Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You heard it from the source. GLENN TAYLOR !UPDATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnyjohnny View Post

Honestly, it's much simpler to define a single standard for the country and require everyone to meet it. Let the manufacturers sort it out.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but it won't happen. It's just not financially beneficial for them at all.

Think of it this way, if you wanted to start a car company and only had 1 standard for every country.
    You only have to do crash test and all that good stuff that cost a s***t load of money once. But since
    it doesn't work like that you have to add this cost to EVERY market. Making it REALLY hard if you where
    to start a new company.

Let just call it a LEGAL way of exercising anti competition behavior.

That and the fact that the North American market still don't see a need for looser rules for city cars, and
    they don't understand that all those safety equipment are making car heavier and heavier each years,
    steering away from what a nimble, light, fuel efficient, city car should be. Since MOST of the population
    live in city, within a reasonable distance from there work, where almost ALL accident are relatively low
    speed, and where most severe injuries are to people OUTSIDE of a vehicule (pedestrian, cyclist, ....).

You can easily see this trough the evolution of cars like miata, civic, ....

I'm all for safety equipment, but there's only so much it can do. Right now, I would be willing to bet that
    there would be more live safe each year by repairing our road , better educating new driver (harder
    road test), but the biggest thing would be stir away from US mentality and incorporate traffic circle. This
    would mean NO MORE LEFT TURN.

And to stay on topic, I personally have absolutely no problem complying with rules, when those rule are
    ethical. You might ask what is an unethical rules. Well our system is a good example, it ask you to respect
    a standard, but does not let you comply to it. For example, the DOT light, DOT mean it pass certain test,
    but if you go in to pass an inspection they don't look for if those light pass those test they simply look for
    DOT. Hell, have any one seen what a '90 dodge neon, caravan, ... light looks like now, all yellow and s**t.
    Those light would certainly not pass the test now, but because they did when new and have a DOT stamp
    they'll pass, even tho you can't see 2 m in front of the car. LMAO. But they want what some of us consider
    a collection item, our pride and joy, to get butcher for the couple of time most of us actually use it. I don't
    see older cars with the 6V system being butchered like our car. And if you don't know how little light those
    car actually produce don't even touch this one. I know 6v system date back in the 60's, and that would
    mean it predate the creation of the Motor Vehicule Safety Act, wich was 1971.

What really drive me nuts, is the OEM portion, they say you have to have OEM every thing, not to modify.
    Are the manufacturer so good that they have achieve perfection, and no one can't improve or is it just to
    make us buy THERE PRODUCTS with a substantial mark up. I don't think that there race car use the same
    OEM product on there road car, why should we have to settle for it.

Some stuff I really have no problem understand why there really picky, for example the safety belt and
    harness, I have seen some really sketchy setup, but why don't they just give us a place with REAL
    knowledgeable tech that actually have the power to give a stamp of approval. Hell I wouldn't mind paying
    and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This way you get pulled over by a cop that just about knows how to put
    gas in the car and where the windshield washer fluid goes, you can tell him, here my license, registration,
    and compliance for my harness, roll cage, ... was done on blabla date it's still good for 1-2 years. Would give
    good jobs, lots of people would be happy, at least I would be.

I know a lot of people would say it would be a major pain, but think about it. I would rather deal with this
    pain in the a**, once every year or 2, then to live in fear of what the next uneducated cop that's going
    to pull me over. Because lets face it, society is bombarded with prejudice message, some founded and
    backed by statistical analysis but often taken out of context, other well they could have came out of you
    know where.

/end
    14 VW Jetta TDI
    05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
    95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
    95 240sx ( powered)
    89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

• Interesting stuff guys, I can't believe my little tirade inspired so much thought.

I can't blame the guys enforcing this crap too much, they are just following the rules, because they are paid to. Most will never admit it on a forum like this but I have had quite a few friends in law enforcement over the years and all of them have admitted to me that they hate coming down on someone on a law or regulation that they don't agree with (all of them were car guys, and thought alot of stuff was BS).

When it all comes down to it though you can blame the US for most of this crap, they have been trying to make every IDIOT that thinks they should have a licence and drive a car feel as safe as possible in the most littigous (sp?) country on the planet. This is why cars are getting heavier and heavier with all the safety crap so people can drive faster and faster with even less care and attention than ever before, because they have never been safer than ever before in their little personal cocoons.

The opposite is also why Japan has no problem at all selling LHD, HUGE vehicles in a country that really shouldn't have vehicles that big running around. Everyone is personally responsible for their own stupidity. No-one tries to blame other people or a car company because they purchased a car with the driver seat on the curbside and that MAY have contributed to an accident, they admit that "I couldn't see anything but I made the turn anyway, I am stupid".

Imagine that. Personal responsibility. Same goes for anyone here, if you can't see you don't move, RHD or otherwise (there are lots of times you can't see squat in a LHD car either).

These thoughts are why I don't think RHD will ever be banned, and the 15year rule isn't going anywhere. There are just as many arguments for and against this issue and that makes it too difficult to implement radical change in a democracy (that's the way it's supposed to work anyway.

Jon .
      Last edited by Dragon Humper; 04-02-2011, 05:11 AM.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
      X