Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for sponsors about sponsorship proposals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for sponsors about sponsorship proposals?

I have a question for any of the sponsors on here that currently (or have) sponsored vehicles. What is it that you mainly look for when someone submits a sponsorship proposal, or their "car resume", so-to-speak.

I am an awesome writer and I feel like I've crafted a pretty decent proposal, but I'm looking for that upper leg that maybe one of you could give me. Is there something in-particular you want to see in the proposal; be it formatting, presentation, layout, do I talk the car up, myself up, both up, etc...

If anyone could contribute to this thread that would be awesome
    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
    hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

How are you a part of the car scene? Do you have a show car or are you racing? what are you looking for and how would a company advance from helping you?

With racing, most companies would want some sort of formal portfolio of where you raced, your accomplishments how long you have been racing for ect. I could sit here for a while typing but others will fill you in. Best to get that answered first to have more insight.
    ALLEN PETERSEN
    Number (604) 961-2449
    4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
    RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Hey Carter,

Another thing would be to look for sponsorships from contacts that already have parts on your car? Even though some of there products are there they could offer other products and pay for other expenses you might run into.
      2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
      1969 Cooper S. Restored
      1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Would someone sponsor me if I dropped large amount into my car which I purchased through them?

On a side note, there was a company on here that offered a 5% discount on differentials for my car if I bought both, wore stickers and some other kind of feedback/information gathered about my findings or something of the sort. I found the same ones for %30 less elsewhere, no strings lol.

Seriously though, you'd have to be special in some way to get a sponsorship I'm certain. Some guy (not you in this case) with a 20 year old car needing high performance parts is not what sponsors look for. Maybe someone with an already beast ride, shows won, very well known (maybe to help sell more products?). I dunno. I tried to deal on buying $30k worth of parts through 1 company once for a sponsorship (and better prices) and it wasn't good enough...
        Last edited by NismoS-tune; 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM.
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
          Some guy (not you in this case) with a 20 year old car needing high performance parts is not what sponsors look for. Maybe someone with an already beast ride, shows won, very well known (maybe to help sell more products?). I dunno. I tried to deal on buying $30k worth of parts through 1 company once for a sponsorship (and better prices) and it wasn't good enough...
          Can't sense if your being serious or not but, it's okay to be jealous man, try to keep it off thread though please

Anyways for those looking to pull flame swords out... Some guy (me in this case) in my 20 year old car that doesn't need any more high performance parts, is exactly what sponsors look for... it's already sponsored, it's already got awards, and it already is a beast . I'm going for big names and free stuff.
          /rant

To answer the more productive posts:

Hey Carter,

Another thing would be to look for sponsorships from contacts that already have parts on your car? Even though some of there products are there they could offer other products and pay for other expenses you might run into
          Done this. Most of the companies I've contacted this far are only interested in professional sponsors when it comes to paying other incurred expenses, as for the parts they are willing to offer deals on, I either have no need for them, or my current sponsor offers me the same deals (local economy as well).

How are you a part of the car scene? Do you have a show car or are you racing? what are you looking for and how would a company advance from helping you?
          With racing, most companies would want some sort of formal portfolio of where you raced, your accomplishments how long you have been racing for ect. I could sit here for a while typing but others will fill you in. Best to get that answered first to have more insight.
          Do whatever I can with my car, active member on this site and active member in some of the car communities here in Calgary. Car is show quality and a track monster, won an award at DTP (only show thus far) and was featured in Modified (with more to follow). I race but not professionally, only for the enjoyment of driving fast. I get no compensation to race so I dunno if that counts as "racing" but at the track I hang out with people that often have more money than brains, really easy to sell stuff to. Mainly looking for a company that can help me out with my interior and supply me with free tires.

Like I said, I don't have any trophy girls or world cups or anything but as some people know (and can attest to) I can sell your product no problem. I am good at that, and that is what I'm really looking to try and "sell". yeah my car is cool, yeah it goes in shows, yeah it sends exotic owners away in tears, but on paper you don't get any idea of how well I can push your product, so you lose out on that aspect and as a result my car may fall short. Such is why I am looking to lock down my current portfolio to an "industry standard" level, so that maybe I can get some more sponsors from some bigger players.

Looking mainly for some input on how to organize it, what to put in it and how to ask for it

As a side note, I have no problem in seeking smaller sponsorships and I will put your vinyl on my car if you give me a good deal, but that is not the main purpose of this.
          Last edited by hozer; 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM.
          hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

talk to some of the team toyo street team and see what they have to say.

