5 RHD refused entry at NY border for car show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starboy869 View Post
    A US Boarder Agent officer can refuse entry for no reason. RHD, LHD, or whatever... If he/she say no then turn around you go. Get lippy and see what happens.....

Sad but true. A few of my friends almost got rejected at the Buffalo/Niagara Falls border because my car was "street racing material" and it was LHD! That and we had really no valid explanation why we were crosing the border at 11pm.

If my civic almost never saw American soil I can't wait to take the Skyline over there :/

Comment

Now it looks like we need to take our own cars across in pieces and rebuild it just to go to a car show or go on holiday! Rubber Ducking Homeland Security!
      Last edited by Bravo; 05-21-2011, 12:11 PM.
      aww crap, did you see that!

Comment

I've crossed more than 100 times in RHD's. (no exaggeration!)

Basically what the customs officers said was wrong. This doesn't matter, because they can refuse anyone for any reason, but what he said was factually incorrect. Some treaty from the 30's says that anyone in north america can drive their vehicle anywhere else in north america as long as it's compliant to laws local to where they registered it and that it has valid registration. Some quick googling would find this.

It ultimately does not matter though because you have no rights at customs. Which should in itself be illegal, (and IMO is), but the reality of it remains. They can turn you around because they don't like what colour your shirt is.
        1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
        2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
        2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

I'm going to PA at the end of July. I'll let you guys know how that goes lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrh View Post
            They can turn you around OR DETAIN YOUbecause they don't like what colour your shirt is.
            Fixed. The border is a scary, scary place to be. You say one wrong thing, you get detained, charged, and sent to prison. It's ridiculous what can happen there, and I totally agree that it should not be legal for the border to just decide on how they're feeling that day

Good luck Jezu! Hopefully all goes well for you
            Originally posted by kengeroo
            that's what I thought when I opened the package..
            ...don't drink and ebay
            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Terrh View Post
              I've crossed more than 100 times in RHD's. (no exaggeration!)

Basically what the customs officers said was wrong. This doesn't matter, because they can refuse anyone for any reason, but what he said was factually incorrect. Some treaty from the 30's says that anyone in north america can drive their vehicle anywhere else in north america as long as it's compliant to laws local to where they registered it and that it has valid registration. Some quick googling would find this.

It ultimately does not matter though because you have no rights at customs. Which should in itself be illegal, (and IMO is), but the reality of it remains. They can turn you around because they don't like what colour your shirt is.
              I can't find the treaty you're talking about, I think if you could find it, it would support the GTRC community as a whole

Comment

Posted on Skylineownersusa.com by site owner and administrator Vandrel:

A official government ICE complaint (not immigrations customs enforcement) detailing information about that specific CBP checkpoint would probably get the site manager of that checkpoint fired or administratively punished.

What he said and his decision were 100% incorrect. The loss on hotel fees could be returned if the Canadian government received word of this misinformation incident that occurred and effected Canadian citizens. Much like if a cop were to cite a Canadian for breaking the law when infact the Canadian did not and the Canadian were to be at a financial loss due to the cop's error. This of course is a larger problem as it involves a official government agency and not local law enforcement which is why I would highly suggest they file a complaint with their government officials to the U.S. Embassy in Canada.

Yet another example of government employees within CBP that enforce rules without knowing the rules and their authority to do so.
                I agree with him. You should get their names and try to get that money back and start filing complaints, each one of you.

Comment

Politely ask for a supervisor, and ask to see where it's written that a Canadian Citizen cannot drive thier PERSONAL vehicle into the US, for PERSONAL use, because of WHAT it is. Legally they cannot detain you for something they ASSUME you MIGHT do. It is a pity though that they seem to get away with this garbage..
                  I've crossed MULTIPLE times into the US at Sarnia/Port Huron without any trouble at all. Mostly in my Pajero, but a few times in the Skyline as well. I went to Woodward dream cruise last year, and the CBP officer actually said I should get lots of attention down there, because "these cars are illegal for US citizens to import or own, so they are a rarity here".
                  He still let me in no problem. He even knew about their 25year import law...lol.
                  Some who actually knew the rules was impressive......and thats sad.

