Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got pulled over yesterday - Brampton

Hey Guys,

So i needed gas and was looking for a Shell station and in the process ran into some cops (RIDE program).
    It was a roadblock so all cars were being pulled over. So i creep up slowly, and one of the cops signals me to stop, so i did.
    Two cops came up on the left side and this is how it goes:

1st Cop: Good Afternoon, Sir this is the RIDES program so we checking if any drivers are driving under the influence. Have you had anything to drink?
    Me: No Sir,i dont drink.
    1st Cop: You dont drink?
    Me: Thats correct, i dont drink, at all.
    1st Cop: Okay, you have a great day. (and he walks away)

2nd Cop: Hey, do you have a Cat on this?
    Me: Yes i do.
    2nd Cop: You sure?
    Me: Yes i'm sure, feel free to look...
    2nd Cop: Do you have a muffler?
    Me: Yes that too.
    2nd Cop: Cos its awfully loud, its loud
    Me: Thats how it is...LOL
    2nd Cop: You sure, cos it's very loud.
    Me: Yes i can show you.
    2nd Cop: Do you have a RHD sticker?
    Me: No
    2nd Cop: Well you need to get one. If i see you again then you will get a ticket.
    Me: A ticket? The RHD sticker is not a requirement if your turn signals function as stated in the HTA.
    2nd Cop: Well you need a RHD sticker.
    Me: I dont think you understand what i'm saying...and i repeat myself.
    2nd Cop: Listen, get that sticker, you wont get a ticket now but next time round you'll get a ticket.
    Me: *deer in the headlights look* and i drive away...

And the 2nd Cop was a brown dude..LOL..Right off the bat, he was not polite..I should've taken his badge # and did something about it...Yes i'm brown too which is why he was probably being a ****...Probably just jealous and showing off his authority..I felt like telling him to write out the ticket just so that i can make him look like an ass in court.
    I printed the relevant section of the HTA and will keep it in the car for next round..

*Okay i gotta get back to work now*

Same thing happened to me once, not for Ride but for some stupid seatbelt and handsfree cellphone check. Cop asked about the RHD sticker but didn't threaten a ticket and was actually pretty cool about it. I had the printed HTA in bold and highlighted in my glovebox but since he wasn't being a douche I thought I shouldn't press my luck and just said thank you and drove off.

If GTRC sells really cool looking (but completely unnecessary) RHD stickers, would you guys buy it? lol.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

pics! put em on magnets, youll make millions.
      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Yeah, antagonize cops and gain attention from insurance companies. That sounds like a plan...

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

going to court is a waste of your time and money. don't invite a court date. avoid it if possible.

the cop gets PAID to go to court. you pay to go to court.

(fundamental imbalance in the justice system)

just keep the printout handy for when you really need it.

ive never been pulled over in a rhd car yet.. so i cant speak from experience

but basically here's how it should go down

be super polite and as soon as the cop mentions anything about a RHD sticker, just say

"excuse me but can i show you something?"

then reach over SLOWLY to get the paper... (the last thing you want is for the cop to think you are making a hostile movement)

then present it to him, saying something like

"with all respect, I believe that if working turn signals are equipped, the HTA does not require a sticker. this is a word-for-word copy of the act"

and if, after looking at it, the cop still issues you a ticket, fight it.

then when youre in court tell the judge the cop issued you a ticket in bad faith haha

or more realistically, set a first attendance hearing and meet with a crown prosecutor to get the charge dropped asap

Comment

Originally posted by Murchie View Post
            2nd Cop: Well you need to get one. If i see you again then you will get a ticket.
            I personally would have stopped at this and replied "Ok I will". Arguing with the cop can only go bad for you. Next thing you know he'll be checking other stuff on your car to find something he can ticket you with.
            R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
            http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
              I personally would have stopped at this and replied "Ok I will". Arguing with the cop can only go bad for you. Next thing you know he'll be checking other stuff on your car to find something he can ticket you with.
              Agreed 100%.

OP you seem to have been lucky to not receive a ticket, as previously mentioned, the cop gets paid to show to court, while you are taking time off work, and spending time and money to drop a charge you could have avoided.

But anyway, I am new to RHD's so I will look further into this RHD sticker.
              1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Shut up and nod is the golden rule. A RHD magnet would be nice, on for daily driving or whatever and you pull it off at meets/for pics.
                Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                  Shut up and nod is the golden rule. A RHD magnet would be nice, on for daily driving or whatever and you pull it off at meets/for pics.

I dont fully agree with "shut up and nod". I mean be polite and you'll be fine. Yes, respect the officer, but at the same time know your limits. No need to be afraid especially if you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Murchie View Post

I dont fully agree with "shut up and nod". I mean be polite and you'll be fine. Yes, respect the officer, but at the same time know your limits. No need to be afraid especially if you are right.
                    Yes exactly. I don't agree with shutup and nod either.
                    The cop telling you that he will ticket you against something that is CLEARLY stated in the HTA, which your car complies with is called harassment. In my opinion, it was a clear case. Op, you should ALWAYS have that paper handy.
                    1991 Silver Skyline R32 GT-R - SOLD You will be sorely missed girl :'(

Comment

I bet cops sit around and laugh to each other about how many rhd owners they can bamboozle with this whole sticker thing. I find it hard to believe that cops are that ignorant about this issue.
                      I canz take this corner at 195k cause i gots AWDZ. Get real.

Comment

They don't like being told they are wrong.
                        Polish Power

Comment

I find talking really really fast in a very strong english accent occasionally calling them "mate" confuses them and keeps the stop short

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                            I find talking really really fast in a very strong english accent occasionally calling them "mate" confuses them and keeps the stop short
                            Lol they would defs take you into questioning after that, probably thing you are doped up or something.
                            Polish Power

Comment

I have gotten that ticket in both my RHD Honda and my Skyline for not having a Sticker, it is 50 dollar ticket, it isn't a moving violation in NL, so I smile and take it, lets face it, we drive a car that is a heat trap. However I'm not defending the cops at all, but it is a losing battle. If you fight them, they will have a serious hard on to bust you every move you make, for anything at all. In Newfoundland, they want you to have the same sticker as the one found on a Garbage truck, and you are required to display it on the rear window, similar to a Novice driver's thing. So the last time I got hauled in, I was asked about the sticker and i said, Sir, the sticker is about the size of the rear window, and if it were there I think it would be a hindrance to my rearward vision, and could potentially cause me to hit someone, or worse not see someone about to hit me....... He then gave me a ticket for a loud exhaust which is a 100 ticket.... So I should have just shut up and took the 50 dollar hit and went on my way..... Moral of the story, if you don't want to be harassed, drive a Camry or something...... Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X