R32 A/Tto 5spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 A/Tto 5spd

So I am getting ready to do a 5spd swap on my R32 and was looking for a list of parts that I will need to do the swap. I am sourcing the parts from across the country so. St want to miss anything. I already have these parts:

-tranny
    -clutch
    -flywheel

I think I am going to need:
    -clutch pedal assembly and all associated brackets, linkage etc
    -brake pedal assembly
    -clutch slave cylinder and line
    -tranny cross member (or are they the same?)
    -driveshaft (or are they the same?)
    -interior shift boot

Anything I am missing? Any wiring/ECUs different? Any help anyone can give would be great.

Thanks.
    1990 Skyline GTS-t Type M
    1972 Datsun 240Z (S30)
    2003 Lexus LS430
    1992 Range Rover on 36s

I have the clutch and brake pedal,

Comment

As far as I know, you'll need a S13 / 240sx manual transmission crossmember for the R32 manual gearbox to bolt in on a R32 auto chassis. The R32 auto crossmember is for the longer? auto gearbox, manual gearbox is shorter?

The factory crossmembers have A?, B?, C? stamped on them. I can't remember what letter the S13 /240sx manual crossmember is, but search the web or forum and you should find out which crossmember it is.

If you wanted, can fit a stronger R33 RB25DET gearbox (similar to stock GTR gearbox, but in rwd form) and it should bolt in on a auto R32 chassis with the stock crossmember. But there's a lack of space around the R33 gearbox in the R32 gearbox tunnel, so it tends to not get enough air to cool the gearbox. Also need to make a custom speedo cable as R33 is electric and R32 is mechanical.

R32 engine ECU requires different kick down tables, so you'll need the manual engine ECU with correct kickdown tables or convert the auto engine ECU to Nistune and swap the kickdown table info over and disable the auto trans ECU input error code (can turn it off) if remove auto trans ECU.

Then need to reset CAS on front of engine / base ignition timing to suit manual ECU. It's 15 degrees BTDC for manual and 20 degrees BTDC for auto at 650rpm. Look at white factory sticker under hood on passenger side for this timing info.

TPS would require removal of one wire from TPS plug which is for the auto trans ECU (affect's shifting?? of auto transmission). I think most leave the wire there with auto trans ECU plugged in.

Auto trans ECU is behind the drivers side kick panel. Basically same place but opposite side of car to engine ECU. You'll need to remove kick plate screws in bottom of drivers side doorway with philips screw driver and remove kickplate. Then remove kick panel screws just under dash on drivers side, remove kick panel. Then remove mount screws for auto trans ECU and screw holding ECU plug in place and unplug ECU. Most leave the auto trans ECU there to prevent the auto engine ECU bringing up the auto trans ECU error code. Probably could earth the pinout to turn it off (fool engine ECU into thinking auto trans ECU is there).

You'll need to bypass the auto inhibitor switch via a wire on the plugs near the fuse box (auto inhibitor switch that allows auto trans to be started in park or neutral), otherwise you won't be able to start the engine. There's how to's on the net somewhere for the auto inhibitor switch bypass or look at wiring diagrams to see how you can bypass the auto inhibitor switch via the plugs.

Need a new manual speedo cable for manual transmission.

Main driveshaft/ propshaft with auto and manual are the same, only the front section is different. Can bolt the front section of the manual driveshaft onto front of auto driveshaft / propshaft. Most just replace the whole propshaft with a manual propshaft (easier).

R32 auto and manual diffheads are the same final ratio, so don't need to change the diffhead.

You can cut down the auto brake pedal if you wanted.

Second hand clutch pedal (reweld / reinforce the spot welds, as they are known to fail), etc

Manual shift boot

Leather shift boot cover

Manual shifter

Stock clutch slave cylinder with Nismo braided clutch hose (or aftermarket)

Stock clutch master cylinder

Flywheel bolts, factory flywheel

Excedy sports tuff clutch -

Or Nismo sports clutch kit with lightweight flywheel -

Manual spigot bush (need to remove the auto spigot bush and requires a spigot bush puller)

Bellhousing bolts, cover to suit R32 bellhousing

Replace release bearings while transmission is out

Gearbox.
      Last edited by Skym; 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

^^damn, that pretty much covers it for me. That's Skym!!!
        1990 Skyline GTS-t Type M
        1972 Datsun 240Z (S30)
        2003 Lexus LS430
        1992 Range Rover on 36s

Comment

R32 gtr speedo drive will fit an r33 box. Just use the plastic gear from the original r33 electronic speedo drive.

Comment

Working...
          X