X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Turbo guide

GARRETT T25
    They are from the small series of turbochargers specifically engineered for original-equipment small-capacity engines, have their roots in the ET Pulsar, and culminate in a 'twin' application on the 300ZX twin-turbo VG30DETT. In single form, they are not recommended for performance applications.

Car of Origin: Nissan S13 Silvia/180SX
    Engine: CA18DET
    Flange: Four-bolt; it fits most Nissan four-cylinder turbo engines
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 130kW
    Max. Boost: 1.0bar (14.5psi)
    Cover Size: Exhaust 0.48 AR, compressor 0.49 AR
    Comments: A small and reasonably ineffiecient turbocharger that should only really be used as a straight fit for an existing CA18DET engine to replace a failed unit. It's not recommended as a bolt-on for a normally aspirated engine of more than 1600cc.
    Cost: Normally quite expensive, $450+ due to the replacement demand in the normal service industry for these turbocharger
    Rating: One out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan PS13 Silvia/180SX
    Engine: SR20DET
    Flange: Same as above
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 160kW
    Max. Boost: 1.2bar (17.4psi)
    Cover Size: Exhaust 0.64 AR, compressor 0.60 AR
    Comments: Improved flowing version of the CA18DET turbo makes it a great straight-fit bolt-on to the CA series, but becomes borderline on even a lightly modified SR20 engine. That the S14 series of cars moved to using a bigger T28-style unit is testimony to this.
    Cost: Again, being a straight fit for all of the 2-litre turbo imports makes them an in-demand unit and pushes their cost through the roof. $550+ makes them expensive, but they are a great fit-up for a lightly tuned S13 CA18DET
    Rating: Two out of five.

GARRETT T28
    The next size up from the T25, the T28 series of turbochargers are more serious items. They are used in twin form on the Nissan Skyline GT-R and singularly on the Pulsar GTi-R, S14 and S15 series Silva/200SX. They make a decent upgrade for the S13 series of cars when more than 150kW are reliably expected to be produced.

Car of Origin: Nissan S14 200SX pre-1996
    Flange: Four-bolt, same as the T25 series.
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 170kW
    Comments: The ultimate OE bolt-up to the S13 series of cars, the best part is that it bolts straight on. A good little all-round mid-range turbocharger that has proven itself to be extremely reliable in service.
    Cost: Expensive due to their fitment to an Australian-delivered car. Their price starts at $650 for a second-hand unit.
    Rating: Three out of five

JDM Vehicles only, not relevean to the UK S14a
    Car of Origin: Nissan S14 200SX post-1996, S15
    Flange: Four-bolt, the same as the T25 series
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 170kW or slightly more
    Comments: While the housing are the same as the earlier S14 turbocharger, the latter item has sophisticated Garrett ball-bearing internals, which guarantee a faster ramp-up to boost than the previous model. This is the pick of the T28 series.
    Cost: They're hard to find second hand due to the relative scarcity of the S14 black rocker cover engines. Normally, you are best off to buy these new from a turbo supplier.
    Rating: Four out of five

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R32, R33 GT-R
    Engine: RB26DETT
    Flange: Four-bolt, the same as the T25 series
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 150kW
    Max. Boost: 1.3bar (18.8psi)
    Cover Size: Exhaust 0.48 AR, compressor 0.60 AR
    Comments: They are really only good for use on stock GT-R engines due to their relatively small exhaust housing. For some reason, they seem to be able to handle more boost before turbine failure, but there are still plenty that have let go.
    Cost: Anything with a GT-R part number is expensive!
    Rating: Two out of five

GARRETT RB20/25 SERIES
    Even though many tuners refer to the RB20 and VG30 (single) turbochargers as being a T3, this is not the case. Being a Nissan-branded item and having only Nissan identification markings on them (no AR markings etc.) can make identification difficult. All of the ball-bearing turbos have a telltale 'fatter' centre core section, as well as a bolt through the centre housing, which looks as though it has an effect on the thrust bearing pre-load. Overall, these turbos are very good performers.

