Racing Harnesses. What where when why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Harnesses. What where when why

I"m looking here to learn about when or when not to use a racing harness, advatanges / disadvantages. I've half ass searched the internet to get some basic info but i'm sure you guys that are using them or are more in-tune with that type of motoring will have a better insight then trying to read radom pages.

What i've come to understand is that to take advantage of them you need to install them properly, many say only with a roll cage, but there are types that are meant to be installed without them. I see the posibility of back injury if the angle of the straps are incorrect.

Reason for asking is that where i live there is an abandoned airbase that's open for use as long as you respect some rules. 5000ft of runway can mean a LOT of fun, oh and there's 3 of them in a triangle with connecting roads...can you say Top Gear style test track? Anyway, i thought something simple like a 3 point harness might be a good way go keep my ass tight in the seat.

What do you guys know about this?
    Tџяϊsмø

ive been in racing accidents with harnesses attached to a harness bar as well as at a 45 angle and yeah the harness bar version was better even though the crash was bigger. Personally 3 point harnesses are a waste of money. Go AT LEAST a 4 point so your shoulders and hips are firm to the chair. If ur seriously tall then the 45 angle might hurt alittle in a crash as they tend to pull down. Im 5'10 and the 45 degree ones havnt ever hurt me in a racing crash.

If you dont have a racing seat then dont bother with any.

Comment

if you don't have a cage/roll bar i would say stay away from a harness, if the roof collapses during a roll over your head will be getting the full weight of the car.

A 3 point harness is an OEM seat belt.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
        if you don't have a cage/roll bar i would say stay away from a harness, if the roof collapses during a roll over your head will be getting the full weight of the car.

+1 Keep a 3 point if you don't have a cage.

Comment

this is the style i was wondering about. I see why the roll cage is so important, not only for the mounting but also to keep you from getting pinned or trapped when in a rollover.

Tџяϊsмø

Comment

how about this type of application? is it good enough or kinda shady?

Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post

in any case id way still prefer a 4 point harness. A 4 point is requested for non roll cage cars cause yes if u roll and the force is that strong, u will be pushed out the bottom of the harness..... gonna take alot to force u under but still..... when u roll and ur roof collapses..... its gonna hurt harness or no harness. (we have drift events where a roll cage isnt required but 4 point harnesses are as a minimum).

the setup in the picture is designed for people wanting harnesses without taking out their rear seat. works fine but for the cost id get a proper harness bar fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo View Post
                how about this type of application? is it good enough or kinda shady?

if your willing to become paralyzed from the neck down.. sure go for it.. :hit_head:
                Originally posted by Snow
                They should build an island in the shape of a race track, and then build the track under it. And air condition that b!tch.
                Originally posted by DreadedFist
                If it's not metal its POOP.

Comment

how so?? the bar is there so act pretty much as a rear harness bar but not as good. If that bar breaks..... well ur ******

alot of topless cars use this kind of setup for racing. Not my personal preferance at all but its still safe

Comment

If your at the point where you require a racing harness, is a cage not required also?

Highly doubting its a drag car, but if your want to ever drag race it, and you have a harness you must have it mounted to a cage says NHRA rules.

11.5 & faster in the 1/4 and faster require a minimum 4pt roll bar (hoop and 2 supports) and a race harness. You get into alot of requirements when you dip below 11.49s, and a massive list when you get below 9.99.

If your looking to the harness for support in the seat, buy a racing seat, if you want to be held in the car, cage it also.

I know its a drag racing thing, but i like to know that if my camaro ends up on its roof at 130mph, theirs a bar thats holding the roof up. Not to say i abide to everything, my vette has no harness, cage etc, so its far from legal to run the times it does. 1 run and i get the boot
                    1999 Corvette FRC Z51 - Modz.
                    1996 Golf TD IDI - Also...modz.

Comment

Originally posted by R32_TDOT View Post
                      if your willing to become paralyzed from the neck down.. sure go for it.. :hit_head:
                      I honestly didn't think those harness bars were so dangerous in a roll over but it makes sense. Maybe I should wait on my harnesses untill I get my cage built.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Browny_R31 View Post
                        in any case id way still prefer a 4 point harness. A 4 point is requested for non roll cage cars cause yes if u roll and the force is that strong, u will be pushed out the bottom of the harness..... gonna take alot to force u under but still..... when u roll and ur roof collapses..... its gonna hurt harness or no harness. (we have drift events where a roll cage isnt required but 4 point harnesses are as a minimum).

the setup in the picture is designed for people wanting harnesses without taking out their rear seat. works fine but for the cost id get a proper harness bar fitted.
                        3 point oem belts are designed to let you fold down in a roll over. a 4 point or greater harness will keep you upright. Without a roll bar or cage you are asking to be paralyzed in a roll over or even die when the roof crushes your spinal column.

You have way greater chances living with a 3 point vs 4/5/6, no roll/cage of course.

Comment

i agree with what everyone is saying, now i'm more pissed off that companies even make those products. Not that it surprises me that companies care more about sales then good morals.
                          Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Hey, if people will fork over the cash, they got no problem selling them.

They just give a shitload of liability wavers and have fine print in places to say its not a life saving device etc etc.

There's always that one kid who just needs racing harness for the "cool" factor who wants the harness bar w/o the inconvenience of a real cage
                            1999 Corvette FRC Z51 - Modz.
                            1996 Golf TD IDI - Also...modz.

Comment

I must say I'm guilty of using a 4 point on the track with no cage, but its only temporary until I do get my cage built. The only reason I use the harness is to stop my upper body moving so much with big brakes and R comps. I've noticed I'm faster (lap times) and less fatigued wearing the harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X