Buying Safety Gear(Helmet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Safety Gear(Helmet)

Hey im looking to a helmet in the mississauga area.

Do I need any special certifications or will a helmet from a motorcycle shop be fine.

You should check with your racing sanctioning body or their competition regulations to see if an M (motorcycle) helmet is allowed for the type of competition you are entering in. Some allow M helmets, but many do not.
    The main difference is a motorcycle helmet does not have fire resistant lining materials like a Snell racing helmet would. Snell helmets are classified by a 5-year certification system. Most competition sanctioning bodies allow a helmet to be used for 10 years. Thus, a Snell2000 helmet will be "out of date" at the end of this year and a Snell2005 helmet should be good for another 5 years.
    Note that the Snell2010 helmets should be on the market in October or November. Snell 2005 helmets are getting pretty inexpensive because of this.

Comment

Most lapping days don't usually care if it's a bike helmet or not.
      Once you get into sanctioned events they might care a bit more.
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

I'd suggest going for a Snell2005 racing helmet. If you decide to do more events in the future, you won't have to go out and buy another helmet to match the standard.

I've always used HJC helmets at the strip, good helmets and fairly priced.
        03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

Ive never purchased a helmet before. What should I be looking to pay for one in ontario? I went to JRP and a motorcycle shop both starting at around 400$. CT has one for 80$ but I dont want somthing crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bignoga View Post
            Ive never purchased a helmet before. What should I be looking to pay for one in ontario? I went to JRP and a motorcycle shop both starting at around 400$. CT has one for 80$ but I dont want somthing crap.
            I would definitely check with the club or clubs that are holding the events you plan on attending before you purchase.
            Many motorcycle helmets do not meet requirements of automotive track events due to not having a snell rating. At least in this neck of the woods.

Comment

here's a link for a reasonable priced snell SA2005 helmet.

if you go to the helmet guide link on this page it will give you some other options aswell

Comment

Helmet fit is crucial for the device to do its job properly. It is essential that the purchaser try the prospective helmet on for size and fit.
                A 'large' in one manufacturer's helmet can often fit very differently than a 'large' in another's or even from model style to another. Be careful buying one without first trying it on for size and fit. If you see one online that you think you might like, try to find someone local that has that helmet model and size, and try it on. Or, try a bunch of local helmets on, and then make that purchase of the one that you find fits from any non local vendor that you wish.
                Helmets are not a device that you want to choose the wrong size of.
                As for price; you get what you pay for, to a degree. Got an eighty dollar head? Buy an eighty dollar brain bucket. Two hundred dollars should get you a perfectly useful Snell 2005 closed face helmet. Start paying more and you are paying for upgraded features or for known quality name brands. Start paying A LOT more, and now you are likely paying for exotic matierials and again, for the name brand. Bottom line, if it's Snell rated, it likely will meet a minimum standard that has some validity and meaning.
                Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by BMXER View Post
                  here's a link for a reasonable priced snell SA2005 helmet.

if you go to the helmet guide link on this page it will give you some other options aswell
                  +1 for this helmet.

very comfortable, breathes decently and is very affordable.

Comment

If you get a Snell SA2005 helmet you cant go wrong. You can get a decent closed face one for $350 to $450. SA means Special Application and uses Nomex or equivelant fire resistant material in them.

Snell M2005 can be had quite cheap. An open face one can go for as little as $75. M means Motorcycle and has no fire resistant material.

As mentioned before, if you are competing with a sanctioning body, check with them.
                    1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
                    www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X