loud Tap noise when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loud Tap noise when braking

so my car has been making a weird noise and im not sure if its something serious or not..
    when i brake (with the car running) regardless of if i brake slow or fast there is a loud single tap sound coming from the master cylinder area under the hood.
    I cant duplicate it with the car sitting and idling, it has to be rolling.
    the loudness of the tap doesnt seem to change if i brake fast or slow. its a new pathfinder master cylinder.
    It brakes good and hard so im thinking the master is fine.. any ideas?
    - Adam

:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Does the car stay straight when u hit the brakes? Or veer left or right?
    01 Chevrolet Maliboom-boom (winter BEATER)
    93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
    95 R33 GTS-T
    04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

Comment

not that ive noticed. it has a fresh alignment. new calipers,pads,rotors and like i said new BMC i didnt do the brake pedal adjustment thats in the FSM after installing BMC...
      - Adam

:
      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Check your tension rods for play or looseness
        Favorites
        lucky_cefiro
        you\'re not listening
        entelijint
        stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
        mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
        Originally posted by specialedition
        He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

would the alignment shop have touched those?? ill check them out
          - Adam

:

Comment

They are an adjustment but if they need to adjust them I couldn't tell you.
            It's used to adjust caster.
            Favorites
            lucky_cefiro
            you\'re not listening
            entelijint

Comment

I would check all your suspension components including wheel torque and such just to be safe. I have seen loose wheels and suspension too many times. After than focus on the mc. Could be possible the pedal assembly or vacuum booster is making a noise. The bmc itself shouldn't make a noise other than touching something from flexing but that's like 1/1mil
              “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

loud Tap noise when braking

It is not uncommon for brake pads to make this kind of noise, when your brakes were done did the anti rattle clip get left out?
                Basically what happens is as you apply brakes, the pads will move with the rotor and slam into the caliper causing a very similar sound to what you have described.
                I'd be checking your calipers and pads first. Make sure all the springs and rattle clips are still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM.
                1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                -Bruce Lee

Comment

ok so ive checked all the suspension and it all seems solid and looks new actually. and everytihng is tight too. that brake pad thing makes sense.. when my other car is off the axel stands ill have a look.
                  i did get out and adjust the pedal because there was a lot of play. definitely effected the sound of the tap making it almost a double tap but its still there. i made a video too and after looking at it doesnt sound like its coming from the brake master. while playing around with the camera i noticed if i shoved the front fender trying to push the car to the side lets say (neighbors probably thought i was humping my car) i was able to make a similar tap happen over and over. any ideas?

Last edited by amnash; 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM.
                  - Adam

:

Comment

every tap is exactly when i basically press the brake pedal.
                    - Adam

:

Comment

something interesting to add i just noticed. when in reverse it sounds like its coming from the left. and when im going forward it sounds like its coming from the right side of car... also there's a first clunk/tap when i press the brake and then another when i release the brake (even if im not in motion). ill put it in reverse roll a little bit press brake(clunk!) wait a moment for car to come to a full stop then release brake pedal(clunk!)... wtf
                      - Adam

:

Comment

Maybe slack in the drivetrain?
                        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

well with the parking brake on the driveshaft has some play. so that would be the diff? does seem a bit loose in the back was gonna maybe drop it down this winter and give everything a once over. but the sound seems to be coming from the front
                          - Adam

:

Comment

You need someone to work with you and search for the sound while you reproduce it.
                            Sometimes you can put your hand on items and feel the noise which will help to isolate it.
                            Favorites
                            lucky_cefiro
                            you\'re not listening
                            entelijint

Comment

soo i think its a combination of the pads definitely hitting the calipers like Voodo said im not sure how to go about fixing this.. theyre actually new calipers that had all new clips etc. its like the pad is a couple mm to small. you can see where the pad has been hitting the caliper in the pics

and like Marc said the drivetrain seems super sloppy.. they're is no way this is within spec. also notice, with the e-brake on i can still move the wheel a tiny bit and then the brake locks it( and its the rotor moving in the pads. pads aren't moving)

Last edited by amnash; 04-15-2013, 01:31 AM.
                              - Adam

:

Comment

Working...
                              X