Rick
                  '89 GTST - SOLD
                  '92 GTR
                  '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                  '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Doesn't matter.

Me and a friend of mine had the same issue last year, we were denied access into the states for no reason at all... maybe because we were driving a 4 door skyline, but they would not tell us... it was either turn around after giving us all your info, fingerprints and eye scans... or will detain you for the night.

Doesn't matter what you do, at the border no means no.

i would also filing a complaint right away as now that i have been turned around, i have issues crossing the border everytime i try...

good luck man, shitty that that happened to you as well,

regards
                    1990 Nissan Skyline Gts-t Rb25det

Comment

Legaly they can detain you for whatever they want..

at the Border you have 0 Rights.. you are entering a foreign country, and your waiving all your Rights (Aside from Human rights, but sometimes those Hello strip search) by going there..

If they dont like the way you smile they can send you packing.. as a Canadian you don't have a RIGHT to enter the US, its a privilege..

That being said i never have issue but i live in BC. go figure.
                      Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by recoil View Post
                        Posted on Skylineownersusa.com by site owner and administrator Vandrel:

A official government ICE complaint (not immigrations customs enforcement) detailing information about that specific CBP checkpoint would probably get the site manager of that checkpoint fired or administratively punished.

What he said and his decision were 100% incorrect. The loss on hotel fees could be returned if the Canadian government received word of this misinformation incident that occurred and effected Canadian citizens. Much like if a cop were to cite a Canadian for breaking the law when infact the Canadian did not and the Canadian were to be at a financial loss due to the cop's error. This of course is a larger problem as it involves a official government agency and not local law enforcement which is why I would highly suggest they file a complaint with their government officials to the U.S. Embassy in Canada.

Yet another example of government employees within CBP that enforce rules without knowing the rules and their authority to do so.
                        I agree with him. You should get their names and try to get that money back and start filing complaints, each one of you.

Making a official complaint

Telephone/Verbal Complaints
                        All complaints concerning Customs processing that are received at a port, either verbally or via the telephone, are recorded in a Complaint Information Data sheet. Port Directors, supervisors, or passenger service representatives are responsible for contacting the complainant within one business day to acknowledge receipt and to try and resolve the complaint during the initial conversation with the complainant.

Complaints concerning allegations of misconduct/discrimination
                        The U.S. Customs and Border Protection takes allegations of employee misconduct and discrimination very seriously.

Allegations of misconduct or discrimination are referred to the CBP Office of Internal Affairs personnel are specially trained to investigate and review allegations.
                        If warranted, CBP will take appropriate action against the employee.

CBP INFO Center
                        OPA – Rosslyn
                        U.S. Customs and Border Protection
                        1300 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
                        Washington, DC 20229

How to file a complaint? Please see the complaints section of the customer service section. http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/cust...wers.search_nl

Make no mistake, this incident is a discrimination matter and should be dealt with accordingly. If these government employees continue to get away with this type of misconduct then it will only get worse from here on out. Fact is that someone at these facilities has a personal agenda and they are misusing their authority to push their agenda by means of misquoting and misrepresenting the laws.

This matter is much larger then just refusing to allow 5 vehicles entry into the country. CBP recently updated their online content to cover non-conforming vehicles entering the U.S. and being sold in the U.S. which previously was not completely covered. They are attempting to cover their P's and Q's presently while they are facing serious litigation from the U.S. Skyline Community.
                        Last edited by Vandrel; 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM.
                        95 Skyline R33
                        93 RX-7 Type RII SE 沖縄300 Y99-31

Comment

Thanks Vandrel for posting the complaint info in the post above... Hope these guys take advantage of your help...

The U.S. Skyline owners could use your help, they are having a lot of trouble down there right now with these cars.

Comment

Oh, Vandrel is quite aware of what is going on, he runs the SOUSA website, and already had his car seized and is leading the litigation I believe. They have a tough battle ahead of them I think, best of luck guys!

Originally posted by recoil View Post
                            Thanks Vandrel for posting the complaint info in the post above... Hope these guys take advantage of your help...

The U.S. Skyline owners could use your help, they are having a lot of trouble down there right now with these cars.
                            Last edited by ColinR33; 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X