Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should be pay so much for insuring a Skyline? No, but I need help to fix this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh i hope this works...i would love to get insurance on my gtr

Comment

Originally posted by Bonsai View Post
      Hi Guys,
      I won't be reposting my survey with new questions or adjustments only because I already have so many responses from JDM drivers, driving all manner of JDMs. Feel free to ad your 2cents to your own survey though like I mentioned initially, it will be included when I start making presentations to underwriters.
      I had an informal meeting with two guys from Gore Mutual last night who seemed positive and wanted us to make our presentation- Assuming that some underwriter is going to give us good rates for our cars a great number of us would probably start signing policies with them- from the underwriter's point of view it is a great opportunity to corner a niche market.
      Anyway, the guys from gore were pretty cool. If anybody else out there could post or e-mail (craig@bonsairides.com) responses in the next few days before we start making presentations that would be a huge help!
      I currently have my Pajero insured with Gore Mutual through a broker here in Sarnia. I moved my whole policy over there because they were willing to insure my RHD. (My Skyline is insured collector). I moved my house, boat and 2 vehicles to them.
      Then I hear from my broker that Gore is filing soon for the same right to refuse RHD as most other companies.
      Now with that said, I haven't heard any updates lately, so hopefully your "meeting" with them has postponed it or at least got them thinking more about it.

Here's my info anyways:

Your JDM Make/model/spec/year: 1989 Skyline GTST, 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB
      Your driving infractions in the last year/ever: 1 speeding ticket ( in my big rig, nothing to do with JDM)
      Have you ever been in an accident with your JDM/was it the fault of the JDM: N/A
      Do you feel safe driving a RHD: Absolutely. Wife does as well.
      Have you ever made an insurance claim on your JDM: 1 on Skyline, attempted theft to the USA. May be my location.
      Did your insurance company have to provide you with a rental because of lengthy repairs: No
      How long do repairs typically take: No longer than anything else
      Is it easy to get parts for your JDM: Absolutely.
      Do you have a reliable source for parts: Definitley
      Is your JDM a target for theft: Maybe the Skyline, due to proximity to the USA and their "rareness" over there.
      Do you think your JDM is easy or hard to steal compared to other 15 year old cars: Not any more, immobilizers and fuel kills on both

My 2c:

I don't think JDM's are any higher risk whatsoever as a whole. Like anything else, different models carry different risk such as SUV's, or KEI class, sports cars, etc..
      Ask how many of these companies insure motorcycles. Sure they cost more for what they are, but are they being outright refused like RHD's? I think bikes are MUCH higher risk than any JDM I know of.
      IMHO, this issue, like any other with RHD/JDM's is being influenced by the junk peddlers of CADA.
      I had a co-worker think my Pajero was a brand new vehicle the other day. He didn't believe the year.
      People wonder why we buy these things.....

End rant
      Last edited by RixR32; 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM.
      '89 GTST - SOLD
      '92 GTR
      '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
      '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

We have been collecting data for some time now and have been working closely with several insurance companies (for our clients in the mean time) to protect RHD vehicles in the future.

I will post more when I can but this year we are looking to step outside the box and shake things up a little (in a good way).

We have even hired our own analyst and investigators to conduct white paper studies much like the ICBC one. Once things are a little more clear I will post more.
        Last edited by Matty; 09-21-2010, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
          We have been collecting data for some time now and have been working closely with several insurance companies (for our clients in the mean time) to protect RHD vehicles in the future.

I will post more when I can but this year we are looking to step outside the box and shake things up a little (in a good way).

We have even hired our own analyst and investigators to conduct white paper studies much like the ICBC one. Once things are a little more clear I will post more.
          Go Rightdrive!
          Hey Matty you guys are CADA registered, right? (Wether or not you want to be.......)
          If so, that should actually HELP, that a CADA member is sticking up for JDM's?
          What kind of "situation" could that start?

Rick
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

In Winnipeg, manitoba its $320 a month to insure a R32 GT-R

Comment

Your JDM Make/model/spec/year: 1991 Nissan Z32 Fairlady Z
              Your driving infractions in the last year/ever: None
              Have you ever been in an accident with your JDM/was it the fault of the JDM: No
              Do you feel safe driving a RHD: I feel secure, yes.
              Have you ever made an insurance claim on your JDM: No.
              Did your insurance company have to provide you with a rental because of lengthy repairs: No.
              How long do repairs typically take: I do all repairs myself.
              Is it easy to get parts for your JDM: Yes.
              Do you have a reliable source for parts: Yes.
              Is your JDM a target for theft: No.
              Do you think your JDM is easy or hard to steal compared to other 15 year old cars: No I do not. I have an anti theft system installed.
              ├┼┼╕
              246R 見渡せば 花も紅葉も なかりけり 浦のとまやの 秋の夕ぐれ

Comment

Your JDM Make/model/spec/year: Nissan/Skyline/Gts-t/1990
                Your driving infractions in the last year/ever:none
                Have you ever been in an accident with your JDM/was it the fault of the JDM: No accidents
                Do you feel safe driving a RHD: Very safe, I feel safer because if I was hit by a driver head on there would be more chance of me being unharmed because they would have to travel farther across the road to hit the drivers side.
                Have you ever made an insurance claim on your JDM: No
                Did your insurance company have to provide you with a rental because of lengthy repairs: No
                How long do repairs typically take: No major repairs, longest was 3 days
                Is it easy to get parts for your JDM: Yes
                Do you have a reliable source for parts: Yes
                Is your JDM a target for theft: No, thieves target common cars so it is easier to get away with it.
                Do you think your JDM is easy or hard to steal compared to other 15 year old cars: I think that it would be harder to steal because the ordinary car thief isn't familiar with a RHD car.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                  Sorry for the delay in updates- Between fulltime jobs this has to hit the backburner occasionally.
                  We presented to Gore this week, and hope to hit about 10 other underwriters, and if all goes well secure face to face meetings with some of them in the coming weeks. The process is definitely slower than I had initially hoped (which is partly my fault, sorry) but I hope to make some progress with my presentations.
                  Thanks again for the continued support and keep the surveys coming in!

Comment

Working...
                  X