Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat belts from other cars that fit skylines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if they'll allow a pre 95 to be put back on the road if you buy it back, once it's written off it may still be parts only unfortunately. The best bet would be to take it to a shop and have the vehicle looked at before going to MPI, if you can repair it yourself to their satisfaction (pass safety and body integrity) they'll refund you some of the money. What kills most cars at MPI is the fact that they quote repairs with full shop time and new OEM parts which equals a s**t load of money, but the more labour done yourself and used parts it can drop to a quarter-half the cost.

As an example, before safeties and crap, I rear ended someone with my old 84 Regal. The header panel and fenders moved back, touching the doors and jamming the hood shut and the bumper, mounts and header panel were damaged so they quoted me $3000 damage and wrote it off, I bought it back and picked up a bumper and mounts for $200, repaired the header myself, and loosened all the bolts for the quarters/rad cradle and gave them yank... fixed! 3g's my @ss! lol.

Sometimes it's better to save the insurance claim for when your back bumper is pushed right into the back seat or your motor is next to you after a crash...
    Last edited by BRN32; 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM.
    Originally posted by Snow
    Sure a condom holds water but you don't see me drinking from one.

Comment

I was led to believe that they forgo the cost analisis once your car is 1995 and older and automatically write it off. Besides, what is to stop them from pumping up the estimate and lowballing the assesed value and shutting you down anyway. In BC, if a car has been reduced to "salvage" status, like yours would there after a writeoff, we can still resurect it if there was no structural damage and repairs are done by a licenced repair facility. You cannot, period.

Are there any RHD dealers in MB, what are they doing? Skylines represent about 5% of all the various vehicles that come into the country. I would think that the MB government is going after Carrys and Delicas with as much enthusiasm as Skylines, if not, that reaks of bias.

Jon.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

yes there is a rhd dealer in the city and there has been many acts going on to deal with all the bu!!**** going down with all modded cars and not just rhds but unfortunately mpi is such a powerhouse they are doing what ever they want and getting the wps to crack down
        Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

We can still fix and register a car if it gets dubbed "salvage", it's when it gets the title of "irreparable" that it can no longer be put on the road.

I think what they are doing is just giving pre 95's the irreparable status.

Travis is right though, mpi is such a power house and they are working directly with WPS, we are actually fighting against 2 major groups rather than 1.
          Originally posted by Paradis
          ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

So much for "insurance by the people, for the people" which is what provincially run auto insurance was intended to be. As much as I bitch about ICBC I am still fully aware of just how good we have got it in BC. Someone like me (40yrs old with no accidents and 24years driving) might pay more in BC than someone in AB but I would be paying much less if I had a couple of at fault accidents in BC than in AB, most likely less than half.

I strongly suggest that if you even remotely care about RHD life and not just a fanboy that you join IVOAC and get involved on a local level. Most of you guys have the opportunity to really bug the hell out of your government because you live so close to the parlement building, most of us here in BC are at min. 4 hours away (I'm 8 hrs) from our provincial capital which makes direct contact problematic.

Emails are nice, standing in someones waiting area with a stern look on your face makes them notice more.

Jon.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

If your smart, you would get your car appraised and insured at that value, then MPIC cannot legally low ball you, also taking your car to a licensed body shop for an estimate on repair costs before going to MPIC also road blocks them.

MPIC is headed to a few court battles with this new stunt they are pulling, as they are hoping most people will bend over and take it. No serious car nut is going to sit back and let them say his mint condition 5000k Grand National is a write off because of a dented fender or bent bumper, here's your $. They have no legal grounds to do so and the federal courts will tell MPIC and the NDP to shove their BS legislation up their buts, fix the car, and pay his legal fees. I bet there is already a few lawyers getting ready to go at this pro-bono just for s**ts and giggles.

Skylines are the hardest hit here because of the fact they were never sold in NA so no dot /sae parts. S13/14'S, FD'S and Supras were and getting the cars up to code is a non issue since the dot/sae parts are readily available,
              Last edited by BRN32; 03-26-2011, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BRN32 View Post
                Skylines are the hardest hit here because of the fact they were never sold in NA so no dot /sae parts. S13/14'S, FD'S and Supras were and getting the cars up to code is a non issue since the dot/sae parts are readily available,
                That's the crux of it though, NOTHING on these cars needs to meet any standard because they are 15years old and exempt. We had an issue with the taillights being possibly to dim, but a bulb change cured that (although when it came time for me to do it I found that the bulbs that were already in there were brighter than anything I found at Crappy Tire). Tests were done and the JDM tail lights were deemed acceptable. Mostly though I think that they gave in because if some old fart brought in an old British car from the 50s and they let him go (with by far the worst lighting in the world) and were still refusing JDMs, there would be hell to pay in court. When I see trailer lights screwed to the factory R32 tails I just shake my head, congradulations, you just made the tail lights ever dimmer than before.

I would like to see what is being done to L300 and L400 Delicas, Cimas, Cedrics, Soarers, etc....none of those vehicles were sold here either. What about a 1960s Austin Martin, DOT stuff doesn't even exist for that even though they were sold here.

Jon.
                Last edited by Dragon Humper; 03-26-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Soarers were rebadged as lexus in NA, occasionally I have to take a second glance to see where the driver is sitting. Some private individual from BC bought and supplied the engineering report that is available in the US to ICBC. If I can get my lazy @ss to Mpic to speak with an inspector I want to ask if they will accept the findings here to.

I noticed on some of the new New Flyer transit buses with dual projectors with 2.5-3'' covers, I might see if I can source some and build some fibreglass housings to fit into the stock R32 housings. The housings will be body colour and moulded from the stock lenses so they wont look as bad as Accord lights. Again gotta stop being lazy,lol.

Comment

Like these?

Soarers were rebadged as lexus in NA, occasionally I have to take a second glance to see where the driver is sitting. Some private individual from BC bought and supplied the engineering report that is available in the US to ICBC. If I can get my lazy @ss to Mpic to speak with an inspector I want to ask if they will accept the findings here to.

I noticed on some of the new New Flyer transit buses with dual projectors with 2.5-3'' covers, I might see if I can source some and build some fibreglass housings to fit into the stock R32 housings. The housings will be body colour and moulded from the stock lenses so they wont look as bad as Accord lights. Again gotta stop being lazy,lol.

Comment

id still rather use accords then those

Comment

If I can get my lazy @ss to Mpic to speak with an inspector I want to ask if they will accept the findings here to.
                        They've made it clear that "that is BC, this is manitoba, we don't care", people have brought the fact to them before, and they continue to douche the place up!
                        Originally posted by Paradis
                        ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Tony, kind of worded it wrong in my post. I meant, I want to ask them if they will accept the find of the study if a copy is put into their hands to look over. MPIC won't blindly follow suit with ICBC just because people tell them to because of word of mouth "facts"and are possibly getting fed up with hear about it, hense the rude attitude (and uncalled for) response to you.

Rush, yes exactly what I was thinking of making for myself, sure they won't look factory, but no matter how well it's done, neither do the accords. Plus side is they will be bolt in, not butch in.

Comment

I know. "Butch in" is horrible looking. If those lights had a chrome housing, or even smoked chrome, they wouldn't look that bad and so obvious. I wonder how that would look...

Rush, yes exactly what I was thinking of making for myself, sure they won't look factory, but no matter how well it's done, neither do the accords. Plus side is they will be bolt in, not butch in.

Comment

When I had coffee with Travis on Sunday, we thought carbon fibre with an cold air intake duct in the left assembly would be make them pop.

Comment

ya its cuz we are ballin like that yo

Comment

Working...
                                X