Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma.. Dilemma ; transmission rebuild question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma.. Dilemma ; transmission rebuild question.

I will try to make it as short as possible.

My car broke this monday. I can't change my gear, My car is stuck in Neutral. People who drove/heard my car said it was the release bearing. However, most mechanic I spoke tells me it doesnt make sens because if it was the release bearing it would only make a sound when the clutch is pressed and the sound was there when the clutch was depressed ( at idle).

Tranny 1 ( the one in my car) : Was rebuilt 6000km ago, they only found the reverse spring, input shaft bearing and 2-3 synchro defective. box was working great and never had a grinding. However, now something is broked. it could be a stupid 60$ part like the fork but we don't know till we open it up.

Tranny 2: Was told the 4th was grinding but common problem on GTR. Took the tranny to the shop, the guy call me today " Hey man, we can't find half of the part needed! We know it's the same as 300ZX TT but most of our distributor have nothing or their kit is incomplete''.

Actually, the 4th gear assembly with the input shaft connected need replacement, a couple of bearings, and 3-4 synchro is pretty dead. That's what he found out in one hour, he said he might find more parts when we tear it down further more..

Bearing kit and synchro from king-o-matic suppose to be around 350$
    However I already have the nissan synchro kit 1-5 ( guess I will just sell it back on the forum)
    4th gear assembly ( the 3th gear is 200$ on rhdjapan, this one cost more than the 3th so no clue on the actual price)

Sub total: at least 600+ tax + a solid 600$ in labour.

Question ? your thought?

Should I told them to open up my tranny 1 and use the gear/synchro and put it in tranny 2 and call it a day? Cuz now the problem is not only the price of the rebuilt kit but the time/waiting time to get theses parts from various sources ( I wanna drive the damn car!!)

would you do this? what would you do ? is the shop over exagerating the part needed?
    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

go there and get them to show you the parts that need replacing, you should be able to tell if they are being picky or truthful. As for the transmissions, why have one good one and one broken one? might as well have one working one and call it a day. It will save you money and be quicker.
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Yes, why do you need that shaft? Go there and have a look, im shure ^Caliber right about them being TOO PICKY, and what they mean they cant find half of the needed parts?

Im thinking to do a rebuild myself! The way i would do it is to buy KINGOMATIC kit which i thought had everything in there and use it!

Hey, Caliber, you used KINGOMATIC kit for Z32 in your tranny rebuild, did you order any extra pieces for a rebuild!? Any problems with using:

Synchros
      Bearings
      Seals
      ??
      TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

I have a clean used R33 GTR tranny if you want to start fresh. Bought it off your buddy Luc (paid $1350 shipped). I'll be nice and give you a break on the price.
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
          I have a clean used R33 GTR tranny if you want to start fresh. Bought it off your buddy Luc (paid $1350 shipped). I'll be nice and give you a break on the price.
          Oh you mean the same buddy who sold me that tranny who only had a ''small'' gind on the 4th at 7k rpm but once oppened, there's over 1000$ in parts + labour to fix ??

Guess I will pass if you understand

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
            go there and get them to show you the parts that need replacing, you should be able to tell if they are being picky or truthful. As for the transmissions, why have one good one and one broken one? might as well have one working one and call it a day. It will save you money and be quicker.
            Well, I was wondering if it was really a good idea to get used part of 2 trannys in order to make one good or just go for the rebuilt kit.

Comment

Unless your running high hp or the transmission wasn't built properly you shouldnt have problems with the gears. I don't see a problem with using donor parts.
              And yes the kingomatic kit for the z32tt has every synchro and bearing needed including the seals except for one seal I believe.
              “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

^ THX Caliber for clearing this up for me!! Ill start rebuild thread in the near couple of weeks and ill ask you to participate in it!!!)
                TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

Working...
                X