump, if you are used to old school carb engines. It basically stops engine going suddenly lean when suddenly press throttle (MAF is too slow to react to sudden changes in throttle).

Look at wiring diagram, as up to Series 1 RB25DET the TPS should be the same. With later model RB25DET TPS they switched to voltage (set voltage on ECU) for idle, WOT and the TPS looks different. The idle, WOT contact pins would cause problems (bend over time), so that's why they switched to voltage.
            Last edited by Skym; 05-25-2014, 04:16 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Skym above gave a good explanation.

I can say some nissan vehicle requires both plug, and some only 1. I remember in my 91 240sx same design as in the picture if not the exact same, and it did require both (confirmed when the black ground wire on what is the red plug broke in my hand after trying to find why the car had some hesitation). At one point I can remember having one in my hand which had a different plug then the red one you have in this picture (a one where you press the middle with your thumb and pull out), the plug didn't have any wire connected to it, it was only a cover to protection the connection from the TPS. Since the one in your picture has the same lock with the metal clip as I had in my 91 240sx I would strongly suggest it should be either connected or maybe a different model should be used.

P.S. I did some research for a friend that was looking at a TPS exactly like the one in this picture for a custom built intake. Found out that there was various model that all look very similar. The early one have a different shaft size, and the part that connect the shaft to the TPS is completely different, but also found out 1 model could be modify to fit the other, but not the other way around (the shaft had to be grounded down, so which ever has the big shaft could be grounded to accommodate the TPS from that usually went on the small shaft). Also found out that some model read right to left and some the other way left to right. (would depend on which side of the throttle body they would be mounted.

Might be a good idea to include the part # for this TPS (considering you have a Q45 Throttle body). Is it from the RB25 Throttle body, or was it on the Q45 already. (the 2 lines of numbers on the black cover should tell us what it's from) Just can't see them good enough from your picture.
              14 VW Jetta TDI
              05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
              95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
              95 240sx ( powered)
              89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Thanks for the info guys this is really helping. I'll check the # when i get back to my car on monday. would anyone know how to wire up that second plug?

it was the q45 tps that came with the throttle body
                Last edited by BlackMoses; 01-26-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

completely different question but would anyone know where to get these 4 wires from?
                  1. YELLOW – Tachometer output
                  2. ORANGE – Check engine light output
                  3. BLUE – Nissan Engine Temp (cluster)
                  4. PINK – Alternator Charge Dummy Lamp. Ground side.

i've searched countless forums and such, and yes i've used the search button with no definite answers. I've got some idea for the tach output wire but I have no clue for the rest. The wiring harness i got is universal nissan so i have to find these from the chassis side of the car rather than the ecu side. I just wanna get this thing started
                  Last edited by BlackMoses; 05-25-2014, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackMoses View Post
                    Thanks for the info guys this is really helping. I'll check the # when i get back to my car on monday. would anyone know how to wire up that second plug?

it was the q45 tps that came with the throttle body
                    This is the RB TPS wiring diagrams and which plug is which:

Here's which plug is which plug -

Here's the wiring diagram for idle, WOT contact's -

Here's the diagram for the variable voltage (0-5V) -

Last edited by Skym; 05-25-2014, 04:06 AM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Skym i think thats all i need to get this tps issue fixed. Much thanks

Comment

You're welcome. Not sure about the other wiring, but looks like from dash to ECU plug wiring (from wiring diagrams I have seen).

Can buy a translated manual with the wiring diagrams in the back (colours of wires, where they go, etc, well at least that's what I have seen in translated versions of factory Nissan manuals) -

RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                        X