Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining costs - few questions

Hey,

Just preparing the expenditures i need for my build i'm planning to have completed by may. I just have a few questions about the cost of machine work. I want to get my block, hot tanked, magnafluxed as well as bored for 87mm forged pistons. On top of that I want everything measured up so I make sure everything is within spec and so i know exactly what bearing sizes to get. I also want my head checked over, valves ground etc if need be. Basically a once-over to make sure everything is correct for assembly.

I know due to unknown variables there cant be an exact price, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer a ballpark of what I should be setting aside for all the machine work? I was hoping to get away with $1000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

full machine work for a build. on top of what you listed including: balancing out to 0 the crank pistons and rods, decking the block and the head, and all the adjustments on the head at a decent shop you will be right around 1000 bucks worst case senario. since your in burnaby i am too i am going to alecs machine shop google it and give them a call. i talked to them last week great guys and they know their stuff. he said 1000-1500 worst case/
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Awesome. Everything seems ok so far, but we'll see. Thanks for the help, I will definitely give them my business.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

what color is your gtr dude? whats your name im jon i havent seen you around burnaby.

Comment

For all the things you said, excluding disassembly/assembly (just manchining) I was at $2000 (shimming included) via Ztune in BC.
          Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
          Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
          Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
          Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
          Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
          White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
          lol

Comment

well pretty sure andrew who built your motor goes through alecs machine shop so maybe you paid a little middle man fee lol

Comment

Sorry for the lack of introduction. I'm Shane. My car is repainted in Aston Martin Quantum silver for the db9/dbs, still gunmetal I suppose. I haven't been at the meets or in the scene for a while since my car went off the road when it was stock. My plan is to have this thing going for the summer, so hopefully i'll be out for the nice weather (fingers crossed)

Comment

Originally posted by gtrjon View Post
                well pretty sure andrew who built your motor goes through alecs machine shop so maybe you paid a little middle man fee lol
                My machine costs were paid to Ztune, not Andrew. I about $1800 for for total labour (just Andrew and Ztune's tune). I am missing a few parts but he won't answer no more emails/texts lol. Maybe I got annoying. Who wouldn't be with a $xxxxx engine gone for 13months lol
                Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-07-2011, 02:16 AM.
                Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
                  For all the things you said, excluding disassembly/assembly (just manchining) I was at $2000 (shimming included) via Ztune in BC.
                  You know what, coming from you frank, I was expecting double the price if not more haha. You ALWAYS seems to pay more than anyone on this forum.
                  Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
                    You know what, coming from you frank, I was expecting double the price if not more haha. You ALWAYS seems to pay more than anyone on this forum.
                    It's not because I'm getting ripped off, I just try to cover all my bases and pressure for perfection, sometimes it costs more. I always get good prices. I never said what I had done though
                    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
                      It's not because I'm getting ripped off, I just try to cover all my bases and pressure for perfection, sometimes it costs more. I always get good prices. I never said what I had done though
                      The OP was refering to a specific job, if you actually did more than what he wants done, you shouldn't quote your price because it's not the right quotation.

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Jons right in the ball park. 1K is actually a pretty good price. I think I pay a little more in the end with a fully rebuilt head and with a balances rotation assy. The shop that does my heads in lethy isnt a cyl head shop, so i over pay a little. But never had any issues, so nothing to complain about.

Alecs sounds like the best bet. Next time I got to do a build out here, thats the place Id be checking out first.

Good luck with it all, nice to see it out for summer!

You'll have to post a pic of the car with the new skin~!
                        ALLEN PETERSEN
                        Number (604) 961-2449
                        4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
                        RB30`s for sale!

Comment

On the other hand, I thought machine works was more expensive than this.

However, I heard porting a head is 2000$ and I yet to find dynosheet to shows the difference so I can compare bang for the buck if it's worth it.

Comment

A full going through of the bottom end alone will be about $1400 with taxes and shop supply BS.

That would be;

- line hone mains
                            - bore & hone cyl.
                            - clean and magnafux
                            - deck block (a must for zero piston height and gasket seal)
                            - fully balance and assemble crank, rods, pistons (everything including setting brg clearances and ring filing, this is the most time intensive part and has the most direct affect on engine survival, constitutes the bulk of the labour, ballance alone is $200)

The head would be in the $500 range if you don't need to replace anything and just do a cleanup to the valve faces and seats. And I mean nothing else, just a glass beading, dissasembly, touchup and re-assembly with some new springs and seals (extra $ ofcourse, call it a full G if you don't need new guides).

Most of the cost in an engine build is in time, the more money you spend in labour (in a reputable place) the better the chance your engine will live a long and healthy life. Parts are always less (unless you are into bling and just have to have the best of the best). I have had engines with only $300 in parts live a very long life at double the stock output with very carefull assembly and tuning (took me about 40 hours to go from a table strewn with prepped parts to a fully ass. engine, lasted 6 years).

Jon.
                            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 03-07-2011, 03:31 AM.
                            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

here are some prices I found on some old receipts from past builds. Lots of them were individual receipts from jobs so if you do it all at once im sure it would be cheaper. All were from the same ol shop ive always used in lethbridge, Ab.

Bottom end Rb machining isnt really expensive.
                              120 for oversize bore
                              250 for rotation assy balancing
                              80 deck block
                              40 polish crank shaft
                              80 for degrease and inspect
                              30 mag test
                              120 for valve lash
                              400 for head build including valve grind, new seals, inspect and clean, thread chase, mag, total R&R
                              48 for head deck
                              40 for collar install
                              40 for collar grub install

you will pay approx an extra 250 if you want a bottom end fully assembled, or you can buy a ring file and spend an evening and do that all yourself.

I think I had a crank grind and paid a whopping $400 like 4 yrs ago. I think thats a bit steep tho :P

Anyways. Something to compare costs to.
                              ALLEN PETERSEN
                              Number (604) 961-2449
                              4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
                              RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X