Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too rich=loosing boost?

hey, just a quick question

So i'm trying to sort out my boost issues on my not dead anymore turbo. Tightened up all the leaks that were preventing me from hitting full boost.
    right now its sitting around 16psi and but is running a little rich. fairly actually. about 10.2 average at WOT. however, when i go WOT i start to flutter or flood it sounds like at about 5500-6500 depending on how hard i hit it early. usually by the 1.3 bar'ish point. if i don't WOT it, then i can usually get right up to 6ish before it flutters.
    its hard to describe but it doesn't feel like so much a loss of pressure as it feels like a strong flutter.
    Its not a MAF issue. And its not a turbo issue.
    loose IC pipes are the popular culprit but i already had that issue and it doesn't feel the same really. its not like i'm having a hard time spooling and building pressure its just not translating in the block.

can this be a issue from running too rich in that range? (5500-7000)
    1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Hey Chris, that is the EXACT same problem in the exact same range that i am having, lol. This is freaky.

Here is what is happening with me:

I give gas and the car goes fine up to 6000 rpm or so, and at that point, there is sputtering and I can hear the turbo spool and the air flowing in, but it is not translating into that KICK and the car going faster due to increased airflow. And then it slowly smoothens out.

If I give gas slowly, then the car moves up smoother. But as soon as I give more gas to let the turbo spool in, it starts to sputter. I am thinking air-fuel ratio......and yes, I think its being too rich. But since I dont have an A/F or O2 sensor, I cant really say

Is that what youre having too? If so, then I think we need to see what we have common..........hint hint Emanage....hint hint.........We need to talk this over, because we are running the same EMS, well, almost. I can show you my map and maybe it will make sense to you as to why it happening. Do you have access to yours?

I will call tonight if you want and we can go thru this.
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

I'm thinking Spark plugs

are you gapped at .8mm or 25 SAE?
      Marc-André
      _________
      2.2L RB20 GTS-T
      ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Originally posted by klys View Post
        I'm thinking Spark plugs

Marc, why would it only happen in that rpm range? If it were the spark plugs, wouldn't this problem happen throughout the rev range? As I said, I am also dealing with the same situation, but with me, there is also that slight metal on metal sound, which makes me think its detonating (not sure though)......but then detonation at only 27 deg BTDC would only happen IF I am too lean, right?
        (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by klys View Post
          I'm thinking Spark plugs

Spark plugs, really? wouldn't that be a predominant problem throughout the whole powerband? not just under extreme stress? i guess i could check. maybe coil pack too i guess while i'm at it. the reason why i think too rich is cause when i first blew my IC pipe, and it was running ridiculously rich cause of all the fuel and the lack air, i had the same problem, but at like 3000 rpms. we leaned it out and it got better, and eventually found the ic problem
          1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
            Spark plugs, really? wouldn't that be a predominant problem throughout the whole powerband? not just under extreme stress? i guess i could check. maybe coil pack too i guess while i'm at it. the reason why i think too rich is cause when i first blew my IC pipe, and it was running ridiculously rich cause of all the fuel and the lack air, i had the same problem, but at like 3000 rpms. we leaned it out and it got better, and eventually found the ic problem
            LOL........you said the same thing that I said earlier. I still think its the richness, because you are running 10.2:1, .....isn't stoich around 12:1?

But then again, it is a vicious cycle.........when we run rich, it floods the engine and fouls up the plugs, which do need cleaning up, so maybe I will go down and bring my plugs out to clean them up and regap them to around 0.8mm.
            (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

too true. i should take a look at them and see how they are doing.

as for your emanage questions, i don't know. the tuner here has been doing all of that. i don't know enough about that program to do it on my own.

after playing with it again, it has to be my problem.
              1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

well ...
                IT CERTAINLY has to do when your engine is understress!!

what is air?

if you are 2cm from a live and unprortected 120V power line will you get electrocuted?

no because air acts has an Isolator.

what do you do to overcome this?

you elevate the voltage to thousands of volts.

that's what coild pack and a spark plug does. the coilpacks raised the 12V from the battery to a higher voltage and hence, the electrons can overcome the resistance the air offers. an arc is created as the flow of electron jumps from cathode to anode(tip to ground)

now what kind of engines do we have? turbo yeah?

the density of the air actually increases and from what I gather, it's more difficult for the jump to happen so by gapping the spark plugs you kinda cheat the system

try it out

but the proper tool though it's about 4-5$ at canadian tyre
                Marc-André
                _________
                2.2L RB20 GTS-T
                ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Working...
                X