Panic attack! Please Help!! GTR Dead in the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic attack! Please Help!! GTR Dead in the water

The car was running perfect, I guess this is where things usually go wrong. Did an oil change on the car the other day and now the car runs on 4 or 5 cylinders. Huge miss. The car fired up no problem twice before and after the oil change. Then went to move it back into the garage and it ran like $hit. Checked all injectors and coils with meter and everything showing OK. Looking under the hood there is nothing obviously wrong. Checked all connectors and made sure everything was connected. Checked AFM's and cleaned them to be sure. Still ran like crap. I don't know where to go from here. I am thinking of pulling the ECU and seeing if there are any codes on it. Other than that I have no ideas. Anybody run into this before? Or any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

what kind of oil did you use? I know it seems like a dumb question but if you touched nothing else, and just did the oil, unless you unplugged a sensor or something. Too thick of oil will make a gas engine sound like the pistons are damn near swappin spots.

Comment

I used Royal Purple XPR 10/40. Supposed to be a really good oil and was recommended for the car.

Comment

Did you put too much in?

- Toronto, Canada
        Parts. Cars. Service.
        GTR
        MKIV

Comment

^^^ I was wondering the same thing, how much did you put in?
          1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
          www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Can you describe with more detail what running like sh*t means? idle? boosting? etc
            1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

It is right at the line on the dipstick. I believe it was 5 liters. You fire up the car and it will only run on 4 or 5 cylinders. Just has a huge miss. I try applying a bit of throttle and it is the same thing. I actually pulled the plugs the other night and noticed that two of them had fuel on them. I rechecked the coils and injectors for those cylinders and they are OK. I cleaned all the plugs and put them back in and still same problem.

Comment

Is there a chance one of your plugs crapped out, and you're not getting ignition on one of the cylinders? test to see if you're getting spark on all of them. and check to see if one cylinder is full of fuel
                1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

I didn't test the plugs for spark. I would assume just to pull the coil and plug out then crank over the engine to see if there is spark? The plugs look fine and are all gapped the same, but you never know. I guess I could buy a whole new set of plugs to be sure.

Comment

well you can test them individually but using alligator clips & some wire to ground them while keep the other end in the coil pack. if the task does become too daunting then ya, you could just as easily replace them.
                    And you don't think any of your cylinders is flooded then do you?
                    1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

That is the very first thing I checked on the engine was for flooding. I am running 660 injectors and a chipped ECU. I know it runs fairly rich on idle and due to the fact that the car was only started for a few seconds at a time and then shut off I thought that it was fowled plugs from too much fuel. Pulled all the plugs and let the motor sit overnight. Still the same thing the next day when I put it together. This thing has got me confused.

Comment

so it did run properly for a significant period of time with your injectors and eprom tune before this problem
                        1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

Yes, it was running beautiful. First thing I did in the spring after the upgrade was to bring it to a dyno and do some pulls. I rented the dyno for an hour and made sure it wasn't leaning out or having any other problems. The car made 432 whp at 18 psi. I have HKS GTSS turbos on it. All was well, till bam. Now it won't run. Is it possible the CAS just went? How would I test it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                            well you can test them individually but using alligator clips & some wire to ground them while keep the other end in the coil pack. if the task does become too daunting then ya, you could just as easily replace them.
                            And you don't think any of your cylinders is flooded then do you?
                            Could it be a dead battery? lol sorry Chris I had to :-P :hit_head:
                            2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
                            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
                            2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
                            1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I managed to get the car running. It turned out that my plugs were the problem, but didn't show any problems to the eye. I was a little shocked to see that this was the problem. I have never had that happen before with plugs that they just fail completely. She now runs perfect. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X