Canadian GTR - Initial Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian GTR - Initial Report

Picked up my silver GTR earlier this week.
    Put about 500km on it so far.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the car's performance given all the hype, and possible "cheating" by Nissan with the press and 'Ring cars.

However, the car has met and exceeded my expectations.

It has outstanding acceleration, in part because of the very low gear ratios (especially first which is the lowest ratio of any car I have ever seen, hence maximum torque multiplication), and high and wide mid-range torque. (I have always recorded G-force in each gear for all my cars, and the GTR matches or exceeds all my other cars in the corresponding gear (to be fair, some of the other cars, such as my Z06, carry the G-force much further up the speed range, since they have numerically higher gear ratios.This would explain why the GTR is so quick up to around 100 MPH, then tails off compared to some other cars such as the Vette.

Transmission shifting on the way up is outstanding - quick and very effective - there is no perceptible break in the acceleration. It is less good on the downshifts, where it can be slow and clunky, especially into first and second gears (this is not too surprising since these twin-shaft transmissions are set up to "expect" the next gear, and generally therefore expect an upshift). There is some noise from the transmission, but once you are aware that it is normal, it is perfectly acceptable.

Handling is excellent. Best 4 wheel drive handling I have ever driven (including a Porsche TT and Lamborghini Gallardo). Not yet tried on a track, but it seems to be more neutral, with less understeer, and quicker to apportion torque to the front of the car - if you get on the gas mid-turn, you can actually feel the front "pull" the car around the turn. Good steering feel as well.

Lots of features - the Playstation screens are great and very useful.

Areas for improvement:
    The ride is as harsh as reported in the magazines. If you are on a resonably smooth road, it is perfectly acceptable - it feels like a nice solid, stiff sports car. If you are on a road that is broken up for any significant distance, be prepared to lose some of your fillings!
    It was reported that US cars were to get wider seats to suit the wider NA asses. I may have gotten a Japanese spec version, because the seat is very hard and pretty narrow. The seat bottom digs into the sides of my thighs and gets pretty painful after 30 minutes or so (and I do not have a particularly large ass!). Side and seat bottom bolster adjustments would have been nice especially for peformance driving. Lumbar adjustment would also be nice.

Fit and finish is quite good, and consistent with Nissan's general position in the hierarchy. Many nice touches (leather and chrome) have been added, unfortunately, like my Vette, there are also lots of pretty crappy looking surfaces. (The most obvious being the very basic background finish on the dash piece right under the big display screen. They probably could have made a very nicely finished car with minimal additional investment/cost. (However, since I bought the car for its performance, I don't care too much about this). The premium silver paint is excellent.

Outside of the car looks much better in person than in the pictures. It won't win any beauty contests, but the shape suits the "image" of the car ie. serious, manly, performance oriented.

All in all, a great car - worth the wait. A pleasure (fun) to drive, and delivers all that was promised.

I do not have posting priviliges, so no pictures for now! (But you may be able to see the pictures on http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=1287

Now off to drive some more.

Sweet post man thanks for the review!
    -Ryan
    ryan@VEXperformance.com
    Toll Free: 1.855.VEX.PERF Local: 403.243.1111

Authorized Canadian Dealer / Distributor / Tuner for:
    Haltech Engine management Systems
    OS Giken
    TiAL Sport
    Garrett Turbochargers
    Tomei
    Motul
    Nismo
    Rally Armor
    COBB

Comment

glad to see you like the car. Will you be bringing it to any meets?

Comment

Thank you for the very well-written and, more importantly, objective review. It's refreshing to hear an actual owner's words after all the speculation (good and bad) on other forums.

Some questions I have:

1- Which version Z06 are you comparing the acceleration to? I have a C6 Z, myself, and have been wondering about the difference. I have felt the GT-R from a passenger seat, but not yet as a driver.

2- Have you tried to carry anything (suitcase, golf bag, etc.) in the trunk yet? Curious as to the usability of it..

3- Do you plan to drive the GT-R year round? If so, have you determined all-season or winter tire availability in Canada.

Thanks. I'm seriously considering buying this car, if I can get my hands on one.
        OnTrackDriver.com - Internet Community of Track Drivers

Comment

Nice, dude!

Bring it to our track day on Sunday, Sept 7

break in shmeak in

Comment

Nice review, thanks for posting your thoughts. Did you notice any change with respect to harshness between the different suspension settings, or are they all set to "teeth chattering"?
            2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
            And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

Originally posted by fire_n_ice View Post
              Thank you for the very well-written and, more importantly, objective review. It's refreshing to hear an actual owner's words after all the speculation (good and bad) on other forums.

Some questions I have:

1- Which version Z06 are you comparing the acceleration to? I have a C6 Z, myself, and have been wondering about the difference. I have felt the GT-R from a passenger seat, but not yet as a driver.

2- Have you tried to carry anything (suitcase, golf bag, etc.) in the trunk yet? Curious as to the usability of it..

3- Do you plan to drive the GT-R year round? If so, have you determined all-season or winter tire availability in Canada.

Thanks. I'm seriously considering buying this car, if I can get my hands on one.
              My Z06 is a 2006 C6. The Z06 is definitely faster if you have room to open it up, but the lower gearing of the GTR makes it more fun and equally fast in street situations.

The trunk is decent in size and shape, but modest in overall size(smaller than the Vette). I had my golf clubs in there without problems. As has been reported, it does get hot in the trunk, not unlike the tunnel heat problem in the Z06.

I do plan to drive it year ropund, and am confident that Tire Rack and/or the dealers will come up with a winter tire package.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRjoe1 View Post
                I do plan to drive it year ropund, and am confident that Tire Rack and/or the dealers will come up with a winter tire package.
                I talked with the Bridgestone rep at the GT-R launch and they developed a Blizzak run-flat specifically for the GT-R. 255mm fronts with 285mm rear using the stock rim. Whether they developed a cheap version of the wheel since then is not known.

I ran a couple pictures and info in Performance Auto & Sound Magazine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I would highly recommend removing the dry carbon rear undertray in winter...it is worth $7500

Comment

Originally posted by GTRjoe1 View Post
                  My Z06 is a 2006 C6. The Z06 is definitely faster if you have room to open it up, but the lower gearing of the GTR makes it more fun and equally fast in street situations.

The trunk is decent in size and shape, but modest in overall size(smaller than the Vette). I had my golf clubs in there without problems. As has been reported, it does get hot in the trunk, not unlike the tunnel heat problem in the Z06.

OK, thanks for the notes. Yeah, the Z06 gets pretty hot in the tunnel. If the GT-R's trunk gets that hot, my girlfriend is gonna be pissed when I melt the groceries! :-(

Let us know what you hear about the winter tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Z-Tuned View Post
                    I talked with the Bridgestone rep at the GT-R launch and they developed a Blizzak run-flat specifically for the GT-R. 255mm fronts with 285mm rear using the stock rim. Whether they developed a cheap version of the wheel since then is not known.

I ran a couple pictures and info in Performance Auto & Sound Magazine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I would highly recommend removing the dry carbon rear undertray in winter...it is worth $7500
                    Oh, ok. Thanks for that. :-P
                    Good tip on the undertray. Can this be done by yourself, or would a dealer have to do it?

Comment

^^^
                      We pulled it off ourselves in a couple minutes to get some shots of the transaxle and suspension. It was on a lift, so I don't think you can squeeze in there on the ground.

I may be paranoid... but I wouldn't want that tray getting cold, brittle and hitting a chuck of ice.

Comment

Working...
                      X