Gas Tank Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Leak

92 GTS-4, car is very clean underneath, barely 100K on it. But every time I fill it completely, or take a really hard left, I loose gas, right about where the filler neck meets the tank. I haven't yet dropped the tank to see what the problem is, I was wondering if this is a common problem and what it is before I get into it. The car rarely smells of gas, even when sitting in a garage. I was thinking maybe the gasket that seals the filler neck to the tank is deteriorated? I can't imagine the tank is rusting out since the car is so clean. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by LordFly; 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM.
    92 GTS-4

Heard about that before with the filler neck. The stock GTS-T steel fuel tank does rust internally. Can fit a plastic??? GTR fuel tank that's larger capacity and a GTR fuel pump to suit.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

There is a rubber coupler that attaches the neck to the tank, that is probably cracked or the clamp isn't tight enough. Take the right wheel off, take off the cover in the fender well covering the neck and inspect.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

I had that in my r32 gts, it was the o ring between the filler neck and tank. I put Some quick seal one o ring too, hasnt leaked since. I didnt drop the tank either, Hope that helps.
        "Syntax with a steering wheel."
        Volkswagen R32 Daily
        Nissan R32 Skyline Summer Car

Comment

On the top of the tank there's a transfer tube that runs across the tank. Mine split and caused that when filling up, launches and right turns. Might not be the same for yours. Easy fix, these tanks are very simple to drop.
          '89 GTR

Comment

Great stuff, that's what I was hoping for guys! Hopefully I can take a look at it tonight. Thanks for the info!
            92 GTS-4

Comment

So I found the problem. I think it was very similar to what Owen18 was saying. The rubber breather tube in the very top of the tank had a small tear in it. Easy fix

92 GTS-4

Comment

Glad it worked out for ya. Believe me I know what it was like losing half my tank at the fuel station. You don't get friendly looks when that happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X