Engine rebuild needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild needed

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to rebuild my RB26 and I thought I'd throw out to the sponosors here first. I would prefer on the west coast but willing to ship east if its a must. I'm pretty sure it spun a bearing on cylinder#5/6 while doing some dyno'ing. We never got to any high revs or boost ( like 3000 rpm 5) when the motor started making funny knock knock noises. Engine was stopped and i've been stockpiling parts ever since. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts needed. Here is a general list of what I got
    Oem gasket kit
    Tomei metal h/g, intake, and exhaust gaskets
    tomei timing bel
    N1 oil and water pumps plus crank collar
    CP pistons .5mm oversize
    eagle rods
    new belt tensioner part
    arp headstuds
    Poncams type B
    ACL main and rod bearings
    Back up crankshaft in case old one is pooooched
    Silicone hose kit
    Well thats all I can really remember right now if you think I'm missing something please feel free to tell me. I would also like to get all the headwork done while its apart i.e. port and polish and I don't know if the Poncams are straight drop in (shims?). So I'm looking to make around 600ish hp at the crank with this setup. Please pm me a quote (doesn't have to be exact) but I'd like to know what I'm looking at. I was quoted $2800 from a machine shop in the thompson okanagan but it would be their first RB26 and I'm a little wary. I haven't chose an ECU yet and will probably be running a PHR fuel system.
    1990 Skyline GTR Nismo #161

I think if i remember right, i was quoted in the area of about 30 hours labour. I cant remember if thats including any parts and or if that includes removal of the engine by the shop.
    If you are on the west coast i highly recomend contacting racing greed in poco.
    Theyve got a 4 wheel dyno on site too so you can probly work a dyno tune into a pakage deal with them.

Amazing work, and really nice guys to bs with. I make frequent stops in there just to shoot the sheet.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Comment

Takeda Enterprise charges $1500 for rebuild excluding parts

considering you are so far away, transporting a 600lb lump of metal would be a pain, you should think about doing the build yourself, the money you save can go into even more awesome parts!

the rb isn't some magical unicorn, its just like any other engine, get the clearances right and torque to spec and you're good to go

should be about $400 to machine the block and have it prepped for steel head gaskets

Comment

Since they will hone the block get it bored a little bit, but not fully so if you ever decide to do a rebuild again you have room

Comment

Originally posted by gezed View Post

should be about $400 to machine the block and have it prepped for steel head gaskets
          might want to check again on prices. for the average build that hes planning nothing too crazy machining will be around $1500-$2000. get a quote on a valve adjustment on a rb26 and youll understand why
          1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

^ head work is very expensive when you get into porting and valve jobs but bottom end is about that price, honing/boring should be around $15-20 per cylinder, plus a deck, line hone the main and cleaning

i guess you'd also have to take into account machining the crank collar $150 and balance the rotating assembly

the stock head already flows really well, no point in putting money into it unless valve lash is out of spec or valves are damaged or if you are planning to go over 500hp, just resurface, clean, lap and replace seals and should be good to go

Comment

im not considering porting. my price includes a 5 angle valve grind. thats it in addition to basic valve lash, decking head and block, balancing rotating assembly, bore, hone, machining crank collar, etc all said and done you wont be able to get it done any where with proper tolerances for under $1500

Comment

is that also taking into account shot block assembly?

Comment

Originally posted by gezed View Post
                  is that also taking into account shot block assembly?
                  no straight machining. parts come back in their boxes. this is not uncommon or a high price ask around youll see anyone with a build even one as standard as this will pay a minimum of $1500 in machine work. more extreme builds are 2k+

Comment

I think we are getting a little off topic. I'm sorry I might not have been clear enough.

I want to send away a large pallet of parts and a dead RB26 and get back a fully assembled long block. I'm not really worried about saving a few pennies here or there, that is why I'm asking what a good budget would be. Please keep up the excellent replies!

Comment

Originally posted by GTR_Russ View Post
                      I think we are getting a little off topic. I'm sorry I might not have been clear enough.

I want to send away a large pallet of parts and a dead RB26 and get back a fully assembled long block. I'm not really worried about saving a few pennies here or there, that is why I'm asking what a good budget would be. Please keep up the excellent replies!
                      id say budget out the door including shipping, machining, and assembly ~4k. i know a few places that could do a great job pm me if you would like

Comment

Why rebore? I'd just hone it and run your clearances loose.
                        My piston to wall gap is just over double the maximum allowance in the service manual and it works fine/no slapping. It gives you more of a safety barrier in case something happens and it gets hot... Ie: leaning out.

Comment

Monkeynuts in Burnaby.. their mechanics from z-tune run a tight shop, and are the second people on my list of 2 people who i will alllow to work on my car... they can get it done and i can get you a deal if you want it done as cheap as possible i am very close with them

Comment

It's not west coast but the only shop I would recommend to anyone. Raymond at silver zinc in edmonton is a skyline guru. Works on everything but does a lot of skylines. I bought a built motor from a member here and gave it to him to install in my car, I didn't ask him to but he pulled it apart a little and made sure everything was done properly and most of it was good but he noticed a few of the shims were marginally out and replaced them. He is very meticulous. Probably not the cheapest but gives you that "peace of mind" that is always nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrjerry73 View Post
                              It's not west coast but the only shop I would recommend to anyone. Raymond at silver zinc in edmonton is a skyline guru. Works on everything but does a lot of skylines. I bought a built motor from a member here and gave it to him to install in my car, I didn't ask him to but he pulled it apart a little and made sure everything was done properly and most of it was good but he noticed a few of the shims were marginally out and replaced them. He is very meticulous. Probably not the cheapest but gives you that "peace of mind" that is always nice to have.
                              Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
                              X