Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Catch Can Set Up "How To" - RB20det

Hey guys.

Ok here's what I've done for my set up. Now it's not the best looking yet however, it does the job perfectly.

Now here's what we start with. You can see the stock lines attached to both valve covers. One line goes to the intake plenum/PVC valve and the other goes to the BOV recirculation tube that attaches to stock rubber intake on the turbo. There's also a smaller hose that connects the two valve cover breathers together.

If you do not have an atmospheric blowoff valve don't worry as you just cap the hard tube leading to the recirc hose. If you go to a local Canadian Tire, NAPA, Parts Source, ect.. you'll be able to find rubber caps that you can use. At C/T they are in a red package and the company name is HELP. There's a half isle section devoted to these HELP products so they will be easy to find. You'll see a picture of what one looks like as I have one capping my PVC Valve.

Here we go,

1. Remove all of the stock hoses from the valve cover breathers, Intake Plenum/PVC Valve and bov recirculation tube. Cap both the PVC valve and recirculation tube.

2. Using hose thats oil resistent, I just used some 3/4" braided line from Princess Auto, attach a hose to each breather using adjustable hose clamps as showin in the pic's below.

Turbo Side

Intake Side w/t Cap on PVC Valve

3. Now using slightly smaller 1/2 inch diameter hose (I got mine from my catch can kit) cut a piece that will join both valve cover breathers together. This hose goes across the coilpack cover.

4. Now using a "T" section that the hose will fit on to tight, attach both hoses coming from the valve cover breathers. Then using hose clamps tighten everything up.

5. Then run the hose to your catch can. Where you put it is totally up to you but I just used the space that I had by my battery.

6. You can then run the other hose back along behind the engine and actually (instead of capping) attach it back on the recirculation tube. However, I did'nt want to and lets just say the end is brething ok. :wink:

Well thats about it. The whole thing really should take you under an hour ish, give or take, and doesn't require a whole lot of mechanical know how. I do plan on the changing all the hoses to steel braided later only b/c it's part of the overall look I want under the hood however, any hose thats oil resistent will do just fine. The oil system is NOT pressurized in any way with this set up and I have NO issues.

One thing you must NOT do is attach a hose back to the PVC valve. It's only a one way valve that shuts under boost, you'll pop your dip stick out and have oil come out. Trust me know . You can also buy a small bolt to replace the valve entirely as I will be doing too. It's not needed and becomes useless so thats why I'm gona get rid of it. Plus it'll look cleaner then having a rubber cap on it too. :P

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll be more then happy to help out.

Take care.

Cheers 8)
    RHD DriftinG, DoeS iT GeT AnY BetteR????

Project GTS-R: 1992 R32 Skyline GTS RB20na-> Turbo
    Mods: A few things .
    Dyno Results> 209.2whp/196FtLb @ 7psi

bruce, you know you disconnected the pcv valve.....you're supposed to use the small sides on the valve covers for the rb20det. and leave the big sides as is.

Looks nice tho.

Comment

yep I know the valve is disconnected but eh...who cares bout emissions :P .

Leaving the big ones as is does'nt allow me to get rid of the stock recirc tube, which I don't need now that I have an aluminum intake pipe.

Thanks though for the kind words man, I appreciate it. :wink:

Comment

why did u replace the hose for the valve cover breathers? I think that you could let the stock hose uh?
        Skyline.
        Just drive it.

Comment

^^^

If your talking about the one that joins to the two breathers together, I replaced it b/c the stock one was old and cracked.

Again I'll be switching all the lines soon enough. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by sidewazegtst
            ^^^

If your talking about the one that joins to the two breathers together, I replaced it b/c the stock one was old and cracked.

Again I'll be switching all the lines soon enough. :wink:
            ah oh ! Great post ! but my recirc. hose is already blocked by a bushing , ( cause I got a HKS SSQV bov) so should I run the hose in the recric hose anyway?
            Skyline.
            Just drive it.

Comment

what my engine bay looks now:

and what my recirc hose looks too:

and btw, for everyone who wants good bushing , here are the bushing from HELP (what sidewazegtst talked about)

[/img]
              Skyline.
              Just drive it.

Comment

Well you have to keep the recirc hose plugged where it used to attach to the stock bov.

You can run the hose from the catch can to the recirc hose if you'd like. So instead of where I have my hose leaving the can, you would run a hose back across your engine to the recirc tube and hook it up there. That works just fine.

I can't do that b/c I don't have the stock turbo intake anymore as I now have a custom aluminum one instead.

BTW, your engine bay looks really nice man. Very, very clean.

Comment

do you have to disconnect the hose that goes from the left valve cover to the intake plenum? or can i just connect the hose from my catch tank to the right valve cover?
                  1966 Pontiac Beaumont | 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X | 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type-M
                  1991 Toyota Celsior C-Type Supercharged | 1991 Toyota Cressida | 2008 GMC Acadia

Comment

Well you kind of have to remove the left side hose from the intake plenum. The valve only opens one way, at idle, and if you leave that hose on you'll pressurize your oil system to much and pop your dipstick out. Trust me I know :P . So run both your valve cover lines in to one, then to the catch can.

Either cap the valve or remove it fully and just screw in a bolt.

Comment

is there any negative effects of removing the PCV valve?
                      1966 Pontiac Beaumont | 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X | 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type-M
                      1991 Toyota Celsior C-Type Supercharged | 1991 Toyota Cressida | 2008 GMC Acadia

Comment

The pcv is there to remove fuel vapours from blowby and water vapour that can build up from heat cycles.These vapours cause oil to break down faster if not removed.
                        Ok if your changing oil often but bad if you don't plus M.O.E.
                        like to give you tickets for this kinda stuff.
                        I just ran two cans on mine but kept the lines going in the same general routing so that fresh air is always moving through the crankcase.
                        Favorites
                        lucky_cefiro
                        you\'re not listening
                        entelijint
                        stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
                        mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
                        Originally posted by specialedition
                        He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Originally posted by speedfreak
                          The pcv is there to remove fuel vapours from blowby and water vapour that can build up from heat cycles.These vapours cause oil to break down faster if not removed.
                          Ok if your changing oil often but bad if you don't plus M.O.E.
                          like to give you tickets for this kinda stuff.
                          I just ran two cans on mine but kept the lines going in the same general routing so that fresh air is always moving through the crankcase.
                          could you take some pics of your set-up?

Comment

Boyscout
                            could you take some pics of your set-up?
                            sorry engines in pieces now but heres and old pic

The setup is all the same GTS or GTR
                            Favorites
                            lucky_cefiro
                            you\'re not listening
                            entelijint
                            stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
                            mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
                            Originally posted by specialedition
                            He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

^^

See the good thing with the GTR motor's is the breathers are at the back and allow this type of set up. Doing it on an RB20 would look like ass with hoses criss/crossing the engine bay.

Again though Chris I must, SICK FRIGGIN MOTOR DUDE! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X