370z Sport brakes on an R32 Skyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 370z Sport brakes on an R32 Skyline

Akebono Nissan 300ZX Front & Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Kit w/ Stoptech Rotors - Nissan performance parts

355mm 4 Piston Front, 350mm 2 Piston Rear.

So, the rule of thumb is, if it fits a Z32, it will bolt up to an R32 - in terms of brake kits, SO;

There have been a couple Canadian guys who have reported the 370z Sport kit for 300zx/R32 skyline was just under $3000 delivered with upgraded Hawk pads rather than oem Nissan pads. This is a complete front & rear setup with lines, adapters and all. Everything except for fluid basically.

I even spoke with Autodream in Calgary here and they said they have installed a kit and it was nice.

Here is a comparison to 350z sport Brembos:
    Brakes & Suspension - best BBK bang for buck? - i have a base 2005 G35 coupe and my brakes are shot.. im about to get my tax return and am not sure what the best deal would be.. i hate the looks and performance of my OEMs.. what would be my best increase in braking performance while not spending $6k??? i dont wanna...

The Akebono rear seems to be roughly the same physical size as the oem Bremb front caliper.

I have been giving this kit alot of thought and watching testing closely, as we all know about the 370z that hit the wall in testing with the Akebono brakes and afterwards stained the brakes good name.....untill now. Akebono seem to have been vindicated and the problem is 100% Nissan.

The 370z Sport fails it's brakes due to:
    - bad aero, no brake ducting.
    - bad oem pads, designed for low noise.
    - average fluid for the application.
    Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

For the price, how can this setup be overlooked ?

Best Motoring also did some testing and found them to be superior to all other current oem Brembo applications on Nissans/Hondas etc.

In short, upgrade the pads, run good fluid and make sure your aero doesn't stop the brakes from being air cooled and you have a solid kit for the price of most front-only setups. Not bad I think.

Anyone else ?
    Last edited by RBdreamer; 07-26-2010, 01:32 AM. Reason: added size.

find of the year right there !

sucks that i just fitted finished setting up my R33 brembo setup, cuz that looks awesome

but i bet you need at least 18" rims to run that setup ...
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
      find of the year right there !

sucks that i just fitted finished setting up my R33 brembo setup, cuz that looks awesome

but i bet you need at least 18" rims to run that setup ...
      Ya, 18's for sure.

There should be atleast 1 or 2 people around here that are already running them. Hopefully they can offer up some sort of review because these brakes do look good.

I would like to get my car prepped to run Solo1 or something like that and unfortunately, everything adds up quite quickly. These seem like a decent alternative to other kits considering the front and rear is approx the cost of most front only kits from what I have seen and should do well as a street/track part time car brake application.

Comment

Here's a test vid from Best Motoring, testing short braking.
        YouTube - Best Motoring Brake Test: 370Z vs Cayman S vs S2000 vs 135i

Comment

I think this is a great idea. I would have done this if they were available 4 years ago before I did my 6 piston brakes. I am also give it a very serious thoughts of ditching my front 6piston setup for these 370Z brakes. BTW, I think the Akebono are a little cheaper in the Infiniti form compare to Nissan (exactly the same thing but it says infiniti on the calipers) for some strange reason. These brake setup were design for bigger and heavier cars so I think they will be pretty good for R32s. Most important is they are OEM parts so it will be a lot easier to source replacement parts compare to brand name aftermarket stuff. I think anyone looking for BBK should definatly buy this or buy my 6pot so I can pick this up.. LOL
          10 Infiniti FX35
          09 Infiniti G37X coupe
          02 Subaru WRX....sold
          01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
          90-00-08 BNR32
          92 NX2000...sold
          95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

DONE!
            let the saving begin...
            Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

I can't believe that nobody is running these already.

Comment

They can't fit 17x9s, can't they?
                1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Marus92 View Post
                  They can't fit 17x9s, can't they?
                  There is a link to a Front & Rear fitting template on the product page that you can print off and measure against your wheels to make sure, but the listing says 18's are needed, so I doubt any 17's will work.

Comment

Originally posted by RBdreamer View Post
                    I can't believe that nobody is running these already.
                    I would be running them already if someone buys my 6pistons or LMGT4.. LOL
                    10 Infiniti FX35
                    09 Infiniti G37X coupe
                    02 Subaru WRX....sold
                    01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
                    90-00-08 BNR32
                    92 NX2000...sold
                    95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

^ what size? I might be interested.
                      Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by RBdreamer View Post
                        There is a link to a Front & Rear fitting template on the product page that you can print off and measure against your wheels to make sure, but the listing says 18's are needed, so I doubt any 17's will work.
                        Didn't see them saying 18" specifically, but thanks, I guess I'll just do an OEM refresher.
                        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

For sure I know 17" TE37 and CE28N will clear this brakes.

Comment

355mm rotors, really?
                            check with your own 355mm kit if it clears 17", i doubt it
                            sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

^ yup..tried it..it clears my TE and LMGT4 in 17s

18" TE can clear my 380mm 6pot monoblock.

Comment

Working...
                              X