Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any issue crossing US border with R32 for vacation(vehicle admissability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any issue crossing US border with R32 for vacation(vehicle admissability)

Hey guys,
    Have any of you had any issues with driving to the US in your skylines or other RHD cars for that matter?
    Does Customs kick a fuss because you're on the other side and does the vehicle admissability apply to cars just visiting?
    I intend to cross at th rainbow bridge.
    Thanks in advance.
    Zac

Would love to know this as well! Planning a few trips this summer down south. As far as I know it's up to the discretion of the officer. If he believes your motives are to sell, and not for vacation, they'll give you a hard time. I know max and a few others had a rough time last summer..
    Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
    www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
    Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

My friend recently crossed the border for Battle at the Border in his 180, i dont think he had any issues.
      Jordie Lewis
      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

I have buddies that go accross no problem..my buddy went across in his 180sx and they asked him some questions but nothing crazy..like where the car was from..and stuff.but they didnt pull him in

Comment

Oh one thing, ive heard it's good to call in advance to let them know your situation, that way it clears up any possible issues!

Josh (archaeic_bloke) did this I believe. Pm him! Forgot he went to virgina last year.
          Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
          www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
          Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
          Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

lol i can shed some light on this situation. So i have crossed in my r32 about 50 times between aldergrove, peace arch, and truck crossing or pacific highway. Normally its not problem just tell them your going down for a few days or whatever. I go down alot cause alot of my family is down in the states. Anyway last time i went accross two months ago the officer at the booth aparently was a z32 guy and told my skylines werent allowed in the states at all and gave me a rvi. (random vehicle inspection) nbd i have had them before in other cars and its really just a waste of time you go inside wait they search your car and check your passport no biggie. But this time they went ape **** on me. Told me skylines and rhd cars for that matter are not allowed in the states becasue they are unsafe and they dont want them on their roads. keep in mind being hot tempered that i am i didnt exactly handle it as well as possible but when this fat excuse for a officer starting telling me my car wasnt safe for "his" roads i kind of gave him a piece of my mind. and for that matter i was detained for around 2 hours they searched my car for anything they could. (i had 500 cash in my glove box in my insurance papers cause i was renuing my insurance the next day) they kept asking me if it was drug money. anyway so they turned me around and said they wouldnt let me into the states in a skyline. So moral of the story is i dont think i will try and take my r32 to the states anymore or for a while at least. and if i ever do again i would go to the aldergrove/lynden crossing if your in bc. But it really just depends on the officer and what kinda mood they are in. just my 2 cents.
            1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

I went across to the Ogdensburg side by kingston and they just asked me if I had ever been to the states before with it. For the most part it truly is upto their discretion, because as soon as the guard feels like an idiot for thinking the car drove up with no one inside, he then proceeds to redeem himself by ruining your day...

Just be very polite I guess, oh and maybe bring a helmet and a slip for some event so he atleast thinks your going down for a purpose. Trust me, they don't believe the vacation story everytime haha

Comment

Thanks for sharing guys. I almost expected them to give you a hard time. I guess it's just not worth risking that & spoiling a trip for unless it's more than one RHD.

Comment

I would honestly call first and ask, maybe record it on your ipod then replay it at the border:P

Comment

Well on the easy coast they have issues because of so many people selling there cars in the states..

over here on the west coast they arent concerned with that kinda thing.

I go accross the border weekly, in a skyline or RHD CRX whatever.. never had an issue..

Rule of thumb always with the border, NEVER talk back to them, never argue.. you are a Foreigner Entering there country you dont have that many rights, and well the right to Cross the border is something i want to preserve so i never talk back to the US border Control..

This goes the same for coming back into Canada were they are more annoying.
                    Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
                      Well on the easy coast they have issues because of so many people selling there cars in the states..

over here on the west coast they arent concerned with that kinda thing.

I go accross the border weekly, in a skyline or RHD CRX whatever.. never had an issue..

Rule of thumb always with the border, NEVER talk back to them, never argue.. you are a Foreigner Entering there country you dont have that many rights, and well the right to Cross the border is something i want to preserve so i never talk back to the US border Control..

This goes the same for coming back into Canada were they are more annoying.
                      im not a foreigner either way when i am a dual citizen with both canadian and us passports but i guess thats another reason why they would think i am trying to illegially import my car or something
                      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

I would mabe take a copy of the :Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

These Lines own the US border guards:
                        The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration(Canada).

Any conflicting technical requirements (e.g. right-hand-drive or left-hand-drive) in the signatory country where the vehicle is being driven do not apply.
                        (Suck it USA Border, your Country signed onto this agreement in 1968)
                        Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

A few weeks after buying my Skyline I went down to California for 2 weeks, border guard looked at me across the car and said "weird, must be fun to drive." The biggest hassle I had was the laptop I was taking down and the fact I am a computer tech in Canada, that made them verify my contacts and make sure I was going for pleasure and not requiring a work visa. Returning to Canada was a 10 second chat with the border guard and a wave of the hand.

It all depends on who you get and what your purpose is.
                          sigpic
                          89 Nissan Skyline GTS-t sports limited sedan
                          4 door love.

Comment

i live in the states part time to play hockey here, drove my gtr down for 4 months had no issues. i also travel back and forth regularly
                            1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

Originally posted by zac3ne2nr View Post
                              Hey guys,
                              Have any of you had any issues with driving to the US in your skylines or other RHD cars for that matter?
                              Does Customs kick a fuss because you're on the other side and does the vehicle admissability apply to cars just visiting?
                              I intend to cross at th rainbow bridge.
                              Thanks in advance.
                              Zac
                              Never had any issues in multiple RHD cars.

TROL

Comment

Working...
                              X