No announcement yet.

Question from a southern US guy for you Canadian guys regarding winter driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from a southern US guy for you Canadian guys regarding winter driving

I've lined up a GTR in northeast Quebec (near Rimouski) and was wondering about something. Note that this is NOT a thread about "How do I import?". I brought an R32 down from Montreal in November and am completely familiar with the process.

Rather...

The seller is anxious to get the deal done and is strongly suggesting that I come up the first week of March. I've toyed with the idea of putting some winter tires on my truck, driving up there, renting a trailer and hauling the GTR back. But that's an expensive undertaking, so I'm considering other options.

Assuming I fly up there, buy the car, get some winter tires put on the GTR, and then drive it back... how feasible would that be? I mean, you guys all live up there and I assume that the entire country doesn't shut down for the 8 months of winter.

From a cost standpoint, that 2nd option would be much cheaper, even with the new set of tires for ~$600.

So, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 = "Heck no you crazy Yank" and 10 = "Meh... Super easy. I have no idea what you're worried about.", how realistic would that be.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MrAceman; 02-22-2015, 01:26 AM.

10, as long as the car is in good running condition and not overly lowered. You see a few people winter driving their skylines up here but most of those ones are in pretty rough shape.
    Last edited by sb119; 02-22-2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

I don't see an issue at all. . .
      Last edited by nismo240r; 02-22-2015, 03:42 AM.

Comment

10: but wash car everywhere, over,under inside and out lol get the salt and grime off before it gets a chance to eat metal.
        Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Easy.
          Actually driving a GTR in winter, with winter tires, you'll be better off than most people on the roads. Only thing id be worried about is breaking down in really cold weather over something goofy. Just make sure it's mechanically sound and you're golden...
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Oh ya...and wash the **** out of it when you get far enough south and away from our liquid salt car ruining garbage!
            '89 GTST - SOLD
            '92 GTR
            '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
            '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

You'll have no traction woes with the ATESSA and winter tires. It'll be awesome actually. But definitely bring a roadside kit and some basic tools with you in case something happens during your trip back down to ATL.

Comment

Just bought a 91 gtst and I live I'm northern alberta and I drove it 4 hours on summer tires lol just take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10. my 92 civic has no problems anywhere

Comment

Working...
                  X