You are asking for quite a bit for not having much to offer. Anyone can get free stuff and recommend that company. You need to think out of the box. Not bashing, just trying to help. I know a ton of people with much more achievements than a DTP award that dont get jack even with a reasonable portfolio. Look at the toyo team. they go to EVERY DTP show in canada and some of them go to the US to bigger shows to help exposure. its like racing...... you need to pick a series and fallow through with every race in that series. For shows... the same thing, go to every show, talk to the organizers and ask them for advice and build yourself a reputation for you and your car. Not many people get free stuff tho. Lots of the sponsorships get a discount. Its rough times for lots of these companies so they really need to make sure that in some way, choosing you, will help their exposure and sales in the end and that should be considerable.

I think it may be James De Chavez that deals with the toyo teams. Track him down and see what he says. :P
            ALLEN PETERSEN
            Number (604) 961-2449
            4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
            RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by jdms13rhd View Post
              talk to some of the team toyo street team and see what they have to say.

You are asking for quite a bit for not having much to offer. Anyone can get free stuff and recommend that company. You need to think out of the box. Not bashing, just trying to help. I know a ton of people with much more achievements than a DTP award that dont get jack even with a reasonable portfolio. Look at the toyo team. they go to EVERY DTP show in canada and some of them go to the US to bigger shows to help exposure. its like racing...... you need to pick a series and fallow through with every race in that series. For shows... the same thing, go to every show, talk to the organizers and ask them for advice and build yourself a reputation for you and your car. Not many people get free stuff tho. Lots of the sponsorships get a discount. Its rough times for lots of these companies so they really need to make sure that in some way, choosing you, will help their exposure and sales in the end and that should be considerable.

I think it may be James De Chavez that deals with the toyo teams. Track him down and see what he says. :P
              Awesome, thanks for the advice and I get that it wouldn't be free stuff. I have heard that companies like to hear specifics when being asked for something? Parts wise (mainly tires) what is a reasonable discount to request? Or should I even request that at all and wait for them to offer me something?
              Re-reading my previous post it comes out pretty cocky lol... With not much to offer car-wise this is the kind of pavement hitting advice I was looking for, gotta start out somewhere and there might just be a guy that sees potential in the guy driving the car vs the car itself. I will certainly check into toyo. Thanks again

Comment

Sometimes its just about luck.Keep on attending the shows and i'm sure a rep will stop by and offer you something.In 2006 I had a rep from FASTwheels/Federal tire stop by my gtr ,he asked me a couple of questions and at the end of our conversation he offered me a sponsorship with fast wheels and federal tire,but cocky me I said hell no i'm not changing my work wheels for some fast wheels.I regret it cause I could have had many free tires..The only conditions were to attend atleast 10 shows a years where ever they had a booth set up.
                My car keeps on stealing my money .

Comment

Sponsorships in general are a very 2-way agreement. We have a few sponsored cars at VEX, and our sponsored cars work just as hard as we do. In general we look for a car that would be a good representation of what we are, and what we do. We do have a few cars with %100 Parts sponsorships those guys really had to work for it and deserve it. Our suppliers expect proper race results updates, and quarterly updates at bare minimum. Sponsorship agreements are basically a business agreement, and to obtain this you need to be very specific about how you are going to increase business, or brand awareness for your sponsor, in a very positive light. You will need to offset the price of what it costs the business to sponsor you, with what new business or new customers you will gain for them.
                  -Ryan
                  ryan@VEXperformance.com
                  Toll Free: 1.855.VEX.PERF Local: 403.243.1111

Authorized Canadian Dealer / Distributor / Tuner for:
                  Haltech Engine management Systems
                  OS Giken
                  TiAL Sport
                  Garrett Turbochargers
                  Tomei
                  Motul
                  Nismo
                  Rally Armor
                  COBB

Comment

In my opinion its about what you can offer for the company and how you can help their bottom line. At the end of the day, its a business and business needs to make money.

When I was helping Wiring Specialties look for a vehicle to sponsor we went through many people. In the end we selected a high profile car and driver who frequents many races and events and who was willing to sport our company logo in a prominent spot. This helps our exposure with the hopes that it will generate future leads. This particular vehicle competes in several pro-am events and Formula D in Las Vegas, a market where Wiring Specialties could use the additonal exposure.

At RightDrive we sponsor Gabe Sharma. He is a young guy who competes in the Honda Indy Jr. Karting series at Mosport. Bottom line is added exposure but we also do it for other reasons besides business in this particular scenario.

When you are crafting your proposal always keep in mind what you can do for the company, not what they can do for you. Convince them that you are a valuable marketing asset and you will stand a much better chance as being sponsored. Also keep in mind what makes you unique to the company. That is to say dont tel them you compete in races in a market where there name is already well known. This adds nothing for them as they have little to gain.

Comment

Awesome advice in here thus far. Already made some revisions to my proposal and a kind soul has even offered to give it an "industry test". Thanks for all of the help so far guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X