Exhaust Manifold removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Manifold removal?

Can someone post up a how to get to the exhaust manifold for an rb20? I need to fix my exhaust leak that i have.. i have 2 broken studs and have to get to it! Anyone have a link to video or "photo how to"? Thanks in advance!
    Visit Toptierimports.com photographer, football, automotive

Here is a quick and very basic guide:

-Remove your intake and charge piping from the turbo and move out of the way.
    -unbolt of bottom of the turbo down pipe
    -unbolt the down pipe from back of the turbo
    -At this point I recommend idling the car for awhile to warm up the manifold/manifold studs to prevent breakage (get ready to work fast from here)
    -Remove the oil/water lines from your turbo
    -unbolt your turbo from the T3 flange on manifold and remove from engine bay
    -SLOWLY unbolt your manifold studs using as little force as possible, they are brittle
    -remove manifold and peel out gaskets, clean surface with razor if required
    -first try to drill a small hole in the center of the stud and remove with the reverse threaded extractor kit
    -If that fails you will need to drill out the entire manifold stud, retap the hole with a slightly bigger size, possibly drill out the manifold to accomodate bigger bolts. Get some stainless steel threaded rod and cut new manifold studs to size, shearing the cut ends of the new studs with a grinder to allow them to thread into the freshly tapped block. DON'T DRILL SO DEEP INTO BLOCK THAT YOU HIT THE WATER JACKET!!
    -Use new gaskets and put everything back together!

VIOLA!

Comment

ITs a really long process but you have to do it. do not 1/2 ass it as it will crack again. also make some custom exahust hangers to bolt into the trans bellhousing bolts. this will reduce metal flex and save you from doing this process all over again ! buy all new bolts.

Comment

Working...
      X