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R31 GTS
    Engine: RB20DET NICS (ribbed rocker cover)
    Flange: Four bolt T3 style
    Max. Power Rating: 140kW
    Cover Size: AR not identified
    Comments: A poor-performing turbocharger that was only used on a handful of engines by Nisan before being replaced with the newer technology ball-bearing units. Top-end power is far from good, and the actual response (boost-response time) is also quite poor. It's one to steer away from.
    Cost: Dirt-cheap, as they are not in any demand. They have been seen to be as low as $100.
    Rating: One out of five

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t
    Engine: RB20DET ECCS (silver rocker cover)
    Max. Power Rating: 160kW
    Comments: A big step in the right direction from both Nissan and Garrett. A truely nice turbocharger, complete with modern aerodynamics and ball bearing construction. It's a perfect choice to get the best from an internally stock, standard injector/management set-up. On a CA18 with a custom manifold, they are really good things.
    Cost: Reasonable, with some examples floating around the importers for as little as $400. You have to be quick thoughm as they tend to sell fairly quickly.
    Rating: Four out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R33 GT25-T
    Engine: RB25DET
    Max. Power Rating: Approximately 185kW
    Comments: The big daddy of the range makes the RB25 turbocharger good for almost any mild six-cylinder application. Sparkling boost response in the low-rpm range and a reasonably hard-hitting top end make this the most common upgrade found on the RB20DET. It's highly recommended.
    Cost: Being very difficult to get hold of makes them highly variable in price. Sometimes about $700, sometimes more.
    Rating: Five out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan Gloria, 300ZX
    Engine: VG30DET
    Flange: Four-bolt T3 style
    Max. Power Rating: 190kW
    Comments: Apparently, these are slightly larger in exhaust housing size than the RB25, but have a fractionally smaller and different trim compressor. Information on these is sketchy, but due to their almost unknown application they are easier to find than the RB25 roller. A good choice, particularly if you put the RB25 compressor and cover straight on. In excess of 200kW have been produced with this combination.
    Cost: Fractionally cheaper than the RB25 turbo and not as hard to get. They have been advertised at $650.
    Rating: Four out of five

I found this on a silvia website

Comment

Thats really useful info, thanks
      Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

Nice write-up, except that RB20DET turbos are NOT ball bearing from what I know.
        (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
        SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
        HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

Not all RB20DET turbo's were ballbearing.

R32 RB20DET stock turbo is ballbearing. What backs this up, is you have to remove the oil restictors (used with a ballbearing turbo) when fitting a non ballbearing turbo.

As far as I know R31, A31 (Laurel, etc) RB20DET has a non ballbearing turbo.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Ballbearings every where

I took apart my scrap rb20det turbo to mock up new steel internals and when I got the center section apart all the little ball bearings fell out .. From my experience a 1991 rb20det has a ball bearing turbo.( I'm still finding them everytime I clean my work bench)
            勝つためには、澄んだ目と強い心を持っている必要があります

Comment

Hmm I'm Not sure if this is the right thread to post this. But I plan to do a RB25DET swap next spring. But I want to find a turbo that i can use on my rb20det untill then put onto the rb25det when i do the swap. Could anyone reccomend a good turbo that will get the most of of both motors? I already plan to do cams,pistons and metal head gaskets in the rb25, Plus upgrading the fuel system. I am planning on buying HKS Boost Controller, HKS FMIC, HKS Turbo Timer, HKS SSQBOV, and the fuel pump this summer. So with those supporting mods can anyone reccomend a turbo? Im aiming to get anywhere from 350-450 HP with the rb25det. So if anyone can shed some light on this i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 91SkylineGts-t View Post
                Hmm I'm Not sure if this is the right thread to post this. But I plan to do a RB25DET swap next spring. But I want to find a turbo that i can use on my rb20det untill then put onto the rb25det when i do the swap. Could anyone reccomend a good turbo that will get the most of of both motors? I already plan to do cams,pistons and metal head gaskets in the rb25, Plus upgrading the fuel system. I am planning on buying HKS Boost Controller, HKS FMIC, HKS Turbo Timer, HKS SSQBOV, and the fuel pump this summer. So with those supporting mods can anyone reccomend a turbo? Im aiming to get anywhere from 350-450 HP with the rb25det. So if anyone can shed some light on this i would appreciate it. Thanks!
                GT35R from Garrett Or, the Holset HX35
                White 1990 Nissan Skyline HCR32.
                "Skyline" Is a lifestyle.

Comment

The R32. 33 compressor housing AR ratio is .42 not .60.
                  10 Infiniti FX35
                  09 Infiniti G37X coupe
                  02 Subaru WRX....sold
                  01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
                  90-00-08 BNR32
                  92 NX2000...sold
                  95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

ca18s came with a t24, the flange they both use is t2 0r t25/t28

Comment

ball bearing
                      Marc-André
                      _________
                      2.2L RB20 GTS-T
                      ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Working...
                      X