Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skym
    replied
    I think the main problem is providing enough voltage to the coils, spark plugs.

HKS made this device / module (I think I remember seeing this device on their 7.6 sec dragcar engine) -

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/prod...=840_more.html

Basically it increases voltage to the coilpacks without drawing alot of current? from the rest of the car (like aircon, lights, fuel pump, etc), essentially doing exactly what the LS, R8 conversion does with providing more voltage to the sparkplugs without the downside of drawing more current? from the rest of the car.

The factory setup is designed to not draw alot of current? due to lights, aircon, etc that also draws current? (voltage drops to fuel pump, etc), so less stress on alternator and more voltage to fuel pump, etc.

A way to test this is to turn on aircon, lights, etc and monitor the voltage level and note the drop in voltage.

I believe you really need to upgrade the alternator at the same time if intend on running aircon, lights, etc with an upgraded ignition system. There is a 120A alternator upgrade which is factory on some Nissan engines in the USA.

Another trick is to use 2x ignition modules which is rarely seen outside Japan, but have seen it on a R32 RB26 powered racecar outside Japan.

Leave a comment:

• Chomper
    replied
    I have a fairly new set installed and the coil pack harness was redone recently so I'm not worried about the age of the ignition system atm. Just want something that will hold up better under stress.

The r34 coils were one of the options I looked at but the cost is upwards of $400 CAD new iirc, whereas ls2 and r8 coils are about half the cost and give great results.

Leave a comment:

• cobrAA
    replied
    R34 coil also made 800 whp on a rb30 with no drama and still running strong. Problem is.. 20 yr old used coil.. brand new oem coil perform very well and plug-in setup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X