No announcement yet.

Racing Harnesses. What where when why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, what's allready been said, there is zero point in putting in a harness without a cage. Your just asking for trouble if you end up on your lid.

Jon.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

id like to know what events u guys r doing that its possible to flip a car that bad?? Id run a harness without a cage no doubt. Safer in front side and rear crashes and u will lower laptimes cause ur not sliding around so much.

If your doing an event where its possible for u to roll without a cage and harness and a well built car...... well ur an idiot. Autocross you dont get fast enough to roll a car THAT BAD that ur roof will colapse. Ive even watched many drift cars roll badly without a cage and full harnesses and the roof doesnt collapse at all.

So the whole zero point to a harness without a cage comments..... u guys r smoking to much pole

Comment

You can roll if you hit a ditch.
        patch of ice around this time of the year, even summer hyrdo plane off the road.

You never know, it just happens....

Comment

but there is a differance between a roll and ur roof collapsing. on the road hit sum ice hit a ditch and u might end up on ur roof..... it wont collapse. they r soft rolls.

Comment

R32's are soft, I woudlnt take any chances. Its easier to roll a car than you'd think. Although it feels almost impossible in a track prepped GTR.

Comment

I have a 4 point harness with no roll cage or a bar. And I think it's more safer then with a stock 3 point set belt. Let me explain.

All of you, who have raced with proper 4 point harness and in a bucket seat, know that proper control of a car is VERY important. If you not fixed and slide around, if you jam your body with knees to help stbalize the body movement, it is very hard to control the car and do any counter measures when thing go out of control.

You take time away to feel how the car behaves DIRECTLY to your body. With racing harness you feel the G forces right away and can judge at what limit your car is at. Because your body won't move, your sight position won't change, so when you start to over steer, you will know right away. And you will take proper PRECISE auctions.

With regular seat belt you'll be confusing your brain ( reflexes): the car will be over the limit, but you will still be sliding sideways in your seat, or trying to secure yourself in the seat to have a firm pedal and steering wheel control. It can be, no... it WILL BE too late.

I went off the track few times (DDT at Mosport, Shanonville, Dunville) but never too serious, you will know what you did wrong right away, therefore atleast you havbe extra second to make *accident* more safer.

I feel myself so much safer AND faster when I am straped in and have full and direct control of the car, not when I am sliding everywhere.

By the way, I am 194 cm (6'4") my upper body is tall, so it moves alot under good G forces if I am in a regular seatbelt.
              When the sun goes down, RPMs go up !

Comment

Originally posted by bignate View Post
                R32's are soft, I woudlnt take any chances. Its easier to roll a car than you'd think. Although it feels almost impossible in a track prepped GTR.

actually r32s arnt soft. Compared to alot of newer performance cars, the r32 has a strong roof. They r built old school..... solid!!

There is only once ive ever been crazy glad i had a roll cage when i wrote off the HQ racecar. That was a serious accident but then again i wouldnt be doing that kind of racing without a roll cage.

Comment

i agree with brownyr31 and daniel1458 .i think weve covered this in my project page not to long ago.its all what your doin with your ride.every car in a build is going to be asked to do diffrent things so that said the belts tires rims ect... will be installed to suit the build.

i use my car for weekend drags and shows.i drive it as a daily in summer so
                  a cage is not needed im not rippin up the streets that i would be worried that i would roll my car.
                  thats my two cents........

Comment

ok here's a question. If you were to roll an R32 with no roll cage is it really that much safer to be using just the stock seat belt? The stock belt still locks at sudden jerking motions which holds you quite firm in the seat. Is the difference in wearing a harness that much more likely to cause much serious harm. The chance of roll overs based on statistics I'm guessing is pretty low, that's not to say it doesn't happen. But if it's going to happen you're pretty much screwed anyways.

In most other crash scenarios wouldn't you be better off wearing a harness?
                    Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo View Post
                      ok here's a question. If you were to roll an R32 with no roll cage is it really that much safer to be using just the stock seat belt? The stock belt still locks at sudden jerking motions which holds you quite firm in the seat. Is the difference in wearing a harness that much more likely to cause much serious harm. The chance of roll overs based on statistics I'm guessing is pretty low, that's not to say it doesn't happen. But if it's going to happen you're pretty much screwed anyways.

In most other crash scenarios wouldn't you be better off wearing a harness?
                      There are a lot of situations where a properly mounted 4 point will be safer than a 3 point without a cage, but a rollover is not one of them. The stock 3 point by design will allow your upper body to fold forward/down in the event the roof the roof crushes in. A 4 point harness does not allow for this movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Browny_R31 View Post
                        id like to know what events u guys r doing that its possible to flip a car that bad?? Id run a harness without a cage no doubt.
                        +1. 4 point allows you to better handle your vehicle IMHO
                        Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                        hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

In a frontal crash if you've mounted your harness to the floor (where else are you going to mount it) and the seat buckles, you've just crushed your spine. The cage mounted harness bar will make sure that the seatback doesn't compress and fold you in two. Speeds of more than 70km/h can generate the force needed to do this.

Jon.
                          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

does NISMO make harnesses??
                            Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

there's a 5 point in my car that's mounted to the floor and only use it at the track. I took a belt receiver from the back seat and mounted it for the driver's side, this lets me still use the 3 point on the street since the stock seat has the receiver mounted to it :P (you have to thicken up the tab and cut a little notch to make it work properly, but it's not really an issue).

I have it mounted to the floor because my skyline is still my 4 door family car and i need my backseat. last week I bought the wife a Mits Endeavor... hopefully that means I can put a roll bar in with a harness bar. no full cage for this guy in his street car (although it is fun to drive around with a helmet on and mess with people from time to time... just not all the time).

I believe a 4/5 point harness is safer in the sense that you can feel the car and is ok mounting to the floor but if you can, should have a proper mount point installed... I will when i convince the wife it's a good idea to spend more money on the skyline (or have to due to NHRA rules :P)
                              90 Nissan GTS-t Type M
                              Originally posted by DrMango
                              Your past girl friends must have really skewed your idea of what "tight" is.

Comment

This mounting to the floor dilemma was the reason i started this thread. I even mentioned the proposed use of a 3 point harness (not 4) which seems to use the stock mounting locations. there isn't much talk about using this type as it seems to be taboo to use anything less than a cage.

Schroth as developed a D.O.T. certified system using this method. This seems perfect for what i need.

Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Working...
                                X