Roll Cage Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Cage Design

Just got the GT-R back from getting the cage installed. It is made from chrome-moly, all TIG welded. In the design we tried to eliminate any movement of the subframes (both rear and motor) by tying the pickup points directly into the main structure of the cage. We also added lower tubes along the inside of the top of the rocker panels to eliminate any chassis twisting.

The cage builder (Ronny O'Brien Motorsports in Brampton) does a neat thing to tie these subframe mounts into the cage. He cuts a hole in the sheet metal directly above the chassis rail where the mounts are and inserts a vertical tube down in around the top end of the mount. He then welds it all around and then puts a large plate over the top and then welds that into the floor. This leave about 2-3" of the vertical tube sticking up from the floor. He then ties these into the main structure of the cage, triangulating everything. You'll also note in the pics how he tied the rear mount for the front subframe into the cage by running a tube through the passenger footwell directly into the chassis rail behing the tire. I think this guy is one of the best welders I have ever seen - simply amazing artwork and a great guy to deal with as well. Every time one of his cars is crashed, he analyses how it stood up and makes minor changes to his designs to continually improve.

See pics below in JZ's post.
    1991 Case 580K 2WD Extendahoe (aka "Brutus")
    2006 Ford F350 SD PSD Crew DRW (aka "Monster")
    2006 Kubota F2880 60" Mower & 51" Snowblower (aka "Buzz")

Don't see the pics.

Comment

Yah, I can't seem to get this to work. I have emailed them to the mods, maybe they will stick them into the member's ride section then I can link them to the forum post. In the interim, the link to another web site works so try this.

Comment

Just plain gorgeous!

what will you be using this car for?

BTW, I saw your car at the end of the targa in nfld.

Comment

I've received and uploaded Ezzie's rollcage pics. Enjoy!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

wow! What a masterpiece!

Are you taking this to targa this year? Need a co pilot
            If you still have complete control of your car you are not going fast enough!

Comment

No, this car will not be for Targa use, building it up as a track car. Current rally rules (at least in Canada) do not allow chrome-moly as a cage material - don't ask me why, it doesn't make much sense. It is an ideal material for the GT-R because it is much lighter than either ERW or DOM steel tubing. Would eventually like to get back into doing a few endurance races like the Sundowner at Mosport. I have entered the 510 again for this year's Targa. Going to try and at least finish this year!

Comment

few guys here are being slapped with the no chromolly rules in targa as well by the FIA and subsequently CAMS who implement the rules in australia. Really strange.
                ѕhan :: play@ :: work@

Comment

Working...
                X