This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tokes View Post
    I can totally understand why there's a 15 year law. Say you buy a GTR for 15K at an auction and have it shipped over. How much of that money goes back into Canada? 200 bucks for a broker? Some money at customs?

The fatal flaw with it is a lot of people want some cars that aren't available in Canada or the US. I think it would be a smart move to have importation laws like Australia. From what I've read, you can only import cars that weren't sold new in the Australian market.
    im trying to understand your post here... how would having australia's laws make it any different? we would still import just as many vehicles and the money the gov;t would take wouldnt change... sure we wouldnt see RHD honda's toyota's and some other vehicles... but those people who would have sought after such a vehicle will either build a LHD or import something else...

the 15yr law wasnt inacted to protect our markets, it was changed from 25yrs to 15yrs to allow people access to quality collectable vehicles... remember when the laws changed back in the 70's it had nothing to do with japanese imports...
    How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
    \'03 Dodge SX2.0
    \'90 GTR32

Comment

Originally posted by tokes View Post

The fatal flaw with it is a lot of people want some cars that aren't available in Canada or the US. I think it would be a smart move to have importation laws like Australia. From what I've read, you can only import cars that weren't sold new in the Australian market.
      this is incorrect. you can import cars even if they were sold new in australia. this does not apply to ALL cars however.

Comment

Originally posted by chefo View Post
        this is incorrect. you can import cars even if they were sold new in australia. this does not apply to ALL cars however.
        Chefo just check at the date of the post your referring too.

I had a paragraph about how the government always make money on cars sales, but not going to rewrite it all.

The government makes money on every car sale, doesn't matter if bought in Canada or not, new or used. You'll have to pay tax, import duty, .... Hell if you sell a car enough time the government can make more money in tax they what the cars was worth new. What a lot of people don't take into consideration is all the money the car manufacturer obtain by lobbying, as grants, no interest loans, employee subvention (amount given depending on number of employee, portion of salaries), tax credit (to the car manufacturers, to civilian, and corporation buying those new cars), grant for expansion (manufacturing plant or dealers), and the list goes on. The reason they are so successful in lobbying is simple, even if they are in a competitive market they are unified in the fight for common goal, can't say the same about used car dealership, which anyone can open, and is a very cut throat business.

Was a bit longer, but thats all I'm willing to rewrite.
        14 VW Jetta TDI
        05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
        95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
        95 240sx ( powered)
        89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

oh i agree with you. the government makes a ridiculous amount of money from taxes places on importing vehicles etc.

i was referring to the importation laws in australia and the fact you can import cars even if they were sold brand new in australia.

Comment

hum, just realized the post before you wasn't that old, just hasn't been much posting in this tread at all. lol

BTW thanks for the correction.

I know this is about the 15 year law, but anyone knows what ever happened to the amalgamation of the US, CANADIAN, and MEXICAN transport regulations. I know the US and CANADIAN part has already been done a while back, hence why we have some of those nice EVO around, but from the NAFTA Trade and Investment in the Automotive Sector, on January 1st, 2012 we will be able to import cars from Mexico 7 years old +, and going down 1 year every year till we can import same year cars. But I have yet to see a car from Mexico around here, and it's not like there is not anything nice either (Peugeot, Renault, Rover, MG, etc...), and reasonable price can easily be found. There even use to be a section on RIV web site but haven't seen it in a while, now they only have the US admissible list, almost looks like they don't want people to know they can buy Mexican cars :/
            14 VW Jetta TDI
            05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
            95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
            95 240sx ( powered)
            89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Originally posted by collector240sx View Post
              hum, just realized the post before you wasn't that old, just hasn't been much posting in this tread at all. lol

BTW thanks for the correction.

I know this is about the 15 year law, but anyone knows what ever happened to the amalgamation of the US, CANADIAN, and MEXICAN transport regulations. I know the US and CANADIAN part has already been done a while back, hence why we have some of those nice EVO around, but from the NAFTA Trade and Investment in the Automotive Sector, on January 1st, 2012 we will be able to import cars from Mexico 7 years old +, and going down 1 year every year till we can import same year cars. But I have yet to see a car from Mexico around here, and it's not like there is not anything nice either (Peugeot, Renault, Rover, MG, etc...), and reasonable price can easily be found. There even use to be a section on RIV web site but haven't seen it in a while, now they only have the US admissible list, almost looks like they don't want people to know they can buy Mexican cars :/

they are admissable for importation, however that doesnt make them automatically registerable or approved for on road use as that doesnt fall under federal jurisdiction, its provincial... its a bit of a circle jerk when it comes to legallity... but basically you can own it, but that doesnt mean you can insure and drive it...
              How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
              \'03 Dodge SX2.0
              \'90 GTR32

Comment

Ya as far as the Mexico import thing..

Well Customs and Transport Canada doesnt have any paperwork that can be used for That new Agreement so becase of that you cant bring any of those young cars into Canada.. Even though NAFTA says your good to go.. Customs and Tranport Canada says we cant help you cause they dont have the paperwork.
                Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Working...
                X