Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMS Front upper control arms , r32 gtr. HELP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMS Front upper control arms , r32 gtr. HELP.

Hello, I have a set of AMS front upper control arms. bought second hand... about 2 years old.
    These things are super high quality, but i might have messed them up

Used them for about 5k miles. my car sits very low, and the streets are pretty bad.
    both sides started making a "creaking" noise during suspension decompression. so i removed them and discovered the adjustment locks were loose. ok No Problem, I tightened them up and reinstalled. they were perfect for about 10 min of driving... now im getting a "clicking" sound during compression. wtf...

So i removed them again, they were loose ... again, I changed the allen bolts because they started to warp, I reinstalled.. good for another 10 min of driving, the "clicking" during compression came back... getting frustrated now.

removed them again..they were still tight! noticed the "locking ring" was maxed out. So i enlarged the lock ring with a grinder so it will go tighter. reinstalled... sound is still there.
    I started prying on everything, the whole front end is 100% solid.

Does anyone have experience with these upper control arms? any problems like this?

BC coilovers,
    Brand new ball joints (all)roll center adjusters
    Brand new swaybar links.
    Brand new inner and outer tierods. roll center adjusted
    Drift Works tension rods.
    Last edited by ChrisCheezer; 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM.

wouldn't the sound comes from another suspension parts?
    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

^excuse me?

Comment

it happened to Archaeic Bloke,
        its just that you might have tightened the long bolts too much and the bearings are binding

i did the same he did,
        you can read about it here
        Last edited by frankiman; 04-10-2011, 02:58 AM.
        sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

... i tightened with full force, thinking the tighter the better. hope i didn't damage the bearing.

I'm going to loosen them up see what transpires, and report back for the records.

Thank you

Comment

i just bought a set hoppefully they will last 2 year after that ill buy new one again lol

865 whp RB32 , R32 GTR , THE LUCKY GTR *SUMMER DRAG BEAST*
            2013 Rams Laramie LongHorn 3500 Crew cab *Daily Driver*

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer View Post
              ... i tightened with full force, thinking the tighter the better. hope i didn't damage the bearing.

I'm going to loosen them up see what transpires, and report back for the records.

Thank you
              it should fix the issue
              no prob
              Last edited by frankiman; 04-10-2011, 02:58 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much,

This fixed my issue, The bearings were binding like he said.
                Directly after the correction it sounded one time. after that it went away!

Comment

I gotta this annoying clickin noise with the AMS as well. Thanks for the solution!!
                  10 Infiniti FX35
                  09 Infiniti G37X coupe
                  02 Subaru WRX....sold
                  01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
                  90-00-08 BNR32
                  92 NX2000...sold
                  95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

+ 1!!! you can't tighten those too much, cause of the solid bearing design, you can use red thread lock or extra nuts to make sure the nuts sit securely. Glad this helped you out!
                    The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

This thread is actually quite informative, I would of torqued mine to spec since I didn't know any better. Thanks in advance!
                      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Just to let you know, I have the driftworks FUCAS and they DO NOT CREAK OR BIND when torqued to factory spec. I have single nut on each bolts with 83ft/lb on em. They move smooth and quiet.

Probably a difference in build quality.

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
                          Just to let you know, I have the driftworks FUCAS and they DO NOT CREAK OR BIND when torqued to factory spec. I have single nut on each bolts with 83ft/lb on em. They move smooth and quiet.

Probably a difference in build quality.
                          ^^ that must be the reason
                          its 65 to 80 ft-lbs
                          sigpic

Comment

I picked up a set of the ams fuca's used and when i got em in the mail one was reversed. When i put them over top of the stock fuca one matched perfectly while the other was parallel just like they show them on AMS website. What would be correct way to install these? If they go in different from the stock **** it appears to me that the caster would change drastickly. Any suggestions would be good as i will compelete the install this weekend. At first look the ams fuca seem of good quality. Anyone know where the bad rap came from about AMS quality?

Thanks

Mitch g
                            1994 BMW 5 series
                            93 GMC 6.5 Turbo diesel
                            1991 GTR 2.9 Stroker

Comment

I've had the AMS front and rear upper control arms on my car for a couple years now and no issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X