No announcement yet.

Importing a Car from Japan: My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone has a rhd japanese car for sale. i contacted him and he said car was imported into canada in 2008 but he lost all the papers so hes selling it. but he said he will write a bill of sale to me plus give me all the emails he has received from broker etc for importing it into canada. car is already in canada and has never been registered. do u think i will have problem in registering it in alberta. i live in alberta just to let u know...all we need is a bill of sale and insurance slip generally for domestc cars. do i need a form1 for this car?

Comment

Pretty sure you still need the Form 1, to prove that it was brought into Canada legaly.
      Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Yea Form 1 will be key in addition to the ORIGINAL export certificate/deregistration form...we need that in Ontario but not sure about Alberta
        97' R33 GT-R Vspec
        Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

How much would you say it cost total to get the car imported? Besides the cost of the car, how much was it to get it shipped and the cost of the help from the company, and fees? I live in the us where a car needs to be 25 years old to have it imported unless you get it from Canada. I am not looking to buy immediately because I am currently going to college but a few years down the road I will be looking to buy. Also did you have the company purchase the car from overseas or did you deal with the seller yourself? Thanks for this great post it has been very helpful.

Comment

Can someone pm me the contact info of someone who can do all the paperwork here BC side regarding importing in a R32

also, being that you have to have a re-assigned VIN, wont that cause problems later on down the road if you wish to take and register into the USA? The 89's will be legal next year..............

Comment

Al Thompson <alt@thompsonlogistics.com>

he is a customs broker that i use, and a ton of other people use..
              you wont regret using him..

as for the reassigned VIN's not sure how that would matter. to the USA.. as the reassigned VIN's are North Amiercan standard length so if anything it would make it easyer for USA peoples.

Comment

Reassigned VINs aren't necessary anymore in Canada. If the guy in the USA needs one, it's up to him to get it in his respective State. No point in spending extra money that you don't have to.

Jon.
                Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Don't think they do the assigned vin thing anymore, just the jap vin like everywhere else, or so I've heard

Comment

in BC you can still get a VIN if you want.. its an extra $25 and a bit of time..

but since its not required there is no point..

but if you want to have a North American VIN there is nothing stopping you from getting one..

Comment

Thank you guys for the info ! Truly appreciate it.

Comment

So I ended up buying a '95 GTR R33 Vspec. Going to be giving Al a call tomorrow morning. I hope I wont have any problems importing this model and year into BC
                        Last edited by aliasvfx; 10-04-2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X