Using a harness with GTR Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a harness with GTR Seats

Can a seatbelt harness be used with GTR seats without having any problems or safety concerns?

Thanks
    R32 Skyline GTS-T

I've seen it done quite a bit, but I don't know what safety issues there Are. I may try it with my own seats later on. Because stock gtr seats are comfy...
    GTRC-OG

Comment

as far as i know my buddy has a 67 nova with racing seats and 4 point harnesses and unlett the harnett is attatched to some sort of cage its very unsafe as the harness could pull you down in the event of a crash. this is not reliable info but the way he explained it to me at the time made sence that you need some way to affix the top of the harness at shopulder height or higher like to a cadge. anyone with definite info out there though this is just from two guys bullsh*tn in the driveway.

Comment

If you don't have a cage, it's only for a ''cool-look'' factor.
        Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

I have a Sparco harness on right now. It feels really good to me.

Some pictures I just took

I'll have to mount it different when I get the cage in. Make sure you do a search to see what the safety specs are. I think the harness should be on a 45° and 90° if you have a roll cage. Iv been told if you mount the harness wrong it can break your back or crush your chest if there is an accident. I'm not fully sure about those specs, if someone knows please correct me.

Sorry about the pictures taken from cell. Didn't know they were so large.
          Last edited by bellis_GTR; 09-21-2010, 05:52 PM.
          Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Those pics are really helpful. That is exactly what i am looking at doing. I'm gonna look into it at some of my local shops here and i'll let you all know what I find out.
            R32 Skyline GTS-T

Comment

This should help a bithttp://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/sh....php?photo=282. As stated above, make sure your harness is mounted at no less than 45 degrees behind you.
              Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

This has been discussed many times, you should be able to find threads on this if you search a little.

It goes down to:

- You need a rollcage if you want to have a harness. If the car flips, and the roof gets crushed, the harness will hold you sitting up straight and you will get crushed.

- If you have a rollcage, you will need a helmet. G forces in an accident are pretty strong, and if you hit your head on your rollcage without a helmet, your skull will crack open.

- As for harness mounting, you will need a harness bar/support point to prevent the harness from crushing your spine down. Diagram posted by A18 is pretty good.

R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

you can read about how i mounted mine here

i haven't posted the rest of the install yet, so heres a couples pics of how it went

sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
                    If you don't have a cage, it's only for a ''cool-look'' factor.
                    a harness isn't only for protection,
                    i use mine mostly for its restraining capability

you haven't done track yet, but believe me, when you go really fast around a corner and have to always hold the steering wheel super hard to keep yourself from flying out of the seat, it gets irritating after a while

ad to that my heavy weight, i get tired arms quickly enough

now with my harness on, super tight, i can't move an inch in my seat, and can concentrate 100% on just driving

just to make things clear, i don't use my harness on the streets, only on the track
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                      a harness isn't only for protection,
                      i use mine mostly for its restraining capability

you haven't done track yet, but believe me, when you go really fast around a corner and have to always hold the steering wheel super hard to keep yourself from flying out of the seat, it gets irritating after a while

ad to that my heavy weight, i get tired arms quickly enough

now with my harness on, super tight, i can't move an inch in my seat, and can concentrate 100% on just driving

just to make things clear, i don't use my harness on the streets, only on the track
                      but like some said on this thread, if it's not set properly, you can really hurt yourself. I knew everything you said, but whatever you do, I think safety first comes first. I'm no expert but your setup look legit. so you should be protected and fit tight in your seat.
                      Last edited by cobrAA; 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM.
                      Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

well mine is setup correctly as seen in DarkCaporal's pic

but still isn't perfect since i don'T have a roll bar, in the event where the car flips and the roof caves down, you would have your neck snapped because you couldn't get out of the way...

so this winter i'm ordering a Cusco roll bar (half cage)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                          well mine is setup correctly as seen in DarkCaporal's pic

but still isn't perfect since i don'T have a roll bar, in the event where the car flips and the roof caves down, you would have your neck snapped because you couldn't get out of the way...

so this winter i'm ordering a Cusco roll bar (half cage)
                          Exactly what Im doing! You mounted your harness in the same place I did. I too only use the 4 point for the track. Using it on the street can get annoying if you just going threw the city. Especially if you are making frequent stops.
                          Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

my harness is indeed so tight, friday at our track day, i had to ask Tyler to close my door because i couldn't reach it lol
                            sigpic

Comment

I thought the top of the harness had to be 10-45 degrees above your shoulder, not below like in that diagram.
                              My Garage:
                              1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo Edition - Action Hotdog Go!
                              2008 Audi RS4 - Hand Banana
                              1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT- Dirty Winter Car
                              1988 Toyota Supra Base - Trojan Judas Hairnet Battle Tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X