Driving with engine exposed..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving with engine exposed..?

Still new to the forum, so i hope this is in the right section. Anyways, been tinkering on my 'Line all winter and about to roll her out for the first time this season but i have a bit of an issue. I installed a TIAL BoV and the hood doesn't clear it. I put the OEM hood on to test it out and not only did i put a dent in the hood but i screwed up the hood release handle cause it had too much force pushing up on it. (Augh)

My question is is it against any laws that anyone knows of in Alberta to drive with the engine bay exposed. I ordered a CF hood with vents that should hopefully clear it but still i don't want to waste all this beautiful weather driving my shitbox winter beater for another couple weeks or so till it arrives.

Also any recommendations on how to get around this clearance issue would be appreciated too

*just a side-note too, i DID do a search on the forum for anything involving this and couldn't find anything. And i'm still looking through stupid amounts of PDF's on Alberta traffic laws.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-25-2011, 04:47 PM.
    You gotta pay to play.

it might. but you will get horrible fuel mileage
    Jordie Lewis
    1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

I didn't buy a Skyline for fuel efficiency , but regardless, it draws enough attention and if i'm gonna get pulled over every 8 blocks cause it has no hood on then screw it ya know?
      You gotta pay to play.

Comment

If it almost clears the hood, maybe just add some hood spacers and see if that works.
        Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

Hot rods like Deuces drive around with an exposed engine bay, so I doubt you'd have an issue. People would probably think you look pretty stoopid/ricer if you do it, though.
          '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
          at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Haha, yeah probably. I'm just anxious to drive her is all. I'll try adding some washers to see if i can rise the hood up enough to clear it first, can't believe i never thought of that lol.

Kinda don't care if people think i'm ricer though, there's a reason it's off.
            Last edited by Ghost; 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM.
            You gotta pay to play.

Comment

hector does it on his civic, and hes got valet parking holmes

yeah Im sure itll be fine. I see a lot of the old american muscle around here without hoods.
              Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

here in mb if you have no hood its a ticket not sure about alberta thou
                Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Have gotten a no hood ticket before in Red Deer, it is illegal to drive without one in Alberta for sure and the carbon hood has even less clearance than OEM btw. Also had a similar issue, you'll be chopping the hood for sure lol, seibon 100% maybe not d-max
                  Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                  hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

same question but for BC Id like to know if its illegal here to drive without a hood.. .My hood flipped up and is all warped (lucky I didnt break my windshield) I thot the hood was latched but apparently not. Anyway I just installed polished valve covers + coil cover , I have a polished twin turbo pipe and HKS hard pipe kit that is also all polished, there is alot of shiny things under my hood lol and when the weather gets a little better here I was planning on pulling my warped hood off and driving without the hood and showing off all my polished aluminum work untill I got a carbon hood.
                    1992 Dark Blue Pearl Skyline GTR - 457 rwhp, 404 tq @ 19 psi , chevron 94.
                    1991 Gunmetal GTS4 - SOLD

Originally posted by dah_hunter
                    i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Comment

Not sure about over there...But arnt you worried some kids are gonna mess around with **** in the bay? Or even break/steal something? I drove once with out the hood in Ontario and a cop went by me. He looked at me weird and slowed down a lot but didnt turn around. I guess if the cop wanted to be a c*nt he would have.
                      Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Originally posted by bellis_GTR View Post
                        Not sure about over there...But arnt you worried some kids are gonna mess around with **** in the bay? Or even break/steal something? I drove once with out the hood in Ontario and a cop went by me. He looked at me weird and slowed down a lot but didnt turn around. I guess if the cop wanted to be a c*nt he would have.
                        Agreed... Like having a safe for all my Benjamins that I take the door off cause I want people to see how sick the stacks look... Bad idea lol
                        Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                        hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

All good i got just enough clearance with adding a few washers to the bolts. Thanks for the input and the tip, sounds like im gonna have to rise the CF too... doesn't look to bad though

im sure though if i had a good reason, if i did get wheeled for having it off though, it would have been understandable... ?
                          Last edited by Ghost; 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM.
                          You gotta pay to play.

Comment

Originally posted by hozer View Post
                            Have gotten a no hood ticket before in Red Deer, it is illegal to drive without one in Alberta for sure and the carbon hood has even less clearance than OEM btw. Also had a similar issue, you'll be chopping the hood for sure lol, seibon 100% maybe not d-max
                            Mind you Red Deer is a little stiff with tuner cars, being theres VEX and Lightspeed there... i'm assuming that could have been a factor.
                            You gotta pay to play.

Comment

if it's a fitment issue. block the stock bov piping and weld it to a peice of I/C piping that way you can lay it flat side ways and clear your hood.

My ssqv had clearence issues when it was facing directly to the passenger side, so i just turned it towards the front a bit so that the highest point of the bov was moved and cleared the hood.
                              Originally posted by Paradis
                              ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Working...
                              X