Turbo Swap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Swap Question

Hi All, hoping for some advice to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I am in the process of changing out the stock turbos on my car for a pair of Garrett GT2560R-5 that I was lucky enough to pick up from Cortexx when he decided to go with Tomei's for his build.
    He gave me lots of good advice for pulling them out, and we're almost there.

My question is for putting them back in and getting the car running.
    I am changing them because I have a blown rear turbo, not because I am looking for a big power boost for my car.
    Other than new gaskets, rubber hoses and new hose clamps is there anything else I need to do before reassembling?
    I have some oil restrictors, are those needed even if I am using the stock feed lines?
    What about the waste gate actuators? Do I need to tweak or adjust those prior to putting the new turbos on?
    Once everything is back in and together, is there a breaking in procedure for new turbos?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The waste gate actuators are set from factory , i didnt adjust them at all so should be good.

The oil restrictors are definately needed as the turbos you now have use a twin ball bearing cartridge and require far less oil than the factory sleeve bearing turbos.

Replace all banjo washers ( the little copper rings , 2 on each banjo fitting ) , they leak if you reuse them and this job is not something you want leaks on after your done.

I'm not sure about breaking in the turbos , im pretty sure turbos new from factory really dont require a break in period , I would change the oil after about 1000 klm though just incase any junk got in during the swap.

Comment

Don't forget to have fun when you have to open up the bolt holes on the turbo oil drain fittings You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Just curious, you're not simply replacing turbos right? those -5 won't do well on stock ecu without a retune. As for not chasing power, those are 600hp + turbos unlike the tomei which are smaller.
      No build thread.
      1991 nissan
      El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

I seem to remember he has other basic mods done , exhaust etc i think.

Ive been in an gtr33 with that type of turbo , full exhaust with sport cat, retuned ecu and opened up flanges in the exhaust manifold and i wouldn't say the turbos didnt work well .

The tomei turbos are 600+ HP too depending on other mods .
        Last edited by cortexx; 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
          Don't forget to have fun when you have to open up the bolt holes on the turbo oil drain fittings You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Just curious, you're not simply replacing turbos right? those -5 won't do well on stock ecu without a retune. As for not chasing power, those are 600hp + turbos unlike the tomei which are smaller.
          Getting to the oil return line bolt on the front turbo was where I called it a night last night, going to give it another go tomorrow and hopefully that goes well.
          Along with these new turbos I have a cat back exhaust system, and am running a Power FC w. datalogit for tweaking. While I'm not an expert on the software at all, I have a wideband installed, and know how to modify my fuel map enough that I don't run the engine too lean.

Comment

Tomei= expensive and as strong as HKS SS I think.

Let me take a picture of the oil return line, right now on my engine as it sits on a stand infront of me haha. I'll show you what I had to do to fit them...

brb.

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
            I seem to remember he has other basic mods done , exhaust etc i think.

Ive been in an gtr33 with that type of turbo , full exhaust with sport cat, retuned ecu and opened up flanges in the exhaust manifold and i wouldn't say the turbos didnt work well .

The tomei turbos are 600+ HP too depending on other mods .
            Last edited by Bruizer; 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM.
            No build thread.
            1991 nissan
            El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Managed to get both turbos out without too much trouble, all lines intact & appear to be OK to reuse. While I was at it I pulled the AC compressor as it has been disconnected for a while and non-functional.

Next steps:
              Get all new gaskets & copper washers
              Replace some of the nuts & bolts which stripped while disassembling
              Sandblast & clean exhaust manifolds & dump pipes
              Replace Stud which stripped out on the Front Turbo Dump Pipe

Here's a quick photo of my empty engine bay. Soon to be filled (without the smoke hopefully).

Comment

With the oil reducers installed on the turbo inlet I'm not going to be able to use the standard oil supply lines so I'm looking at changing it to stainless steel braided line at least part of the way.
                Anyone made that swap before? I am debating whether to go right from the engine or just from the banjo bolt to the turbo (keep some of the hard piping). If I go the second route, does anyone know the thread type for the oil banjo bolt so I can start looking for fittings?

Comment

Working...
                X